Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: road bike project scratch built

Bike
    welbike
    The gsx done using the duropox looks fantastic . As far as bead blasting goes I use two beads in my cabinet, garnet for steal and any some alloy, but for the nice alloy I use a white glass bead that feels about the same as caster sugar. The finish looks about the same as vapour blasting and the beauty of it is you can rub you dirty fingers on it and it wont mark. I may do the engine complete so it would be to big for my cabinet so I shall look at getting it vapour blasted . I have leant that it is very hard to mask something like a crankcase to keep all of the beads out

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd go so far as to say it's impossible to keep abrasive out of an assembled engine when vaporblasted. It gets past seals quite easily.

Pre lockdown I had this conversation with Kiwimacchi who has a very nice vaporblasting setup. He's extremely reluctant to do complete engines.

Look at it as an opportunity to check the condition of the internals of your Honda. The camchains will need replacement anyway - they all do.
    You may even decide to install one of Sharpie's manual camchain tensioners - which I highly recommend.
    Gasket sets are readily availale still.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

It's a case of picking the correct options for the job.
    and finding someone who is not an animal

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Unless I am mistaken vapour blasting is more or less wet sandblasting (or bead blasting or whatever-the-media-is blasting) so if the item can't be dry blasted, then it probably can't be wet blasted.
    The cheap-ass "vapour blasting" attachment for my Karcher water blaster works really well and makes a nice finish on engine castings but the media (in my case river sand) does get everywhere and past everything
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    welbike

cable to electronic speedo conversion

Hi All . Does any body know where to get info on converting an original cable speedo /instrument cluster to electronic ? one option I have is to run a period correct cluster on the bike and at the moment on tm is a rather good condition set off a cb750fa on TM but the problem I don't have a cable drive on the gsxr front wheel. I have seen on the net (but cannot find it now) some people install a electronic workings into the original cable instrument cluster.. Any great or not so great ideas ??

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    Hi All . Does any body know where to get info on converting an original cable speedo /instrument cluster to electronic ? one option I have is to run a period correct cluster on the bike and at the moment on tm is a rather good condition set off a cb750fa on TM but the problem I don't have a cable drive on the gsxr front wheel. I have seen on the net (but cannot find it now) some people install a electronic workings into the original cable instrument cluster.. Any great or not so great ideas ??
    https://evmini.ca/post/41472767634/m...ter-conversion
    You can also leave the mechanical speed on and just run a tiny MTB speedo.
    i have swaped out mechanical tacho internals for others of the same family but different bikes but never speedos

there are also these
    https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/electr...ve-conversion/
    $40

i would find a car dash and gut it and put them in your clusters
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...2675224015.htm
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...2676183191.htm
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...2675077279.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    just the speedo?, is there not enough shaft on the front axle to squeeze a drive in there? Those honda speedo clusters ran on laverdas heskeths and likely others. It's likely that someone somewhere has done this trick

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    just the speedo?, is there not enough shaft on the front axle to squeeze a drive in there? Those honda speedo clusters ran on laverdas heskeths and likely others. It's likely that someone somewhere has done this trick
    Plenty of Vlliers and other old pommy shitters were off the rear wheel.
    https://www.classicbritishspares.com...edometer-drive
    Ps my 197 James has a set Vincent flat handle bars.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Ps my 197 James has a set Vincent flat handle bars.
    so does my vincent.

Bike
    welbike
    Hi . I looked at that and the problem is the older bikes run small diameter axles and the later much larger so if I bored out the the centre of the 900 drive to take the big axle the would be no gear left unfortunately. The price on the converters mention are about $350usd so that rules that out

Bike
    husaberg
    Hi . I looked at that and the problem is the older bikes run small diameter axles and the later much larger so if I bored out the the centre of the 900 drive to take the big axle the would be no gear left unfortunately. The price on the converters mention are about $350usd so that rules that out
    Ducatis up until at least the Paso had wheel driven speedos
    the smiths one only seem t go up to about 19mm
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    suzuki
    most speedos have one of about two or three differnt ratios output from the wheel, and matching speedo, isn't there something out there with a similar axle size that will fit?, there's still plenty of bikes running cables like rf900

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    most speedos have one of about two or three differnt ratios output from the wheel, and matching speedo, isn't there something out there with a similar axle size that will fit?, there's still plenty of bikes running cables like rf900
    CB900/CB750 are 4:1 22240:60mph What model GSXR wheel?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    90s Yamaha too
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information