Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryco oil filters

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike

Ryco oil filters

Anyone heard of any issues regarding use of Ryco oil filters in bike engines?
    A guy in Aussie with damage to his engine heads was told by his dealer that Kawasaki wouldn't support his warranty because the damage was due to oil starvation due to lower oil pressure from the aftermarket Ryco Z436 oil filter he fitted.
    I have the same bike as this guy (Ninja 400) and have been using the same filter since the 1000km first service. Now at 8,500km with no probs.
    The dudes bike only has a bit over 1000kms on it and he changed the filter at 850kms so sounds like complete bull shit to me.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern scratcher View Post
    A guy in Aussie with damage to his engine heads was told by his dealer that Kawasaki wouldn't support his warranty because the damage was due to oil starvation due to lower oil pressure from the aftermarket Ryco Z436 oil filter he fitted.
    I have the same bike as this guy (Ninja 400) and have been using the same filter since the 1000km first service. Now at 8,500km with no probs.
    The dudes bike only has a bit over 1000kms on it and he changed the filter at 850kms so sounds like complete bull shit to me.
    What a load of cock.
    I've run Z436 on my wife's yzf600 powered road race sidecar for a decade & its never suffered any damage from oil starvation.
    I'd suggest Kawasaki found a loophole & used it by throwing Ryco under the bus.
    Pretty shit business practice all round Really.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Don't use car filters on a motorbike.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Any reason why not?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Any reason why not?
    I'd like to know why not too. Please provide very good reasons.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Any reason why not?
    It avoids problems like this. Ryco don't recommend that filter, so he will have no comeback against them either.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'd like to know why not too. Please provide very good reasons.
    if the filters aren't good enough for a motorbike then they're not good enough for a car either.
    I have fitted thousands of Ryco filters & apart from the time when the machine in Thailand ran out of sealant for several days & every Z386 leaked there were no issues whatsoever.
    Can someone point out where it's specifically excluded for motorcycle use.
    https://www.ryco.co.nz/catalogue/part/index/part/Z436 New vehicle warranty protection?
    The spring loaded valve in the centre allows filter medium bypass in the event of low flow, so that theory dosent wash either.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Ryco themselves provide a warranty so if Kawasaki can prove that engine damage was a direct result of the filter, the owner would have a claim against Ryco

"During this voluntary warranty period, if any engine or equipment is damaged as a result of the use of a proven defective RYCO product, Ryco Group Pty Ltd will pay to restore the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to the state of the engine or equipment immediately prior to the damage. Consequential damage claims will not be covered by this voluntary warranty." https://www.rycofilters.com.au/Page/Ryco_Guarantee_au
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Ryco themselves provide a warranty so if Kawasaki can prove that engine damage was a direct result of the filter, the owner would have a claim against Ryco

"During this voluntary warranty period, if any engine or equipment is damaged as a result of the use of a proven defective RYCO product, Ryco Group Pty Ltd will pay to restore the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to the state of the engine or equipment immediately prior to the damage. Consequential damage claims will not be covered by this voluntary warranty." https://www.rycofilters.com.au/Page/Ryco_Guarantee_au
    There's a clause in there that says "has not been installed in accordance with the vehicle, engine, or equipment manufacturers recommendations"
    If Kawasaki specify that a genuine filter must be used during the warranty period then it's no claim either way.
    Its all politics.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    If ryco do not recommend a z436 for the kawasaki then there is no warranty.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    husaberg
    The warranty always states it is void unless parts used are as recommended by the manufacturer. sorry Bob never seen your post saying the same,.but some pattern parts are shit, The manufacture shouldn't pay for damage for cheap oil and filters being used or other stuff. Shit ,they shouldn't be touched by the owner as well that voids most of the warranty as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I'm not aware that they specifically did.
    Did you find info to that end?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'm not aware that they specifically did.
    Did you find info to that end?
    Its in the link that pete376403 posted. Copied and pasted below.

has not been installed in accordance with current Ryco published catalogue vehicle listings
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    husaberg
    Its in the link that pete376403 posted. Copied and pasted below.

has not been installed in accordance with current Ryco published catalogue vehicle listings
    For that ryco policy to be applicable, it has to be the filter than is the proven cause of the engine damage......... plus satisfy all the other get out of jail free fineprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Ryco oil filters

They don?t. There is a Ryco motorcycle filter catalogue and it recommends one of their motorcycle filters for the Ninja 300. They don?t have a recommendation for the 400.

Thread Information