Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What mid sized Adventure bike should I buy

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So I'm no adventure guru. I
    The only rides I've been on are on a DT175 and my DT200. I did the hard stuff easy while people floundered on bigger bikes. But the road sections were grim.

Heres my advice for what it's worth.

Push the car out of the garage.

Purpose bike for any off road. 2nd hand and ideally damaged.

You will have more fun.

Fun is what it is about.

If you don't care about dropping it again. 650 Suzuki twin sounds good as you won't care about thrashing it. Keep the road bike. It will be safer on road tyres. Your life is worth it. Well I assume it is, I've only talked to you for moments . Let's assume it is.
    There was a registered CRM 250R on trade me recently, allegedly 6k on the clock. Looked clean as a whistle. Good on the road, excellent off it. Same weight and hp as a CRF 450l but with the aroma of your choice and a teal powerband.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I love my DR650 - They are a good balance of road ability and off-road prowess, they are simple to work on and they are fit for purpose. I've fitted a larger tank to mine as well as a small screen and a sump guard. It works well and all in all it's cost me some $9500.

Another option is the Moto Guzzi V85TT. If you've no ridden one then I'd be tempted to give it a try. Nice power and chassis balance and a little cheaper than the others you've mentioned. Give it a go.

Bike
    my little pony
    Ducati Classic Scramblers and Desert Sleds fit in the middle territory, power and weight wise, alot have moved to those to reduce weight, and easy riding position, and great town bikes as well.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    This is doing my head in. One moment I think go big and grab the F850GS. But a quick fang on my MT09 with it's sticky sports rubber and I don't want to compromise my road riding. So I'm leaning towards having to have a second bike. Go small, spend less and enjoy the lightness, chuckability and no stress if it falls over etc. fun of a X300 or the KTM390 Adv. Trouble is the KTM is months away - a summer of riding lost! Great it will arrive in time to enjoy winter riding. No 300X in town to buy if I wanted too. I could pop up to Palmy or Hamilton I suppose. But if I buy the 300X and then have to suffer buyer remorse when the KTM lands and turns out to be the better bike! Shit I am an impatient bastard when it comes to bikes.

Just to frustrate me more Kawasaki replaced the Ninja 300 motor in 2018 and web reviews are all full of praise for the more powerful 45hp 400 motor and talk of when will the new motor turn up as a Versys X400. Now that would be about spot on for my needs.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Your first road bike wouldn't have been your best pick, so don't be hard on yourself. You learn with each bike.
    On my Tuono I've used Ventura luggage for the first time, had to scratch the itch of having the V2 Tuono.

Except now I'll probably list it (if I get my A into G before the end of summer). Why? Well the itch is scratched, and soft luggage drives me nuts. I like my hard luggage, yes it could break my ankles when adv riding, but the lockability, security, waterproof etc etc. Bike wise, I love my 600km+ from the GSA. 155km before reserve (current "best") limits my fun...

You don't build up your specific list of requirements without experiencing things first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

You don't build up your specific list of requirements without experiencing things first hand.
    So true. I took the demo KTM 390 Duke road bike for a spin to get a feel for the 'power' of their 373cc single. It is, well how do you say it, a tiny bike. The first 5 metres and I almost turned back at the shop in utter disappointment. It seemed first gear took you 3 metre before needing second which took you another 3 metres. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and WOW. Those Duke 390s rock!

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed riding it. Without a doubt it would serve the purpose of getting me to, and propelling me along, gravel roads all the time with a smile on my face. I had to remind myself I started my riding days on 125, 175 and 250 singles in the 70s which probably had half a HP, but what fun I had on them in the dirt, on beaches, hills and rivers. Back to the Duke, 5th gear I saw 145kpm at redline, which is sweet enough for sealed sweepers. Didn't have along enough straight to top it out in 6th but I guess it would have done the ton. The big outtake was it can cruise sweet as at 100-120kpm and with a little planning overtake slower cars with reasonable ease. I consider that a box ticked. Can't wait to see the 390 Adventure in the flesh.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    MD,

Depends on when you are coming South. If you come in the spring you need a long legged bike with a bash plate underneath to get you through the fords. Snow melts in spring. Those tracks have some melted snow running through them.

If you come in the summer, you can ride most of those roads on a road biased enduro with the big luggage and half fairings.

If you come in the winter get the summer bike, but with heated grips and don’t plan on riding those roads. They’ll be closed.

There is no need to drop $20k into a bike to ride the South Island. My mates who are in their early ‘50’s and are long term southern riders have a DR, a KLR and a Funduro. I’ve got a DL650. All are below $6k. All will do those roads and have done. We use the two bike option. One shitbox gravel bike and one tourer.

