Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Brakes Locking Up

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    It isn't a VW golf for sure. But I didn't buy it so I could pretend to be fast through twisties. Twisties are hard to find nowadays on the trips I take plus there is often a trailer on the back. The truly effortless driving is why I bought it and going by the total lack of go-fast bits I expect I'm a typical owner. Lotus did use the motor albeit with a supercharger and in fact when I was looking to buy it I came across a Blade in Taupo with a supercharger. Supposedly 350hp same as the Lotus I think.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Had another one today. A complaint, I mean.

This one fell off when he had to brake because the car ahead of him braked.

It was drizzling, the road was wet, and his brakes locked up. Down he went.

The surface was flushing. Tar bleed. Its scheduled for resealing this summer. In the meantime we have put up slippery surface signage.

How about riders learn to use a 4 second following distance on wet roads, and learn not to use the front brake so heavily on slippery surfaces.

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    How about riders learn to use a 4 second following distance on wet roads, and learn not to use the front brake so heavily on slippery surfaces.
    Naa. Too difficult. There's a bunch of people who just can't understand that shit happens, that they can and do make mistakes, and that their driving/riding is actually shit.

Was overtaken by a super-pro driver / Lincoln uni student this morning. His first attempt would have sent him in to the truck turning into a driveway. He couldn't see past my small car so didn't know until he was out and partly alongside. And that was with me driving to the left just to help him see and slowly braking to give time and a hint. Not sure what more I can do to help.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxythingy View Post
    Not sure what more I can do to help.

I work in road safety. Most days I feel like I'm pissing into the wind.

There are some basic, easy free things people could do to improve their safety. But most just dont get it.

And because they haven't binned yet, they dont see the need to change. Until it's too late.

Then they blame someone or something else, when its they who could have avoided the bin for free.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    This one fell off when he had to brake because the car ahead of him braked.

It was drizzling, the road was wet, and his brakes locked up. Down he went.

The surface was flushing. Tar bleed. Its scheduled for resealing this summer. In the meantime we have put up slippery surface signage.

Did the "I wasn't Speeding" statement be heard ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good

Is that what you told him or did you save it for KB?

Slippery when wet signs are a cheap arse covering exercise. Of course it fucking is. Next they will be putting signs up that say dark at night. Most of the driving population don't associate those signs with SCRIM deficiencies. You'd be better off having a go at NZTA and the council for having roads that are, frankly, not fit for purpose. Waiting until the surface is flushed is not really the safe system approach is it?

I work in road safety. Most days I feel like I'm pissing into the wind
    You'll get over it, once you realise it is inevitable that some people are fuckwits and even those that aren't can make mistakes. Do that at anything above walking pace and you are going to get messed up.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Is that what you told him or did you save it for KB?

Slippery when wet signs are a cheap arse covering exercise. Of course it fucking is. Next they will be putting signs up that say dark at night. Most of the driving population don't associate those signs with SCRIM deficiencies. You'd be better off having a go at NZTA and the council for having roads that are, frankly, not fit for purpose. Waiting until the surface is flushed is not really the safe system approach
    It's not possible, with the current funding model, to keep all roads at a coefficient of friction at 0.7 or greater all the time.

Road resurfacing is scheduled months if not years ahead. For every one that's done, theres a dozen more that could do with it.

No, I didn't tell him that. In today's "the customer is always right" world, honestly is not encouraged.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Worse than the slippery when wet signs are the "temporary" speed limits while they wait for the road to be resurfaced. The locals ignore the signs when it's dry, but the tourists don't know and slow down.

And of course the police could turn up one day for some revenue gathering...

Bike
    It was on the good
    It's not possible, with the current funding model, to keep all roads at a coefficient of friction at 0.7 or greater all the time.

