Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moon Landing 50 Years On.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

I don't get involved (now) in "discussions" about this topic because it is very bad for my mental health.
    Agreed. Every now and then I take a peek at their discussions and it honestly hurts my head. Like actually. I was aware of the saying but I didn't realise it was literal until I encountered this lot, along with space deniers and the FE group. I'm convinced that the main proponents are (mostly) in it for the recognition, money and power. Their arguments are, well they're not arguments. And then there is their followers, who tell you you're indoctrinated, fed lies, and to do 'your own research', providing links to YouTube videos to show their 'proof'...

The facepalm is too immense.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Ok then.
    On the moon it's minus 500 degrees Celsius in the shade & plus 500 degrees in the sun.
    That's a huge temp difference for a tin foil suit to handle.
    A car, why a car? Where were they going & where was it stored & how did they unload it?
    You've got the idea lol

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    , a rabid conspiracy theorist.
    Anyone we know?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    12 have walked (or driven) on the Moon.

I don't get involved (now) in "discussions" about this topic because it is very bad for my mental health.

The only two things I would say is this:

in 1969 it was easier to go there than to fake it - and the technology did not exist to fake it convincingly; and

4% of the entire GDP of the USA when it was at its relatively most prosperous was devoted to the effort: 400,000 people and 200 companies (contractors) plus the staff of NASA, JPL and so forth. A lot of people and resources to devote to a fake. The other thing is the point already made: the Russkis really WANTED it to fail or have failed: remember they had beaten the US to every significant milestone prior to Apollo 8 (lunar orbit/circumnavigation) and landing (Apollo 11). first satellite, first man in space, first woman in space, first spacewalk. So they were devoting their not inconsiderable resources to trying to subvent it.

In my opinion, the moon landings are the pinnacle of human achievement thus far. Voyager comes pretty close. The STS programme was a very expensive sideshow (though cool as fuck).
    I seen something the other day on one of the soviet rockets blowing up basically stopped their project dead. no prizes for second place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It simply cost too much. With the US continually getting into expensive wars, continuing into space wasn't feasible. Trump's saying they'll go back up - but when push comes to shove, I'd bet they won't. Not in my lifetime anyway.
    there is an unmanned craft heading back soon cant remember whose it was Japan China india.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    The moon landings definitely happened. I saw a movie about it...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I seen something the other day on one of the soviet rockets blowing up basically stopped their project dead. no prizes for second place.
    They did build a couple of lunar rovers, which they used at Chernobyl to clean up radioactive debris.

Bike
    motocompo
    there is an unmanned craft heading back soon cant remember whose it was Japan China india.
    Un manned you say?
    You would thing they could pick up some 50 year old technology cheap that was 100 percent reliable back in the day to take some blokes back there.
    Oh, is it that pesky radiation thing?

Bike
    2006 Harley Rocker C

no need for a lunar car next time

By the time they go back to the moon they wont need to worry about taking a car, it'll be covered by bookable lunar electric scooters for them to trip over every 500m...
    Just hope they remember to give each astronaut a phone with the app installed.

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Did it really happen, or not?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Something I was told a while ago (at work, by an optics scientist): the moon landings left retroreflector corner cubes behind, those three mirrors set at right angles to form one corner of a cube, the same things used in cats-eyes. Of course they're still there and still functional today. It's possible to shoot a laser from the ground and see the return pulse.

Yes, you need a very powerful laser. You need to know where to aim. You also need pricey gear to see the return clearly since the return is attenuated by 99%, ie astronomy-grade telescopes and powered tracking, with a rack of computers and instruments separating signal from noise. 1% does come back.

It's just that all that gear screams "scientists in league with..." though, it isn't exactly something that the average pub going punter can assess at a glance... sometimes people believe what they want to believe.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    of course it happened. The time JUST before health and safety was coined to generate pencil pushing jobs and slow down man kind's evolution -- back then you could actually do things with human risk (even with their consent..) not now though

or you can watch capricorn 1 and follow that theory

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    They did build a couple of lunar rovers, which they used at Chernobyl to clean up radioactive debris.
    To TRY to clean up radioactive debris. The basically fried within minutes of being put on the roof
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    They had a lot of failures. So did the Mrkns... check out some of the youtube footage from Redstone/Saturn etc. The fantastic thing about a rocket failure is there is no "oopsie" lets just pull over here and pop the hood and check out what went wrong...... by definition almost, it either works flawlessly or there are bits of the vehicle scattered about a wide area downrange. Fun times.

You know how at present (apart from SpaceX) humanity's only heavy lift capacity to LEO is via Russia? That is what happened to those rocket motors once they got their shit working. Very reliable. (now)....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    I Ride No More
    We all have our opinions on who was there first ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vikings on the Moon.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	342504  

Thread Information