Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TT2000 Twenty Twenty

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Are you sure you have a map installed on Mapsource? It should definitely be able to plot a route between two checkpoints. You may need to add extra way points to get it to follow a particular set of roads if you don't like what it initially suggests.

Google Maps will do it although it takes some work (as does Mapsource) but if you're planning on running it on a Garmin GPS then you'll need to use Mapsource or Basecamp.

I've got no idea how to run Google Maps on a phone as I use a GPS.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Fees paid and the alpha version of the route planned. It'll be a long six month wait - I'm very excited for this event after having to miss out last time.

At least I've got a good excuse to go for some long rides again now. It's been hard to find the time of late due to full time work and part time study.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Hey everybody, Im considering doing the TT2000 next year and looking at the best way to do route planning.

Is there a quick and dirty way to learn the best tool for this? I see that the tt2000 web page has files for google maps and garmin gps with basecamp or map source.

Im buggered if I can figure out how to create a route from the google maps file, it only lets me see the locations.
    Alternatively with basecamp/mapsource (looking at mapsource becuase I can use nzopen gps maps for free), it looks like map source doesnt follow roads when you create a route. is there a way to get this to happen? selecting points for every turn or junction in roads would take forever!

Cheers for your help
    Both mapsource and basecamp should route just fine using the NZOpen maps. There is a bug in at least Basecamp that if you have set for North Up (think that is the one) then the route won't display on the map properly. It will be off every so slightly. I use Basecamp and NZOpen maps. There is sometimes a few issues routing things automatically due to something not quite right in the maps but it is obvious when it does and you can manually set a few via points.

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Are you sure you have a map installed on Mapsource? It should definitely be able to plot a route between two checkpoints. You may need to add extra way points to get it to follow a particular set of roads if you don't like what it initially suggests.

Google Maps will do it although it takes some work (as does Mapsource) but if you're planning on running it on a Garmin GPS then you'll need to use Mapsource or Basecamp.

I've got no idea how to run Google Maps on a phone as I use a GPS.

Yep, that was it, thanks. Only had the default one.

Cheers!

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Both mapsource and basecamp should route just fine using the NZOpen maps. There is a bug in at least Basecamp that if you have set for North Up (think that is the one) then the route won't display on the map properly. It will be off every so slightly. I use Basecamp and NZOpen maps. There is sometimes a few issues routing things automatically due to something not quite right in the maps but it is obvious when it does and you can manually set a few via points.
    Thanks for that,
    Ill give it a go. My GPS currently has MapToaster as the loaded map, so ive got another SD card, to throw on NZOpen maps if it has a problem with it.

Finally got google maps sorted with route planning as well. Didn't realise I had to save the map from the tt2000 site before I could modify it *facepalm.

This will be the longest ride ive done, any advice or expectations?
    How long do you ride each day?
    I read somewhere that clutchless shifting is a good idea to save your left hand. Hotel overnight, or camp it?

Ive got the list of 24 hour fuel stations. May get some more padding for my seat.
    Appreciate any advice.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Wrote this some time ago: http://banditrider.weebly.com/route-planning.html

Ride is doable with very minimal riding at night/in the dark. Make all stops quick ones. Plan, plan, plan...

Definitely one of my favourite rides of the year.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    the trouble with camping is it takes a long time to set up and make camp /Motor camp with cabins would be an economical option.If you are going to do basecamp and nz open maps DO NOT USE the latest version of basecamp as it wont load the full nz open map(I have 4.6.2) you can dowload the waypoint s into basecamp/mapsource and then plan your route using them.Its a bit of a learning curve!

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the trouble with camping is it takes a long time to set up and make camp /Motor camp with cabins would be an economical option. ...
    True, but I have camped on four TT rides and it works if you have a system... Ride until 10pm, an hour to set up camp, eat etc. then 6 hours sleep. Another hour to eat and pack up and you're on the road again by 6am.

I slept under the main bridge at Rakaia three nights in a row for one TT...!

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    True, but I have camped on four TT rides and it works if you have a system... Ride until 10pm, an hour to set up camp, eat etc. then 6 hours sleep. Another hour to eat and pack up and you're on the road again by 6am.

I slept under the main bridge at Rakaia three nights in a row for one TT...!
    Do you do any practice runs so that you get your sequence completely sorted?

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Some riders do a few "practice trips" but most rely on careful planning. And while some riders plan their ride down to the minute, that is cerainly not required - many riders have successfully completed the TT2000 challenge with little or no planning (other than turning up!).

