Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC Cashback.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I dont think it is worth it.

I have three bikes - two of which I keep registered - plus a quad

Two courses to save on one rego aint a great deal.

Would much prefer to see the ACC levy on fuel usage - I think it is fairer
    They already charge 6 cents a litre ACC on fuel, along with a pile of ever increasing taxes by other names per litre. Would you like more?

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    While I think this is a great idea I suspect that the costs associated with this come from the $25 ACC Safety Levy that we already pay with our rego-Some time ago this fund had got embarrassingly high and a bit was spent on "stuff"-Is it a case that the fund is bursting at the seams again and this is one way of reducing it?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    While I think this is a great idea I suspect that the costs associated with this come from the $25 ACC Safety Levy that we already pay with our rego-Some time ago this fund had got embarrassingly high and a bit was spent on "stuff"-Is it a case that the fund is bursting at the seams again and this is one way of reducing it?
    ACC also lost 9 billion in a failed attempt to invest in shopping centres a few years ago, Fashion Island in Papamoa being one of them. That's in part why our Levys went up Under Helens Labour.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I just did Reg on my 2010 Falcon and because the sytem failed to encourage people into newer cars, Reg for the Falcooon for 6 mths is now 56 odd dollars instead of 40 something!

I updated the Boss's car from an old 94 Civic to a new Suzuki Swift ! Reg at the time was much cheaper for the newer car.
    Anyway the system has been wiped.

Bikes on hold, cos I can !!!!!!
    Not as quick on the bars as I used to be , but still better than a lot, I bet ?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    This all looks pretty good to me. I did a silver course a couple of months back which looks like it can be counted, and I'm planning on doing a gold course later on when the weather is nicer.

The silver course was well worth doing. A lot of what was taught was stuff I kinda knew, but I gained improved clarity of that stuff. I also improved my low-speed turning skills, despite the trainer never having dealt with someone on a DCT bike with no clutch lever. And I got to go out for the day on the bike - that is always worth while!

I'm not opposed to doing a couple more gold courses next year as well, more time riding the bike and I never mind learning stuff.
    I did the bronze one years ago when they first came out. I will have some more free time to ride this summer and had intended doing some of these courses for shits and giggles.. so yeah, see you out there.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Ride a classic, only $50 a year.*
    Attachment 342327
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...c15db062e7-004

* T's and C's apply.
    If I've got $45k for that, $500 a year for rego I dont care about.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    If you didn't meet the risk factors (crashing, tickets, claims etc) then you wouldn't pay more, the people in that bracket would.
    LOL you naive princess. Ask people in Wellington how thats working out for them, or Christchurch (admittedly in a slightly different context) but insurance companies are fucking thieving scum and if given a state-mandated opportunity to fuck over their victims do you think they will decline and say "Nah we already make too much money". The only way that works is if the state provides a third party coverage. We could say its just for accidents. Maybe say its no-fault.... and provide compensation. Yeah, lets call it "Accident Compensation".....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    ACC has figures showing them that people who attend courses are 27% less likely to make an ACC claim.

New riders are encouraged to attend courses by discounts on the time they have to spend on the 6L and 6R. This doesn't mean anything to anyone with a full licence.

The people least likely to do a course are the ones being targeted by ACC Cashback.

Given that we all accept that the cost of licencing a bike is dreadful, any way to get a few dollars back is a welcome bonus.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    ACC also lost 9 billion in a failed attempt to invest in shopping centres a few years ago, Fashion Island in Papamoa being one of them. That's in part why our Levys went up Under Helens Labour.
    Civil servants investing money tends to be less than brilliantly successful. It's not their money, it's only taxes, so they can let their imaginations run wild.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Civil servants investing money tends to be less than brilliantly successful. It's not their money, it's only taxes, so they can let their imaginations run wild.
    Surely opening shopping centres is like shooting fish in a barrel, Westfield seem to be doing fine.
    Maybe the govt should get out of the home building industry while they still have their shirt.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    ...Gven that we all accept that the cost of licencing a bike is dreadful, any way to get a few dollars back is a welcome bonus.
    if it were to set it at car rego price then the uptake would probably be around 90%

Bike
    It was on the good
    To be picky, my annual registration only lasts for one year so I don't know how a $200 cashback on annual registration works if it is actually paid over two years. Isn't that a $100 cashback on annual registration for two years? Take off the two courses at $50 each and it is a $100 cashback over two years. Take off your time faffing around to book and attend the course and $200 seems like a bit of an exaggeration.

I know, I know, it's not about the money, think about the improvement in your riding skills. Whatever. I can ride safely when I want to. I believe I have demonstrated this over my 23 years riding in NZ paying ACC and never making a motorcycling claim. While there is quite obviously a need for new riders to learn both basic and advanced skills and this training will undoubtedly reduce their risk the fact is that a fair weather weekend rider with two years riding experience has to be more of a risk to ACC than a rider with say 15 years claim free all weather riding history. Stands to reason doesn't it? And yet all they could come up with was whether your bike was bigger than 600cc.

Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The people least likely to do a course are the ones being targeted by ACC Cashback.
    I'm afraid it missed its mark if I am the target audience.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    ...I believe I have demonstrated this over my 23 years riding in NZ paying ACC and never making a motorcycling claim. ....
    Good on you. Safe riding and keeping yourself away from harm for over 23 years is an award itself me thinks. I mean, in the end that's what we all want. Right?

Keep up the good work. You don't need $200 noob rider bonus

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    XR650R
    to say the people who attend a saftey course are 27% less likely to lodge an acc claim would make it seem well worth them doing said course.
    it also indicates that course attendee' s could be more safety conscious , or are more in need of training?
    either way good on them for doing something to improve their abilities , and not join the statistics of those who have crashed.
    I might have to attend a couple of these courses so that I can get the refund off my registration, and I might learn something or at least remember something I've forgotten that I've learned

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    23 years ...Kiwi Biker riders need to know your secrets to survival..

I've not had a M/C related claim since I was taken out by a Granny in her Austin Maxi in 1986 when she failed to stop at Give Way and My poor nearly new Z1000 ended up with a twisted crank.I think they paid for a new helmet back then.
    The time I was knocked off lane splitting on the South Circular in 1990 on my R100 does not count ( was my own fault according to their insurance, which by the way is compulsory which I totally agree with for all road users.

As none of my bikes have modern rider aids I have to be on my game for riding around Auckland.
    Must book myself on the gold as I did the silver last year, whilst the cash incentive is nice its not the primary driver of safety.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.
    Stop learning, start dying
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information