Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TT2000 Twenty Twenty

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    There is a new version out now. 4.7.1. Anyone want to see if the bug is fixed?
    The Mac version is only up to v4.7.0 and it runs NZOpenGPS maps fine. Can't say the same for my Garmin 60CSx - latest NZOpenGPS maps that will run on that (without a lock-up) is July. 2017 - which unfortunately won't route via Kaikoura (the Kaikoura SH1 road was closed back then!).

Given the the NZOpenGPS prjects appears to have abandoned Mac support, I might switch my Basecamp to Windows and test....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Appreciate any advice.
    Planning is key to me, and knowing your gear, your process.

When doing the big distances, the names of the checkpoints (number and descriptive, while limiting characters) reduces thinking. Prep putting the waypoint exactly where it needs to be, eliminates time locating. All the TTs I did were South Island, I live in Auckland, so no rides to practise or check waypoints etc, just time in front of PC.

Knowing your equipment. How much gas will you get, at distance pace. Not what you get when cruising with mates for an hour, but doing 90kph avg to crunch the distance. Where are you stopping for gas, what time, will they be open or closed. If closed, checking days before that the card system is operating (no-one is around at 2am) and they have stock of the fuel you need. How much will you slow when you hit gravel or a technical road.

Some TTs had a lot of pictures (like 70+). If you can get your stop down to 1min (inc slowing down, stopping, taking pic, getting back up to speed) you're doing extremely well. Thats more than an hour of lost time you can't avoid. If you can do 2min... now it's more than 2 hours of lost time. Many times no-one moved in the time I saw the stop, took the pic and left. I always took a few minutes right at the start to tape the shirt (in bag) to the tank. One less thing to deal with when stopping.

If you need fuel every 2 hours, then how long will your stop be for fuel, food, drink, toilet. You want to combine and minimise stops, as it's not easy getting the time back. Don't block the pump more than necessary, move off after fueling so others can get in (depends on the route, timing). I was doing 500km in 5.5 hours with 0.5 hour stop, so 500km in 6 hours, which gave me 2000km in 24 hours. In contrast, I did 1850km in 25.5 hours when throwing in multiple stretches of gravel, high country passes in the middle of the night etc. You don't have to do the extreme stuff of course.

Gear is very important, along with nutrition. You can do a 2-3 hour ride getting cold. On a long ride, the body burns energy trying to stay warm, quickly making you tired, so you want to stay warm, with good effective layers. Avoid stuff like coffee and energy drinks, look for slow release stuff like nuts, nut bars etc. Hydrabak is useful for grabbing a drink while going through towns, especially with a flip helmet as it means no stopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Better register soon...!

Only 10 days left to register, folks. Time to get off the fence and into the riders list!

https://www.tt2000.org

*edit* As of 1st Feb. 2020 registrations for the 2020 event are closed...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure

Just a thought...

Anyone arranged for a boat to get between the Whatawhata Flyer and the Whatawhata ADV Flyer? Looks the quickest way to get those 'easy' points.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Linking to 2021 TT2000 thread....

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...TT2000-is-on!!

Thread Information