Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moon Landing 50 Years On.

Bike
    motocompo

The Moon Landing 50 Years On.

Did it really happen, or not?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    wasn't there, but I do have it on very good authority that the earth does rotate around the moon.
    me, having only ever been educated by the university of life apparently don't know

Bike
    GSXR1000
    A friend of mine doesn't trust the US government to blow it's own nose, but when the subject of the moon landings comes up he switches to 'why would they lie to us'. He's good humour (but a very good friend so I don't push him on it).

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If it was faked, an awful lot of people and governments are very good at keeping a secret.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    If it was faked, an awful lot of people and governments are very good at keeping a secret.
    If it was faked, the Russians would still be screaming about it today. Reputedly, they tracked it and watched closely.

I watched it in the Home Appliance department of the old Canterbury Farmers Co-op in Rangiora - in my lunch break.

I worked there at the time and the dept head had set up TV's to watch it. There was quite a crowd coming and going.
    No idea if it sold any TV's - but management thought it was a good idea and came out to watch themselves.

Bike
    motocompo
    Amongst other things, I'm struggling with the fact that 50 years later it hasn't caught on.
    If you look at where car travel was at fifty years after the first car, air travel fifty years after the first flight, computer technology fifty years after the first computer.
    Strikes me as odd that they packed it in after they cracked it.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Did it really happen, or not?
    I bet ya it was more real than any of the kardasians tits. Plus i bet less have planted the flag on the moon as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Series just came out.. "truth behind the moon landings" (its on your fav torrent site). Has an FBI agent, a rabid conspiracy theorist, and an astronaut. It was really interesting, lots of stuff about nazi's and the CIA... and lots and lots of science, along with interviews with people who were involved etc..

spoiler alert: yes, we did go to the moon.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If it was faked, the Russians would still be screaming about it today. Reputedly, they tracked it and watched closely.

I watched it in the Home Appliance department of the old Canterbury Farmers Co-op in Rangiora - in my lunch break.

I worked there at the time and the dept head had set up TV's to watch it. There was quite a crowd coming and going.
    No idea if it sold any TV's - but management thought it was a good idea and came out to watch themselves.
    It sold one TV - me Dad bought one and its one of my earliest childhood memories
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Amongst other things, I'm struggling with the fact that 50 years later it hasn't caught on.
    If you look at where car travel was at fifty years after the first car, air travel fifty years after the first flight, computer technology fifty years after the first computer.
    You're going to have to cast a better line than that to get 'em biting.

Bike
    Exercycle
    It simply cost too much. With the US continually getting into expensive wars, continuing into space wasn't feasible. Trump's saying they'll go back up - but when push comes to shove, I'd bet they won't. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    It sold one TV - me Dad bought one and its one of my earliest childhood memories
    jeeze, make me feel old whydontcha...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I bet ya it was more real than any of the kardasians tits. Plus i bet less have planted the flag on the moon as well
    12 have walked (or driven) on the Moon.

I don't get involved (now) in "discussions" about this topic because it is very bad for my mental health.

The only two things I would say is this:

in 1969 it was easier to go there than to fake it - and the technology did not exist to fake it convincingly; and

4% of the entire GDP of the USA when it was at its relatively most prosperous was devoted to the effort: 400,000 people and 200 companies (contractors) plus the staff of NASA, JPL and so forth. A lot of people and resources to devote to a fake. The other thing is the point already made: the Russkis really WANTED it to fail or have failed: remember they had beaten the US to every significant milestone prior to Apollo 8 (lunar orbit/circumnavigation) and landing (Apollo 11). first satellite, first man in space, first woman in space, first spacewalk. So they were devoting their not inconsiderable resources to trying to subvent it.

In my opinion, the moon landings are the pinnacle of human achievement thus far. Voyager comes pretty close. The STS programme was a very expensive sideshow (though cool as fuck).
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    You're going to have to cast a better line than that to get 'em biting.
    Ok then.
    On the moon it's minus 500 degrees Celsius in the shade & plus 500 degrees in the sun.
    That's a huge temp difference for a tin foil suit to handle.
    A car, why a car? Where were they going & where was it stored & how did they unload it?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I don't think it was a sales trip.. And very expensive. https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...nds-giant-leap

Space trips are just around the corner, we will see the development you mention within our life time, well, I expect in the next 20 years. Space technology has come a long way in 50 years, it's only now that it is becoming a viable business. NZ is even lobbing satellites up.

Pretty sure the whole point of the exercise was the US sending a "don't mess with us" message.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information