Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Brakes Locking Up

  1. #16
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 12:32
    Bike
    A red one
    Location
    Te Mosgiel
    Posts
    2,700
    Well firstly he raised it with the council. He should be commended for that given most will do nothing and others will come on to KB and whinge and moan about them instead. If there actually is "a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road" then the council should heed the complaint, go and check it out and get it swept before someone else hits it, falls off and ends up in a wheelchair. I am assuming this has already been done, so how bad was it?

    Am I wrong to think that the rider could do something to reduce the risk, by not braking hard at high speed, and learning to read the road surface better?
    Clearly the rider should change his behaviour, and perhaps he has although his excuses do make him sound inexperienced. The only thing for certain is that this publicly minded rider is unlikely to go to the trouble of reporting something similar in the future if he stumbles on this thread so in the end we all lose out.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    26th January 2010 - 19:14
    Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland
    Posts
    976
    I once struck something similar in Tauranga, on a street which came down on to the Strand with a Give Way. Contractors had just painted the Give Way line across the lane and were using white paint with small reflective pellets sprinkled on top of it. Trouble was you couldn't really see the extra pellets which weren't stuck to the top of the paint and these were like a layer of marbles, it just looked like a bit of spray drift outside the line but this was loose particles. Luckily I was slowing to get a good look for oncoming traffic, but the bike did a little wiggle as she came to a stop across the newly painted line.

    I phoned the council and reported the problem and told them that now they had been advised of the problem they would be liable for any motorbike accident on the site and that this liability would extend to them not requiring their contactors to clean up excess particles after painting lines on the road.

    I came back through that intersection about an hour later and the excess particles had been swept away and I never saw excess particles on road painting after that.

    I've found that the word 'liability'carries great weight in the business world.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

  3. #18
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I once struck something similar in Tauranga, on a street which came down on to the Strand with a Give Way. Contractors had just painted the Give Way line across the lane and were using white paint with small reflective pellets sprinkled on top of it. Trouble was you couldn't really see the extra pellets which weren't stuck to the top of the paint and these were like a layer of marbles, it just looked like a bit of spray drift outside the line but this was loose particles. Luckily I was slowing to get a good look for oncoming traffic, but the bike did a little wiggle as she came to a stop across the newly painted line.

    I phoned the council and reported the problem and told them that now they had been advised of the problem they would be liable for any motorbike accident on the site and that this liability would extend to them not requiring their contactors to clean up excess particles after painting lines on the road.

    I came back through that intersection about an hour later and the excess particles had been swept away and I never saw excess particles on road painting after that.

    I've found that the word 'liability'carries great weight in the business world.
    they are bead blasting beads, and are as dangerous as ice simply in a decent quantity as they are literally glass marbles they are supposed to be applied with the paint at a metered rate, occasionally they don't. I had a big transit long wheel base van that skidded in these. Report any incidents very loudly to the police and insist they get there right then as in reality it doesn't look like anything hazardous but is.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    they are bead blasting beads, and are as dangerous as ice simply in a decent quantity as they are literally glass marbles they are supposed to be applied with the paint at a metered rate, occasionally they don't. I had a big transit long wheel base van that skidded in these. Report any incidents very loudly to the police and insist they get there right then as in reality it doesn't look like anything hazardous but is.
    The duty for police to ameliorate hazards is even enshrined in law.

    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...25_se&p=1&sr=1

  5. #20
    Join Date
    22nd March 2007 - 10:20
    Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    2,177
    Back in the mid 1980"s the council resurfaced a road outside a club rooms, it was not swept for three weeks, they were not happy with the painting and recrome bill that came from a lawyer for 14 bikes having to be refurbished because of their laziness, . The council had been asked several times to sweep that road, the memo must have got lost. My bike looked better than when I bought it, ……some you win some you loose.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    9th April 2015 - 16:03
    Bike
    Bandit 1200s, gsx600f
    Location
    Woodville
    Posts
    113
    I have a vague memory of something legal-like being done because of loose gravel and lack of signage, way way back in the late eighties or early nineties.

    I think (but am not sure) that a group of riders took legal action against the national roading authority of the time regarding the application of pea gravel on bends and road surfaces in general such as at intersections and areas requiring braking etc.

    If I recall correctly a court case ensued after an injury accident occurred, however due to ACC laws the case was taken over damage to the motorcycles instead. Said court found in favour of the plaintiff, and occasioned a watershed change in the policies of the roading authority and their workers/contractors nationally. Traffic management/signage/road sweeping after application of gravel were the policies bolstered as a direct result of the court case.....(if I recall correctly. please correct me if I am incorrect)

    Is it not time to start doing this again? I know new sealing in my area is routinely left to "self sweep" by traffic volume alone. I also think one of the group involved was actually a lawyer too so may be the reason it was instigated. In the end it had at the time far reaching positive effects on the quality of work by coal-face crews on roading projects nationally.

    Does anyone else recall this???

  7. #22
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,016
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    Does anyone else recall this???
    If so ... explain grit left on roads in frost prone areas after the frost has gone ... ???

    I have heard of a punter who had taken the local council to court for damage to his vehicle after a loose gravel incident ... in a road works site. In court he admitted there WAS a temporary speed restriction there at the time ... but he "might" have been going a "bit" faster than the signs indicated he should be traveling at.

    He lost the case.

