Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Non-LAMS Japanese bikes 400-800cc with fairing/screen

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet

2022 Non-LAMS Japanese bikes 400-800cc with fairing/screen

I am looking for a new bike. Nothing against euro (which I love the aesthetics of) but having owned both, not again.

I think 400-800 cc is the sweet spot for bikes, and I don't need much over 100HP. However almost all bikes in this range are either naked, full track bikes and/or LAMS 'neutered' at about 70% throttle opening. This seems crazy. I would consider light touring, sports touring or adventure touring, but not a track focused machine.

I know I could remove throttle limiters or potentially remap, but I would prefer to avoid the legal and insurance implications of illegal mods.

So, my question is, what Japanese bikes in this capacity range can be bought new in non-neutered/non-LAMS format as at the time of writing? Ideally with decent weather protection and an IMU. Am I better off to just get a naked and a screen to tuck behind when it is pissing down?

Cheers

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    This is the only one which ticks most of your boxes, I reckon, just a smidgeon over 800cc.

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/yam...-09/999651877/
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You are right. Posed with this question, and an excuse not to get back out of bed after a post breakfast rest ( bacon and egg croissants) I scoured cycleworks mag 2022 models. There are no interesting Japanese motorcycles with a fairing in mid bracket. R7 looks nice, but moderately extreme riding position and not the motor to back it up. CBR600 is still made, not sure if imported. Perhaps these are too sporty for you.

Or adventure oddballs. Our once yearly tour group had a planning meal last night, and I sat next to a chap with a Tracer. Maybe that is the best with your imposed limitations.

I do identify with your list a bit. I certainly didn't need or want litrebike power on the road. My old 675 was enough to get on with and light enough to make it the equal of more powerful bikes. A small screen keeps away wind blast, but makes 160 feel fast (on private closed roads of course).
    And the 765 (2022) is even better. Made in Thailand, so not strictly European?. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Wouldnt we be looking for a VFR800 with low ks and service history? last model year

ten large seems to be about the money. Heres one set up for touring (price up that luggage set and rack it is $$)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...ing/3770401451
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Just looking at new, if the Tracer is too rich for your blood and given you're not fussed on aesthetics, there's also the old reliable Vstrom 650 which according to the website is "available as a full power model or learner-approved" although full power will still be well short of 100hp.

https://www.suzuki.co.nz/motorcycles...-abs/adventure
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Boom. And I think I have a screen that will fit it ok.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...5?bof=ecy9Kanu
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised nerd didn't jump up and down about an NC... https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...6?bof=ecy9Kanu

Dunno if it's too aggressive, but Honda has the CBR650R, but it's not a CB600RR that's super track focussed: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...3?bof=ecy9Kanu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Maybe that's not a yawn fest. Looks like it could be a great bike.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'm surprised nerd didn't jump up and down about an NC... https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...6?bof=ecy9Kanu

Dunno if it's too aggressive, but Honda has the CBR650R, but it's not a CB600RR that's super track focussed: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...3?bof=ecy9Kanu
    It was the “I don’t need much over 100hp” bit, if that had been “I don’t need much over 50hp” then I would have been all over it.

I think the CBR must be restricted, it’s listed under LAMS on the blue wing website.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    It was the “I don’t need much over 100hp” bit, if that had been “I don’t need much over 50hp” then I would have been all over it.
    Same thing, still under 100
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    I think the CBR must be restricted, it’s listed under LAMS on the blue wing website.
    Ah, could be. Once you're paying more for 600+ and there is no additional band, my smallest bike is 919
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Same thing, still under 100

Ah, could be. Once you're paying more for 600+ and there is no additional band, my smallest bike is 919
    Yes, if the OP wants to raise the cc ceiling a bit there'd be a lot more options.

Just thought of another, slightly more adventurous option:

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/produ...venture/xtz690

Or if you want to be really adventurous in another way, OK you don't want a Euro bike for some reason, so how about a Euro bike made in China?? It has many extras...

https://www.cfmoto.co.nz/model/800mt-touring-nz
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Blah the sub-1000cc struggle

I feel the frustration of wanting something under 1000cc but with more power than a learner bike. Honda has the CBR650R which can produce 95hp, but only the LAMS restricted version is sold in NZ. The rest are mostly parallel twins, so naturally the answer would be an MT-09 triple or Suzuki GSXS750 inline 4. But they're naked bikes so you'd need to find a screen.

Adventure bikes like the Tracer 700 may be a better option, or the sporty Yamaha R7 even though they're not 100hp they aren't restricted and put out around 75ish horses.

The expected 'path-to-upgrade' in NZ seems to be LAMS 300-650 for new riders then straight to a 900-1200cc on your full.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    There's plenty in the euro folder, but the Japanese have really cut back haven't they? You can't imagine a conversation in the 80s or even 90s where someone would be predicting such a high non Japanese presence in the market.

One can only ponder the market in 20 years when presumably everything will be electric, who will feature in the market then? All Chinese? As they decide to monopolise the availability of cheap batteries because they won't care how it is mined.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    There's plenty in the euro folder, but the Japanese have really cut back haven't they? You can't imagine a conversation in the 80s or even 90s where someone would be predicting such a high non Japanese presence in the market.

One can only ponder the market in 20 years when presumably everything will be electric, who will feature in the market then? All Chinese? As they decide to monopolise the availability of cheap batteries because they won't care how it is mined.
    I will be on a hydrogen fuel cell or pocket fusion powered flying motorcycle that will be ridden like wingsuit basejumpers fly. Yee haw.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information