Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brakes Locking Up

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT! The mere thought of that biatch being anywhere alive is enough to make me sick!
    Dont feel that you need to tone down your response, give it to us straight.
    From memory someone thought they found the troll previously known as C!*^% active on trademe message boards or something.
    If you were still a mod i would ask you to look through my PM's to see who it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Dont feel that you need to tone down your response, give it to us straight.
    From memory someone thought they found the troll previously known as C!*^% active on trademe message boards or something.
    If you were still a mod i would ask you to look through my PM's to see who it was.
    Oh, you mean Peter from Christchurch?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Oh, you mean Peter from Christchurch?
    Twas you, i was looking under pm's from Grumph
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    No doubt under pressure to keep up with the other cars going through the road works
    Under pressure to keep up with the cars going in the opposite direction.

On reflection ... probably WAS Cassina.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Chortle. You do see that all the time though, the idea that if their side of the road is blocked they stop until the way is clear just doesn't occur to them. If their lane is blocked they use yours.
    Too true. See it everyday.
    Every one out for themselves.
    I seem to be one of the few who can usually wait.
    I also give way to vehicles which are bigger than me.

Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT! The mere thought of that biatch being anywhere alive is enough to make me sick!
    got it.

To OP, yes excess gravel is a problem in some places.
    Some are obvious, some are sign posted, some are not.

Yes we are all heroes and bulletproof at times.
    But we should be aware of what might be and be able to effect changes to how we ride depending on what we encounter. We should be intelligent enough to realise what the situation is/could be and alter our riding to suit. If we are unable to cope we should get help/tuition or practice as in this case being able to slow/stop/steer our steed in this situation.

The street that i live in was recently laid with bitumen/chip. Excess was laid on as is usual to allow vehicles to compact any loose chip into the bitumen. However there was no coming back and removing the remainder excess after a few days. There were long narrow strips of chip on the road which you couldn't see. One late night after a ride, I had forgotten about these as I usually use the car, but found the whole bike sliding under slight braking. I realised that releasing the brake slightly was the correct thing to do while keeping the throttle slowly decreasing.

The point is I was aware of the possibility of sliding and or locking up the brakes and took proper countermeasures myself to minimize the drama.

There are some situations were the public needs to contact the people involved to get it rectified.
    They should also practise encountering such hazards.

Question:
    Are you better than your motorcycle?
    Are you able to use all of your skills?
    How can you become a better rider?

Ok I took the thread off the OP original purpose.
    Wasn't intended. But it did highlight for me not to become complacent when riding, all the time, everywhere.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Apparently brakes lock up on their own. Or at least according to the person who wrote this complaint to the local council.

"There is a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road, I've nearly come off my motorcycle due to the brakes locking up on it. It's hard to see early in the morning and traffic is going quick, so you're braking quite hard from a high speed."

Am I wrong to think that the rider could do something to reduce the risk, by not braking hard at high speed, and learning to read the road surface better?

So he knows these intersections have this hazard from past experience - but doesn't ride accordingly?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    So he knows these intersections have this hazard from past experience - but doesn't ride accordingly?
    We got another one like that last week. Local bloke complaining about a road he travels on every day causing his brakes to lock up.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    We got another one like that last week. Local bloke complaining about a road he travels on every day causing his brakes to lock up.
    Hmm, I am starting to see a pattern here. I am just not sure whether it is poor maintenance in your area or you feeling the need to post about anyone who goes to the trouble of complaining about it.

I'm assuming you made some calls and got the gravel cleaned up at the intersection in the OP.

Thread Information