Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryco oil filters

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    They don?t. There is a Ryco motorcycle filter catalogue and it recommends one of their motorcycle filters for the Ninja 300. They don?t have a recommendation for the 400.
    I believe the 400 is from the 650 clan rather than the 300 one.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There have been many discussions on various US forums about oil filters for motorcycles. The Holy Grail for the Yanks seems to be do it cheap with Shell Rotella oil and $2 Supertech filters from Walmart.

Whatever. But I don't know enough to make an informed decision, so I use OE filters in the R1, which are made by Denso to Yamaha specs. They are like NZ$30 here, but I buy them from the US for about $15. Probably cheaper than Ryco.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    For that ryco policy to be applicable, it has to be the filter than is the proven cause of the engine damage......... plus satisfy all the other get out of jail free fineprint.
    Even if the filter is the cause, if ryco say it isn't for that vehic le then their is no claim on ryco.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Even if the filter is the cause, if ryco say it isn't for that vehic le then their is no claim on ryco.
    yip............. and cause Kawasaki said it can only use approved parts and service agents they wash their hands also.
    Manufacturers can be real a-holes with warranty claims sometimes.
    Years ago we had a fleet of couriers and Ford used to be a-holes about the gearboxs blaming the drivers etc
    We had a few Mazdas inherited from a merger, Mazda just replaced them and said there was a fault no issue.
    Same with the radiators on the 4WD the fan could hit them under some circumstances, Ford knew this and when the radiators and the Fords cooked they moved the radiator forward while still claiming it wasn't a fault blaming the drivers for going through eater and all sorts of other crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    yip............. and cause Kawasaki said it can on;ly use approved parts and service agents they wash their hands also.
    Years ago we had a fleet of couriers and Ford used to be a-holes about the gearboxs blaming the drivers etc
    We had a few Mazdas inherited from a merger, Mazda just replaced them and said there was a fault no issue.
    Same with the radiators on the 4WD the fan could hit them under some circumstances, Ford knew this and when the radiators and the Fords cooked they moved the radiator forward while still claiming it wasn't a fault blaming the drivers for going through eater and all sorts of other crap.
    Actually kawasaki cannot void a warranty if parts are not genuine or they don't do the service themselves. But in this case they may have a point if only a legal point as i can't see how a filter with a bypass valve can alter pressure. The bike owner is screwed either way here.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Actually kawasaki cannot void a warranty if parts are not genuine or they don't do the service themselves. But in this case they may have a point if only a legal point as i can't see how a filter with a bypass valve can alter pressure. The bike owner is screwed either way here.
    youre right
    thats silly of them

AM I REQUIRED TO TAKE MY KAWASAKI VEHICLE TO AN AUTHORIZED KAWASAKI DEALER FOR SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE WORK?
    No, but we request that you keep written records and receipts showing that the service and maintenance work has been performed according to the schedule of maintenance in your Owner's Manual.
    CAN I DO MY OWN OIL CHANGES?

Yes, but we request that you keep written records and copies of receipts showing the oil changes were done.
    that's out of the yank one which is the only one i can find
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    So to sum up....If your bike is out of warantee or used on the track, it's fine to use Ryco filters.

If your bike is still in warantee BUT Ryco has no listing for your specific model - even if they have one the right size and shape - don't use them.

If they do have a specific listing, yes, fine.

Personal experience shows me that Ryco are as good as anything on the market. I have no hesitation using them.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    be interested to see / hear what the oil starvation issue was from -- was it not leveled right to begin with? was it realllllly the filter? --- bike wasnt looking like a 2 stroke before it leaned out was it lol? --- pretty hard to blame the oil filter but I guess like insurance, any hang up is a way to get off paying

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    be interested to see / hear what the oil starvation issue was from -- was it not leveled right to begin with? was it realllllly the filter? --- bike wasnt looking like a 2 stroke before it leaned out was it lol? --- pretty hard to blame the oil filter but I guess like insurance, any hang up is a way to get off paying
    IMO if they're blaming it on "lower oil pressure" due to a more restrictive filter then the supply to the heads is marginal anyway.
    How it works is that the relief valve will still hold the system pressure at the correct figure. If the flow volume is reduced then yes, damage can occur.
    It'd be interesting to hear what if any lower end damage has been done.

Also be interesting to see if there's a recall or a tech bulletin about it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Considering the low mileage of the failed bike = "The dudes bike only has a bit over 1000kms on it and he changed the filter at 850kms" - wouldn't the first service at around 1000km be required to be done by the dealer to maintain warranty?

I know some Kawasakis (KLRs) are known to have lots of oil related cylinder head failures, but thats always a result of oil starvation from low oil level, not lack of pressure.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I know some Kawasakis (KLRs) are known to have lots of oil related cylinder head failures, but thats always a result of oil starvation from low oil level, not lack of pressure.

what I was thinking! seems more like user failed to service the bike proper themselves --- not doing it at dealer for first run and having major fail is really rare bad luck or bad self servicing...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    what I was thinking! seems more like user failed to service the bike proper themselves --- not doing it at dealer for first run and having major fail is really rare bad luck or bad self servicing...
    Just curious....

What is your level of mechanical knowledge and aptitude?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katspam View Post
    Just curious....

What is your level of mechanical knowledge and aptitude?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43805349982_c1a49c456d_b.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	342462
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130863607
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Street Triple R
    If the thing is still under warranty you might find that unless a Kawasaki filter is used that is installed by an approved factory trained technician, in the specifically factory approved hermetically sealed workshop that makes the HRC MotoGP shop look like a back yard chop shop, using only platinum and iridium plated factory Kawasaki service tools, and only after singing the Kawasaki corporate song, and doing the company approved calisthenics and the company approved 45 minutes of Zen meditation, then it ain't covered. Just saying.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    If the thing is still under warranty you might find that unless a Kawasaki filter is used that is installed by an approved factory trained technician, in the specifically factory approved hermetically sealed workshop that makes the HRC MotoGP shop look like a back yard chop shop, using only platinum and iridium plated factory Kawasaki service tools, and only after singing the Kawasaki corporate song, and doing the company approved calisthenics and the company approved 45 minutes of Zen meditation, then it ain't covered. Just saying.
    And for a suitable fee, you'd be prepared to argue that of course, LOL.

I do wonder, given that the original owner mentioned here is Australian and did his own first service, just how far from civilisation he is.
    It's entirely possible he's at the back of beyond, well out of feasible reach of a dealer....

Thread Information