Thread: raleri fogstop vs pinlock

Bike
    2019 Ninja

raleri fogstop vs pinlock

Good morning. Just wondering your opinions on the raleri fogstop vs pinlock systems.

Now the seasons have changed (although the lack of rain is nice) and fog is in the air.

I have a photochromatic visior but it is abou 2 years old so the effects dimish.

I have two options
    1 - purchase a pinlock visor and pinlock (Have confirmed they stock it for my helmet)
    2 - get the raleri fogstop

I heard the pinlocks do not always work but can be changed if scratched. While the raleri fogstop can not be changed and once its on its on. How long does the raleri fogstop last for as if it will work for life then it seems like a good idea.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

Bike
    Year, make and model.
    I've had no issues with my pinlock visor and would get zero fog build up. After about 12 months it's starting to let a little fog build up down the bottom when I'm stopped at an intersection. This could be fixed by re adjusting it, when I can be bothered.

After a quick Google search, the Raleri looks to have some pros and cons. They're cheaper, can fit visors without pinlocks, and should technically have a better seal (no need to re-adjust over time). But a downside would maybe be that you can't just remove them and re-apply them like you can with pinlock visors? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinu13 View Post
    Good morning. Just wondering your opinions on the raleri fogstop vs pinlock systems.

Now the seasons have changed (although the lack of rain is nice) and fog is in the air.

I have a photochromatic visior but it is abou 2 years old so the effects dimish.

I have two options
    1 - purchase a pinlock visor and pinlock (Have confirmed they stock it for my helmet)
    2 - get the raleri fogstop

I heard the pinlocks do not always work but can be changed if scratched. While the raleri fogstop can not be changed and once its on its on. How long does the raleri fogstop last for as if it will work for life then it seems like a good idea.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Just my experience:

I had a pinlock on a Caberg helmet from years gone by, it performed flawlessly after the initial installation until I retired the helmet.

Last two helmets have been from Bell, they didn't used to offer a pinlock option for their visors (instead they talked up an anti-fog coating which I found not good enough) so I installed a Raleri clear stick on visor for that. Installation was a bit challenging but I managed it, and I've been really happy with it since then (must be a few years old now).

Bought a better Bell on special which uses the same visor and decided to try a photo chromatic Raleri on the new one; my experience with that has been it was a waste of time, to the point where I actually contacted the supplier thinking they'd sent me the wrong visor as I couldn't detect any changes to the slight tint it always has when I was riding. They got me to try it at home by putting it in the sun with a cloth over half of it and low and behold, it did go darker, so no recourse there.

However I still maintain that it never changes for me when riding, or if it does the change is so slight as to be undetectable. It should be noted that I also have a removable sunshade ('super visor') on the visor which may be a factor, but I've also ridden without that and noticed no change.

As I said, just one person's experience.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Just my experience:

I had a pinlock on a Caberg helmet from years gone by, it performed flawlessly after the initial installation until I retired the helmet.

Last two helmets have been from Bell, they didn't used to offer a pinlock option for their visors (instead they talked up an anti-fog coating which I found not good enough) so I installed a Raleri clear stick on visor for that. Installation was a bit challenging but I managed it, and I've been really happy with it since then (must be a few years old now).

Bought a better Bell on special which uses the same visor and decided to try a photo chromatic Raleri on the new one; my experience with that has been it was a waste of time, to the point where I actually contacted the supplier thinking they'd sent me the wrong visor as I couldn't detect any changes to the slight tint it always has when I was riding. They got me to try it at home by putting it in the sun with a cloth over half of it and low and behold, it did go darker, so no recourse there.

However I still maintain that it never changes for me when riding, or if it does the change is so slight as to be undetectable. It should be noted that I also have a removable sunshade ('super visor') on the visor which may be a factor, but I've also ridden without that and noticed no change.

As I said, just one person's experience.
    Oh How annoying that it did not darken that much for you. i would just get a clear one anyway. I am thinking the raleri maybe the way to go. Will work until i get a new visor in a year or so and is ALOT cheaper

Thread Information