Road resurfacing is scheduled months if not years ahead. For every one that's done, theres a dozen more that could do with it.
    Yeah, I deal with this every day in my job and the crashes that sometimes result so I get all that. I just don't think it acceptable to put signs up to warn people about deficient road surfaces unless they actually tell you the surface is deficient. We finally got a change so the signs say SLOW WHEN WET rather than just WHEN WET which is subtle but at least tells you to slow down in the wet. Still does not tell you the road is fucked though and that bikes especially need to be careful.

I understand the funding constraints. They will have to change if TPTB want to pay more than lip service to the vision zero approach that we are moving to.

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Worse than the slippery when wet signs are the "temporary" speed limits while they wait for the road to be resurfaced. The locals ignore the signs when it's dry, but the tourists don't know and slow down
    Yes, I foresee a return to Limited Speed Zones to cover this. The signs should be a combo of temp speed limit and road surface but NZTA won't have a bar of it. Don't blame the tourists here for doing what the sign says.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I would love to know if the money we are putting in to our roads is being spent efficiently and the people putting it down are actually skilled enough to do so. Far too many roads end up worse off after a crew has been through "fixing" it.
    Be interesting to see what a German engineer would make of our efforts

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

I work in road safety. Most days I feel like I'm pissing into the wind.

There are some basic, easy free things people could do to improve their safety. But most just dont get it.

And because they haven't binned yet, they dont see the need to change. Until it's too late.

Then they blame someone or something else, when its they who could have avoided the bin for free.
    I've mentioned this before but it fits here. As you observe, people don't get it - and they won't. Nothing in the evolution of human beings has prepared us for motorised transport.

Couple that with the undeveloped cerebral cortex of people under 25 and you have two reasons why people are unable to link actions with consequences.

"The Upper Half Of The Motorcycle" by Berndt Spiegel discusses such things in detail, and a whole lot more. Currently available from The Book Depository NZ$57.83 freight free. The author, formerly a psychology lecturer, later a motor industry research scientist, is an experienced recreational motorcyclist and former racer. Of the forty odd motorcycling books I have here I'd rate this the most serious, certainly the most scholarly.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

"The Upper Half Of The Motorcycle" by Berndt Spiegel discusses such things in detail, and a whole lot more. Currently available from The Book Depository NZ$57.83 freight free. The author, formerly a psychology lecturer, later a motor industry research scientist, is an experienced recreational motorcyclist and former racer. Of the forty odd motorcycling books I have here I'd rate this the most serious, certainly the most scholarly.
    +1! You have to read it several times in places to get what he's driving at but it is indeed an excellent book. Fits in well with the Police Motorcycle Roadcraft manual 😁

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    A known bit of unswept Tarmac & fourteen bikes go down in the same place while arriving or leaving?
    That's priceless.
    It's always someone else's fault when a Harley hits the deck.
    Oh the bikes didn't go down, the stones flew up and chipped the paintwork. Loose gravel on the road is not something that will stay put on the road, it likes to fly from tyres into the air, Have you never lost a windscreen or had a stone flung up at you when following a car? It so happened that this section of unswept road was outside a club rooms. Stone chips are not nice, especially when because, somebody did not get the Massy Ferguson with a mechanical broom off the work truck and do their contracted job.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I've mentioned this before but it fits here. As you observe, people don't get it - and they won't. Nothing in the evolution of human beings has prepared us for motorised transport.

Couple that with the undeveloped cerebral cortex of people under 25 and you have two reasons why people are unable to link actions with consequences.

. . .
    There you go with your evolution theory again. Its only a theory. I believe we were created.

To ride 2 strokes

Thank the good lord below.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    YYes, I foresee a return to Limited Speed Zones to cover this. The signs should be a combo of temp speed limit and road surface but NZTA won't have a bar of it. Don't blame the tourists here for doing what the sign says.
    Put Temporary speed limit signs in a (normally) 100 km/hr zone that has no obvious sign of roadworks or damage to the road surface ... and what speed will they (or ANYBODY) will travel on it .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information