Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes Locking Up

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Brakes Locking Up

Apparently brakes lock up on their own. Or at least according to the person who wrote this complaint to the local council.

"There is a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road, I've nearly come off my motorcycle due to the brakes locking up on it. It's hard to see early in the morning and traffic is going quick, so you're braking quite hard from a high speed."

Am I wrong to think that the rider could do something to reduce the risk, by not braking hard at high speed, and learning to read the road surface better?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    this is why everyone should learn to ride with dirt bikes on dirt and gravel and sand before going on the road and that chap needs to get himself into a car asap and save us all some ACC $$

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I'm with you on this Rastus. Yes roads should be in an acceptable state but responsibility for one's actions and all that too. Is this an example of the modern culture of 'Everything must be someone's fault' so prevalent in other countries (I'm thinking the UK especially...)?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Is it a gravel road, like?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Apparently brakes lock up on their own. Or at least according to the person who wrote this complaint to the local council.

"There is a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road, I've nearly come off my motorcycle due to the brakes locking up on it. It's hard to see early in the morning and traffic is going quick, so you're braking quite hard from a high speed."

Am I wrong to think that the rider could do something to reduce the risk, by not braking hard at high speed, and learning to read the road surface better?
    One would hope. One would also hope that the council maintained their roads in safe condition. He mentions traffic so it's possible he doesn't get a lot of warning. If his letter prompts some action by the council that's not a bad thing.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Is it a gravel road, like?
    No, a sealed road with a build up of gravel at an intersection.

No doubt the gravel should be tidied up, or removed. No doubt at all.

But when a rider says "I've nearly come off due to my brakes locking up" I always cringe. Brakes don't lock up without being poorly applied.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    its just one of those luck things I guess,
    when ya gotta slow quickly at an intersection its just unlucky if there is gravel build up, im guessing the intersections this person is talking about are poorly marked with all the traffic around etc.
    now where is that sarcasm button

Bike
    Exercycle
    No, a sealed road with a build up of gravel at an intersection.

No doubt the gravel should be tidied up, or removed. No doubt at all.

But when a rider says "I've nearly come off due to my brakes locking up" I always cringe. Brakes don't lock up without being poorly applied.
    True only up to a point. If the rider in question is travelling on main roads in say, Selwyn, (for the sake of argument) the traffic streams are usually close to or above the speed limit in the commute times. Following distances are too close as well. I'd point out here that if you allow more distance, you get passed...
    Now given the amount of road works required on these roads - and the absolute piss poor maintenance of them - I'm not surprised at the complaint of having to use heavy braking on poor surfaces.
    I am however surprised at it's having made it's way down the chain to you. Normal practise appears to be to shelve any complaints except those from influential farmers or the family of councillors.
    Perhaps it's the fact of it having been a motorcyclist - and you're the resident expert...

Sadly the answer has already been posted - change to a car. the infrastructure is designed around them, not bikes.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Even riding (or driving!) reasonably sensibly, I've been caught out by gravel marbles collecting in deadspots from time to time. Also diesel, puddles or ice. It happens. Bit of a wake-up call though.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

Fool me once fool me twice

I read that this rider has experienced this several times on the same road, would not once be enough to remember the location and be prepared? Or is the "speed" he is talking about on the higher end of the scale. I am sure that when I find a place on my regular commute to work that had gravel like explained, I would remember where and be prepared. Or would he prefer the Ice on the road where this gravel may have been placed to prevent skids , At this time of the year, there is always gravel to be aware of, rather that than ice, especially before sunrise,
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Send the rider a thank you note with a ride for ever voucher, bronze of course .
    And send the sweeper out , noticed the gravel around the corner from home it’s getting worse after being resealed about 3 months ago these roading contractors are not getting any better these days.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    Send the rider a thank you note with a ride for ever voucher, bronze of course .
    And send the sweeper out , noticed the gravel around the corner from home it’s getting worse after being resealed about 3 months ago these roading contractors are not getting any better these days.
    Goly raytus.

You sound a bit holly than thou

ITS EASY TO BE CAUGHT OUT BY GRAVEL. HATE THE STUFF ops sorry for the Caps.

So as a dirt rider and fuck it best you bring your game up. I still find gravel where I don't expect it a real challenge..

So tell me in your holy presence that you ate better than me so therefore Imunume from danger.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to see early in the morning
    I think I see the problem. Relax, sleep in a bit more, have a proper coffee, talk to your kids. Don't rush off like a mad cunt.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    XR650R
    I think he's talking about that ultra small lead shot sized gravel- near impossible to spot at any speed other than walking pace, plus the road sweepers often dont remove it, it can be easy to lock up yur brakes on for sure, but it can be overcome by using rear and fr brakes, when fronts lock, slight modulating lever pressure will regain grip without greatly reducing braking, unless your really nailing your fr brakes, lane position is also helpful as the wheel track positions usually give more consistent grip

Bike
    Exercycle
    The problem is possibly exacerbated by a local phenomenon. In times of heavy frosts here, council contractors are supposed to grit the main roads.
    It's a reactive process - they'll do it after there's been a frost, not before. No signage usually. Random application too. You might get frosts for two or three days with ice visible and no sign of grit trucks - then after a day without frost, suddenly there's grit down.

I wouldn't care to commute on a bike here. I suspect I'm in the same area as the original complainer. Would Rastuscat care to confirm the council involved ?

Thread Information