Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: road bike project scratch built

Bike
    welbike

and now the fun begins !

As some one suggested previously ABS will be compulsory for new bikes april 2020 so my project may be dead in the water as I have little chance getting it on the road by then . I see they will be some exemptions for classics and collectable and I have just emailed nzta to ask for the criteria but I would suspect with this idiotic government and the car /motorcycle hater Julieanne Genter at the helm of this that the would not have thought this far enough through. I am currently working on the swing arm so I should have it on the ground rolling and intend to take it to the certifier and see what he has to say.

Regards Ian

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    As some one suggested previously ABS will be compulsory for new bikes april 2020 so my project may be dead in the water as I have little chance getting it on the road by then . I see they will be some exemptions for classics and collectable and I have just emailed nzta to ask for the criteria but I would suspect with this idiotic government and the car /motorcycle hater Julieanne Genter at the helm of this that the would not have thought this far enough through. I am currently working on the swing arm so I should have it on the ground rolling and intend to take it to the certifier and see what he has to say.

Regards Ian
    why is abs a bad idea, it's not expensive when it's legislated in compared to not, it's a safety tool that a large percentage of riders would benefit from....

except to check the speedo functions why does a bike have to actually be running to get certified?

Bike
    welbike

abs

I am not saying abs is bad at all I think it is a very good thing but I doubt you could buy a retro fit system for a one off build
    Regards Ian

Bike
    motocompo
    I am not saying abs is bad at all I think it is a very good thing but I doubt you could buy a retro fit system for a one off build
    Regards Ian
    What about a full system off a donor bike? They're essentially a stand alone system.
    I have a complete system off an R3, weighs about 3kg if you wanted to try something.
    It's missing the front ring from memory.

Bike
    welbike

progress

Hi All. I have made some progress. got the swingarm almost finished and the bike on its wheels. It's always good to see something on the ground where it is supposed to be so you can see if it looks right as being up on a stand can skew things a bit. I am pretty happy with the way it looks. I took it to the certifier today and we had a good chat. he couldn't see to much wrong and filled me in on the procedure. He is sure that the ABS ( thanks bob re the ABS) thing won't be a problem under the LVV system but I am not so convinced. I am still waiting to here back from LTNZ. So far they told me there will be 100 exemptions per year for classic and collectables but in the info they sent me it only mentions "Imported " . No mention of LVV bikes . I do suspect that they hadn't thought about them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0157.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	343325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0156.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	429.9 KB 
ID:	343326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0155.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	343327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0154.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	343328  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Impressive.
    Rear shock vertical to almost rearward stance, possibly illusion. Did you base that linkage and placement on something?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    welbike

shock

The rear suspension concept is a copy of Suzuki XR69 with the ratios set up to give probably longer travel than the XR, the same as the gsxr road bike donor
    Ian

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hard to tell from the grainy photos that don't do your work sufficient justice, it looks like early full floater like on my RG250 Hybrid
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    welbike
    Hi all
    .fully finished the exhaust today. Not sure if I like it or not maybe a 4 into 1 may have looked better but I could always make another one later on.Anyone out there have a side stand surplus ?Some bikes like the gsxr have a bolt on unit and I may be able to adapt it to fit . regards Ian

Name:	SAM_0159.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	343416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0160.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	343417  

Bike
    welbike
    Hi All. finally got back to working on the bike after quite a few months doing other stuff. This is the outer skin of the fuel tank and for my first ever attempt at alloy work I am rather pleased . It is made up of 5 pieces and much to my surprise I only needed one attempt at each bit. I am still a bit nervous as there are still many opportunities to mess it up before it is finished, as it sits it still needs to have about 50mm cut of the bottom Regards Ian

Name:	SAM_0108.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	432.5 KB 
ID:	344892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0007.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	344893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0006.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	344894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0005.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	344895  

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Great thread, thank you for posting. Really nice work! Looking forward to seeing more when you get the chance!

Bike
    welbike
    what's the best engine paint?? I now have a complete cb900 doner bike which has been sitting outside with a railway tarp over it for the last 10 years so it looks terrible . It wont be for a while yet but I will bead blast the engine and paint it so the big question is what paint to use ???

Bike
    husaberg
    what's the best engine paint?? I now have a complete cb900 doner bike which has been sitting outside with a railway tarp over it for the last 10 years so it looks terrible . It wont be for a while yet but I will bead blast the engine and paint it so the big question is what paint to use ???
    Kiwmacchi posted something a while back.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131147418

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimacchi View Post
    Hi Laava, sorry, haven't been on site for a while....
    The paint I use is available from Resene Automotive Paints and is called Durapox. It's a 2-pack, (so contains isocyanates), but dries as hard as. The only area I've had an issue is the starter cover beneath the carbs where petrol leaked onto it. It's bubbled, so I need to redo that bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    i used resene durepox on the warlord, Grumph steered me that way. not cheap though, get the cases vapour blasted, bead blasting is for de rusting trailers and garden gates

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i used resene durepox on the warlord, Grumph steered me that way. not cheap though, get the cases vapour blasted, bead blasting is for de rusting trailers and garden gates
    Yes and no. There's a guy here in ChCh who I used to use a lot for bead blasting who 1/ only uses the bead once, and 2/ has a dehumidifier in the air supply. Using the fine bead his work was almost up to vaporblasting.

For alloy - like engine cases - yes, vaporblasting every time now. How much of the difference is due to the very fine bead used, I don't know.

For steel pieces - incl frames - that are going to be nickel plated, fine dry bead gives the best surface for plating. If it's not going to be polished prior to plating.

For steel pieces that are going to be painted or powdercoated, grit blasting is the best. Usually garnet grit I believe.

Trailers and garden gates - there are still sandblasters out there living off that stuff.

It's a case of picking the correct options for the job.

Thread Information