The rental guys down here in Central offer the big Africa Twin and BMW 1200, the RE Himalayan 410, the DL650 or the DR/KLR singles. For day trips they offer a 230-300cc bike with no luggage.

Plan for late summer. The weather’s more settled, the creeks are shallower and the holiday makers have gone.

My thoughts.
    Ginge

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    Ducati Classic Scramblers and Desert Sleds fit in the middle territory, power and weight wise, alot have moved to those to reduce weight, and easy riding position, and great town bikes as well.
    Still got the Triumph scrambler. Goes more places than the mega whales like Bavarian Money Wasters 1200 etc.
    Admittedly has less carrying capacity, and doesn't handle as well on the road. But with the right tyres, takes on %95 of NZ open tracks. 10/10 for commuting also.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    So true. I took the demo KTM 390 Duke road bike for a spin to get a feel for the 'power' of their 373cc single. It is, well how do you say it, a tiny bike. The first 5 metres and I almost turned back at the shop in utter disappointment. It seemed first gear took you 3 metre before needing second which took you another 3 metres. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and WOW. Those Duke 390s rock!
    I had no idea of much of a torque snob I was, until I rode a mates 390 Duke. What do you mean I have to drop two gears to get some acceleration? Up and down the gearbox through rolling country as we slowed for cars etc. Mate on the other hand was stunned to remember how much torque you get on a 1200... barely have to change gears in comparison and you always have more.

I've decided I'd rather go bigger so it's fun on the road, and OK on the dirt. I'm not interested in sand, or camping, and since I've done Nevis etc on the R1200GSA, that'll be enough for me. I've also ridden the singles like G650GS, X-Challenge etc. Nope, hate singles.

Beauty is, we get so many choices, so we don't have to do what everyone else is doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Shop tell me they expect the KTM to arrive in March so I'm going to wait. The more I watch the KTM launch vids etc the more I want it. Has heaps of clever features and looks the part. The Kwak 300X looks a bit ..well girly. 300X reviewer rubbished it's full time ABS for both seal and dirt use. The KTM ABS has road and dirt settings, cornering ABS (seems a bit over the top to me on a 44hp bike) and lean sensor TC, up/down quickshifter (that would be awesome fun).

Bike
    Several old ones

Torque is king

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I had no idea of much of a torque snob I was, until I rode a mates 390 Duke. What do you mean I have to drop two gears to get some acceleration? Up and down the gearbox through rolling country as we slowed for cars etc. Mate on the other hand was stunned to remember how much torque you get on a 1200... barely have to change gears in comparison and you always have more.

I've decided I'd rather go bigger so it's fun on the road, and OK on the dirt. I'm not interested in sand, or camping, and since I've done Nevis etc on the R1200GSA, that'll be enough for me. I've also ridden the singles like G650GS, X-Challenge etc. Nope, hate singles.

Beauty is, we get so many choices, so we don't have to do what everyone else is doing.
    Yes I agree, 1200 Torque is addictive, especially on the highway, having to change down gear to pass is a pain. Not for those on small bikes that know no better, but once you have big torque it is very hard not to live without it. Twist and Go, I love it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Yes I agree, 1200 Torque is addictive, especially on the highway, having to change down gear to pass is a pain. Not for those on small bikes that know no better, but once you have big torque it is very hard not to live without it. Twist and Go, I love it.
    Some us really don't give a fuck. Tight twisty roads is what motorcycle on roads is all about.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Red face

yeeaaahhhh.. the Kawasaki Versys 650 could be the ideal all rounder, 21 litre tank, economical 650cc, light for an ADV but needs ADV tires to be better on gravel, the kawasaki hard luggage system is tidy with no bulky luggage frames uglying-up the bike when luggage is removed, adjustable screen height can be raised or lowered to alter the profile of the bike, rear preload can be adjusted on the fly, plus it can still carve up the curvy roads with some ferocity compared to similar rivals like the sleepy Vstrom. VERSYS stands for Versatile System which describes the bike to a T.

it seems the decision was made, however it's possible someone else might stumble through this thread with a similar question.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    There are rumours that Yamaha may be considering a baby Tenere with the MT03 motor.

That could be a very useful wee bike.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    There are rumours that Yamaha may be considering a baby Tenere with the MT03 motor.

That could be a very useful wee bike.
    Tenere 700, my mate has one done 11k on it now he's off a DR650. He loves it. I've had a squirt on it recently. Love the lighter weight and the no bull-shit lack of electronic aides. Just like the original. And, it's well priced. A no brainer. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had some room to put it.

Thread Information