Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What mid sized Adventure bike should I buy

Bike
    Several old ones

What mid sized Adventure bike should I buy

I would like an honest opinion of what midsized USED adventure bike I should buy. 650-900cc

Must be comfortable , vibe free, reliable, not too high a seat height, 830mm max.

Preferably comments from those that have ridden many mid sized bikes.

I do 90% of my riding on sealed roads, as most do.

As this is an adventure thread, I trust the trolls will miss it.

Hoping

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    I would like an honest opinion of what midsized USED adventure bike I should buy. 650-900cc

Must be comfortable , vibe free, reliable, not too high a seat height, 830mm max.

Hoping
    Never trust A TROLL, my latest motorcycle is a Nonda Africa Twin DCT model 2016. Love this machine, it goes everywhere I want it too, yes metal roads too, just haven't got a bad word to say about her.
    Average 4.6-8 Litres per 100 K's, without molycoddling her and amazing suspension and road holding on Conti's (of all things ) on road and off. You'd go a bloody long way to find a better compromise (not that it is) she does both equally well.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA

Hoping
    If your budget is appropriate, seriously consider the Triumph Tiger in the 800 XCA configuration.

It's lighter than the Africa Twin mentioned above, loves tarmac, adores gravel, 4.5 - 5 L/100km (depending on how bendy your right wrist is).

The XCA has a 21 inch front, WP suspension, and depending on the year, heated grips and heated seats (awesome at this time of year!), with auxiliary lights. I run Metzeler Tourance tyres and do 90% tarmac - get about 16K out of a back tyre.

0 to 100 (in first gear) in 3.5 seconds, very flickable, good brakes and comfortable seating position (in 6 ft 1in).

I've also fitted a Scottoiler and Pivot pegs.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    My ride is one of the big adventure beasties but have tried some of the smaller offerings.

The VStrom 650 offers terrific bang for your buck, parts can be bought in a butchers shop and there are good aftermarket options for making it yours. One of the most comfortable seats I have every tried.

With the new F750/850GS from BMW you should see a sharpening of pricing for the older but capable F700/800. The motors in these are not awe inspiring but they are a very decent bike and are well put together. The 800 having a distinct power advantage.

The Tiger 800 is awesome. The motor is sublime. In my limited experience, the 800 is better than the 1200 and I love shaft drive.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Hoping
    When ADV riding what are we talking about? Gravel or dirt?

That makes a huge difference in what you go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

The Tiger 800 is awesome. The motor is sublime. In my limited experience, the 800 is better than the 1200 and I love shaft drive.
    You're not wrong!

Fun equals 800, low maintenance (heavy) workhorse equals 1200

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I reckon a Superduke 790 with adventure tyres would be a hoot, really light, powerful and not to expensive....
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I reckon a Superduke 790 with adventure tyres would be a hoot, really light, powerful and not to expensive....
    Guy on the Adventure FB page has done just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Well, as a road bike, the Duke 790 is massive fun. Haven't stopped laughing in the 5 months I've owned it. The proper off road version is available now, albeit about 20 kg heavier at around 190 kg. Still pretty light though.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Or the 700...

TBH I ride 70 / 30 tar and gravel on my TDM, it's perfect for it. A hoot everywhere under 150kmh. (Private roads obviously)

Looking forward to the T7 arriving and having some equilibrium in my life, 50/50 riding with added trails.

The sad part is my TDM is worth about a dozen Rheineck and half a tube of Pringles.

Make an offer OP...

Have a look at what people are doing with the plethora of middle weight BMW's, V Stroms, the CB 500 / NC 750, Versys etc. Loads of bikes capable of great tar seal riding and a fun foray onto the gravel, now and again.

Very few non single middle weights, at the moment, capable of the Sahara or Simpson deserts. But they are coming.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Never trust A TROLL, my latest motorcycle is a Nonda Africa Twin DCT model 2016. Love this machine, it goes everywhere I want it too, yes metal roads too, just haven't got a bad word to say about her.
    Average 4.6-8 Litres per 100 K's, without molycoddling her and amazing suspension
    and road holding on Conti's (of all things ) on road and off. You'd go a bloody long way to find a better compromise (not that it is) she does both equally well.
    Great bikes worried about the seat height ?? I know the adventure model is very tall.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    If your budget is appropriate, seriously consider the Triumph Tiger in the 800 XCA configuration.

It's lighter than the Africa Twin mentioned above, loves tarmac, adores gravel, 4.5 - 5 L/100km (depending on how bendy your right wrist is).

The XCA has a 21 inch front, WP suspension, and depending on the year, heated grips and heated seats (awesome at this time of year!), with auxiliary lights. I run Metzeler Tourance tyres and do 90% tarmac - get about 16K out of a back tyre.

0 to 100 (in first gear) in 3.5 seconds, very flickable, good brakes and comfortable seating position (in 6 ft 1in).

I've also fitted a Scottoiler and Pivot pegs.

Thanks for the info. I will try and find one to ride. Glad you like it.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    My ride is one of the big adventure beasties but have tried some of the smaller offerings.

The VStrom 650 offers terrific bang for your buck, parts can be bought in a butchers shop and there are good aftermarket options for making it yours. One of the most comfortable seats I have every tried.

With the new F750/850GS from BMW you should see a sharpening of pricing for the older but capable F700/800. The motors in these are not awe inspiring but they are a very decent bike and are well put together. The 800 having a distinct power advantage.

Thanks for the advice. Good ol V strom you cannot really critisize them, maybe lacking a wee bit of character if you know what I mean.

Looking at the 700 beemer, the 800 has a higher seat height than the 1200GS, I already own a 1200, and will not sell it, its a great bike.

Must take a Tiger for a ride , dont know much about them. Thanks

Thread Information