Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: road bike project scratch built

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I saw some retro looking clocks on Ebay.
    he wants to use a cb900f dash to go with the donkey he's running, hence the questions to get the speedo in the original dash running, either cable operating option, or inserting a digital speedo into the existing dash Drew.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    or inserting a digital speedo into the existing dash Drew.
    That's what I was getting at.

Bike
    suzuki
    That's what I was getting at.
    so it would need to be able to fit in behind what is there so the clocks still look the same and the ratio is still the same too

Bike
    welbike
    at this stage I am going with the cb750fa dash and a honda 400 speedo drive of the front sprocket . Hopefully the ratio may be close. My next trick is to find a 6inch headlight, I think the cb 7inch will look a bit big

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    at this stage I am going with the cb750fa dash and a honda 400 speedo drive of the front sprocket . Hopefully the ratio may be close. My next trick is to find a 6inch headlight, I think the cb 7inch will look a bit big
    Ratio willl be different I linked to a page with various ratios above. Fa dash is the same as the dohc k series dash iirc.

Bike
    welbike
    I missed that ratio chart the first time but good info thanks. interesting that some Hondas of the era had 7"1 even those wheel driven . I think the sprocket drive (7:1) is the best for packaging and If I need to get the ratio correct in the future.(as long as I get a cert/wof it may not worry me) I may be able to transplant a 7;1 speedo in to the 750fa(4;1) dash

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Ian I've got a CB900 Top gasket set if you want it. Can pick it up if you are over this way or I could drop it off this weekend if it suits. Just PM me your address details and suitable time.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I missed that ratio chart the first time but good info thanks. interesting that some Hondas of the era had 7"1 even those wheel driven . I think the sprocket drive (7:1) is the best for packaging and If I need to get the ratio correct in the future.(as long as I get a cert/wof it may not worry me) I may be able to transplant a 7;1 speedo in to the 750fa(4;1) dash
    Yeah Honda under 750cc bikes all had a different ratio that is why I can use a CB400/4 instrument set on my CB550F (7:1 ratio). CB750/900/1100 ratio is 4:1 btw.

Bike
    husaberg
    personally i would just redo the instrument display sticker .
    you can actually leave the drive as is and make a sticker. Or as you say just use a drive of that ratio as they are fairly generic i have done that with tachos before MB5 tacho in XL100s housing.
    the VF etc had tachos with different electrical configs you can alter built in.

Another thing is the cbr ratio might be 7:1 but its before an approx 3:1 rato secondary drive for the chain
    so it might disply the same as at 4:1 ratio wheel driven speedo anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so it would need to be able to fit in behind what is there so the clocks still look the same and the ratio is still the same too
    The ratio on the digital ones is set by wheel circumference.
    So do the maths on the sprocket ratio. Then use that division factor on the wheel circumference and enter it.
    Accurate to the mm speed reading.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Like this one.

#Aliexpress NZ$ 21.52 30%OFF | DC 12V Universal Motorcycle Odometer Speedometer Tachometer Motorbike Refit Vintage Instrument Scooter Motor Retro Black Meter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVcNk28

That might be cable actually.

This isnt...

#Aliexpress NZ$ 72.03 29%OFF | Motorcycle digital odometer universal LED indicator light multi-function tachometer meter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BfjegfCc

Bike
    suzuki
    Like this one.

#Aliexpress NZ$ 21.52 30%OFF | DC 12V Universal Motorcycle Odometer Speedometer Tachometer Motorbike Refit Vintage Instrument Scooter Motor Retro Black Meter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVcNk28

That might be cable actually.

This isnt...

#Aliexpress NZ$ 72.03 29%OFF | Motorcycle digital odometer universal LED indicator light multi-function tachometer meter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BfjegfCc
    the whole point of using a dash to match the bike is to look the part. I think the aim is to reatin the look and fit shit in behind it to make it work, and look the same, at least that's the way i'd be heading and read it

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    As long as the thread is currently about speedos, anyone know of a speedo cable outer about 1.0 - 1.1 metres long and which would fit Suzuki speedo drive and speedo (specifically 1982 GS models)? The current cable is 950mm and needs a little extra length to clear the different calipers now installed.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    As long as the thread is currently about speedos, anyone know of a speedo cable outer about 1.0 - 1.1 metres long and which would fit Suzuki speedo drive and speedo (specifically 1982 GS models)? The current cable is 950mm and needs a little extra length to clear the different calipers now installed.
    the speedo place in wingate, or a gs1000l one maybe? have you been on thegsresources and asked about lengths?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    L series GS/GSX speedo cable... Most likely available from Motion Pro. https://www.motionpro.com/c/cables/

Thread Information