Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First time visitor to NZ - avoiding speeding fines

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I'm a bit older than you, OP, so a bit more conservative (and now an ex-biker following being taken out by a taxi). Didn't ride a sports bike either, just a mid-size cruiser (Suzuki Boulevard M50).

I used to make my maximum speed 110 to 115 km/hr, over that the camera fines would get too much. I'd find that my average speed between points would be about 80 km/hr, you can average faster but you have to raise your maximum.

As for posted corner speeds, generally you can go around at much higher speeds than posted even on a mid-size cruiser, but if you're going out to Kawhia on the west coast of the North Island then do take notice of the sharp left hand bend with the 35 (or even 25) km/hr posted speed - its not the corner so much as its a place where loose gravel tends to collect.

Once you're down the South Island you'll recognise the problem we have with tourists who forget we drive on the left. Nothing more sphincter tightening than to meet a car coming toward you on your side of the road. Down south they paint big arrows on the road to remind tourists which side of the road they're supposed to be driving on.

Going up to the Scottish Highlands huh, don't worry about the sheep - it's the bloody big shaggy haired cows with the big horns that'd worry me.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    That's no way to refer to Scottish ladies, Old Steve.

Some of them don't even use the horn.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    The approved speed for any corner is kmh == mph x 2 plus 10. : so, a sign signposted for 35kph can be ridden at 80mph or around 140.

I've found it's difficult to go more than 3x the indicated
    corner speed, on the cliffhanger hillclimb I was going around the 35k corner at 120-130kph but that was using both sides of the road, in practice I managed to do 110kph on the left hand side around it, but that was using every 3mm of the side tread , in general I've found twice the signposted speed is easily achieved, but I like to have a margin of safety for the unexpected
    Words fail me....I suggest your site name is entirely appropriate.

Or you're F.O.S.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Words fail me....I suggest your site name is entirely appropriate.

Or you're F.O.S.
    he's been full of shit for a long time, here's the record run up the same hill on board Jay Lawrence's bike, he's doing 105km'h round the same corner.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubGVzd64rg

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    he's been full of shit for a long time, here's the record run up the same hill on board Jay Lawrence's bike, he's doing 105km'h round the same corner.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubGVzd64rg
    You and your damn facts & evidence again.
    Allowing for the fact that the bike is rolled over on to the small of the tyre, the real road speed would actually be lower than what the speedo is showing.

Thread Information