It's a good idea to have a considered plan though, so you can gauge your progress, find fuel, get some sleep etc.

I have also been known to tell riders, plan your ride and ride your plan.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Some riders do a few "practice trips" but most rely on careful planning. And swhile some riders plan their ride down to the minute, that is cerainly not required - many riders have successfully completed the TT2000 challenge with little or no planning (other than turning up!).

It's a good idea to have a considered plan though, so you can gauge your progress, find fuel, get some sleep etc.

I have also been known to tell riders, plan your ride and ride your plan.
    I plan mine and what stops I need to make and when to pick up fuel. However one year I remember going over the Takaka hill, collecting all the photos I needed and stopped at Motueka for he night. Going through what I should have done found I had missed the big number stop and had to make a second trip over the hill just to get it. Happened because I got my pages out of order in my planning. I always quadruple check now. I usually have extra points in my plan so I can miss a couple of stops if I am running behind (or the weather is bad like last February). My GPS tell me where to go (usually okay but sometimes leads me down gravel roads that I don't like)

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    I have ridden 11 TT2000s and although I have only had practice runs on a few of them, what I always do have for each is a definite plan. Winging it doesn't work for me. One advantage of practicing is that it allows you to be certain of what is at each checkpoint's venue and this is particularly helpful on ones found on gravel roads, where there is no Google Street View to show what's around. A perfect example of this was on this year's Ashburton Adventure Flyer, found a km down a rutted sandy track on Rakaia Island. I went there twice in advance of the TT and note that in other's post-ride reports that a lot of time was wasted here, with uncertain navigation. Time spent in the pits is average speed diminished!

And speaking of average speed, there can be a big variation between what you think you might achieve and what you can achieve. Practice removes this doubt. It also allows me to be certain that Wayne hasn't made any inadvertent mistakes, although these are very rare indeed - well done Wayne!

For this year's TT I pre-rode the entire course over two separate days. This gave me the confidence to have a crack at getting all the checkpoints and, at the risk of blowing my own trumpet I was the only rider to do so under the 48-hour limit.

I navigate using a rolling route-sheet in a Clik-Clak lunchbox, the same as used on self-navigated adventure rides, and a GPS. This allows me to make notes to remind me of (for eggs sample) exact photo requirements and also means that by constantly comparing the two, I can be certain that I haven't made any errors. It can happen!

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Hey everybody, Im considering doing the TT2000 next year and looking at the best way to do route planning.

Is there a quick and dirty way to learn the best tool for this? I see that the tt2000 web page has files for google maps and garmin gps with basecamp or map source.

Im buggered if I can figure out how to create a route from the google maps file, it only lets me see the locations.
    Alternatively with basecamp/mapsource (looking at mapsource becuase I can use nzopen gps maps for free), it looks like map source doesnt follow roads when you create a route. is there a way to get this to happen? selecting points for every turn or junction in roads would take forever!

Cheers for your help
    Late answering this but....

To use the TT2000 Google Map, save a copy to to your own Google account - you cannot modify the map on my account!

Re. routing on Garmin software with NZOpenGPS maps, as long as the maps are installed corretly, and you've turned off any other map sets, the NZOpenGPS maps should auto-route.

I install the NZOpenGPS maps into Basecamp using Garmin Map Manager (on MacOS). Maps are here: -

http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Mac/

I'm currently using the 23/09/18 versions - later versions have some updates that don't work weil with Basecamp on my Mac or my GPS (Garmin 60CSx).

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    Planning tools ?
    I printed the checkpoints map, roughly decided a route (north via Taranaki, then east then south to Ashhurst), then opened a blank spreadsheet and started typing stuff in.
    The spreadsheet adds up time, points and distance to ensure I’m on track.
    Then calculate average speed for each day.
    I know from my recent 1KC trip I can achieve 75 kmh average (incl checkpoints & fuel stops).

Then I’ll work out exact addresses and probably plug them into Waze for navigation

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the trouble with camping is it takes a long time to set up and make camp /Motor camp with cabins would be an economical option.If you are going to do basecamp and nz open maps DO NOT USE the latest version of basecamp as it wont load the full nz open map(I have 4.6.2) you can dowload the waypoint s into basecamp/mapsource and then plan your route using them.Its a bit of a learning curve!
    There is a new version out now. 4.7.1. Anyone want to see if the bug is fixed?

Thread Information