    Those that continue to ignore those temporary speed zone signs ... beware. Some can bite you quite hard ...
    Sweat wipes off. Road-rash doesn't.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    3,957

    Intentional thread dredge

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Following distances are too close as well. I'd point out here that if you allow more distance, you get passed...
    A bit of a thread dredge here, but I just kept thinking about this, and can't help myself.

    The most widely used excuse for following too close is that if you leave a decent following distance e.g. 2 seconds, some numpty will pass you and take that space.

    Now, on every Ride Forever course I take, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Urban Commuter, Scooter Survival, I run out a 20 metre tape measure. Just to show people what the legally required distance at 50 kmh should be. Without exception, people tell me that if they leave that space, someone will overtake them. This happens so often I should make a video about it.

    I then challenge them all to maintain a 2 second distance all day during the ride, and count the number of people who take their space. I ask them to count, and add up at the end of the day.

    Again, without exception, people find that it is nowhere near as bad as they suggest it is.

    Firstly, it only tends to happen on multi lane roads. Someone in the adjacent lane takes the space ahead of you. Someone you'll never meet, driving a car that you'll never see again. SO WHAT. Let them have the space, let them drift out, claim back the space. It's not a competition.

    I have very, very rarely had anyone, on a single lane road, overtake me in order to take my space. I leave a 2 second distance, expect when I'm further back. And people don't overtake me. I own my lane, I do the speed limit, and if they want to go faster to overtake, all good.

    In the event that some plonker follows right up my butt, I let them get past too. I don't care if they get past, I'd rather they did. I have more control when they are ahead of me, not behind.

    A decent following distance just gives in some many ways
    1. It allows us to do a decent surface appraisal. We can see dodgy road surfaces, when we still have time to do something about it.
    2. We are far more visible when we are not tucked up the butt of the vehicle ahead.
    3. We have far better view to the front and sides when we don't tuck ourselves into the blind spots behind a vehicle.


    There's just so much value in maintaining a good following distance. And so few justifications for not doing it.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,108
    Got to agree with you Pete and let's add something to the point you're making. You rightly say SO WHAT to being overtaken. In most cases, what's the impact of that in terms of affecting the time taken to get wherever you're going? To use a technical term - eff all! You're still going at much the same speed as you were before. It was driven home to me a few years ago before we permanently moved to our current location. It was approximately 200 km from home in Tokoroa to our place in Coromandel. Quite often, my wife would travel in the car and I'd ride the Blackbird. The most I could ever put on her was 15 minutes with her being legal and me "making progress" on a few of the Waikato back roads. Sort of brings the impatience factor into perspective.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    549
    I do tend to be a bit more chilled driving these days; maybe it's my age or perhaps I've just decided that survival is more important than getting through traffic quickly. But one thing that does scare me sometimes is driving back into Auckland along the southern motorway in the early evening. There never seem to be any cops patrolling from say Mercer north at that time (shift change?), and it's not unusual to find yourself coming down the Bombay Hills in a line of cars doing about 120 with the front few vehicles, usually including a couple of utes, separated by about 2 car lengths.

    I slow down, pull over to the left lane, and leave them to it. If something went wrong, it would be spectacular.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I slow down, pull over to the left lane, and leave them to it. If something went wrong, it would be spectacular.
    That's one of the best things about growing up. Being able to sit back and enjoy the ride.

    I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from hogging the left lane these days, sitting on the cruise control at or about the speed limit. If I come across someone going slower, I change lanes, get past, then change back to the left lane.

    I started a thread a few years back on here about the left lane being the new fast lane. There are so many people who don't know how to use lanes properly, who just sit out in the right lane for no reason at all. I often find I can make better progress in the left lane.

    Part of growing up, I guess.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Back in the mid 1980"s the council resurfaced a road outside a club rooms, it was not swept for three weeks, they were not happy with the painting and recrome bill that came from a lawyer for 14 bikes having to be refurbished because of their laziness, . The council had been asked several times to sweep that road, the memo must have got lost. My bike looked better than when I bought it, ……some you win some you loose.
    A known bit of unswept Tarmac & fourteen bikes go down in the same place while arriving or leaving?
    That's priceless.
    It's always someone else's fault when a Harley hits the deck.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    5th March 2006 - 09:01
    Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Apparently brakes lock up on their own. Or at least according to the person who wrote this complaint to the local council.

    "There is a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road, I've nearly come off my motorcycle due to the brakes locking up on it. It's hard to see early in the morning and traffic is going quick, so you're braking quite hard from a high speed."

    Am I wrong to think that the rider could do something to reduce the risk, by not braking hard at high speed, and learning to read the road surface better?
    Surly if he / she is aware of the hazard they should ride accordly often at this time of year gravel is put on roads for another reason Ice especially in shaded areas example Waimak gorge. My recommendation a Ride Safe Course may help.


  14. #29
    Join Date
    5th March 2006 - 09:01
    Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    Send the rider a thank you note with a ride for ever voucher, bronze of course .
    And send the sweeper out , noticed the gravel around the corner from home it’s getting worse after being resealed about 3 months ago these roading contractors are not getting any better these days.
    I was told by a road contracting company by contract terms they have 24 hrs to sweep a resealed road before before they are in breech. I tried to get payment for a a belt which picked up a stone from a unsweept road repair.


  15. #30
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I was told by a road contracting company by contract terms they have 24 hrs to sweep a resealed road before before they are in breech. I tried to get payment for a a belt which picked up a stone from a unsweept road repair.
    how did you get on sueing harley for not having a suitable guard that a stone could get in there?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •