Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Suzuki T500 Frame

Bike
    2008 Bandit 1250; 2017 Husqvarna 701

Wanted: Suzuki T500 Frame

I have a Suzuki T500 Engine and a after a frame. I am in Christchurch. Any help finding a frame would be much appreciated.

Bike
    Exercycle
    What's the proposed end use ? Road restoration, custom, pre 72 race ?

If it's not a restoration you have alternatives.

Bike
    My father did a full restoration about a decade ago and had a complete spare engine he gave me recently.
    I'm looking to build a custom bike with whatever I can. I have no issues with doing modifications but ideally something the engine will bolt strait into.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Your biggest problem will be the pipes. Building custom ones is time consuming and not cheap to pay someone. Std pipes will be wrecked or v.expensive. all the parts will be expensive bought piecemeal. Trawl ebay will a spreadsheet and make a list.

I'd consider your next moves carefully to whether to continue.

I'd also try find a completeish rolling chassis from something as this will be cheaper but you are into engineering, and pipes again. 90s 250 something. Could be cool but. . .

I have a mate putting a 380 Triple in 250 Kat. Neat, but I give him about 8% chance of getting it to convincing mock up.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Dave's covered it quite well. Basically you've got the wrong engine for an easy custom build.

It would in fact be easier to build a race bike round it.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    And to be fair, my own 500cc 2 stroke twin into a 250 chassis with a fairly generous budget is stretching to silly timeframe. Sigh, . . . should get down into the garage to see if latest fix fits with the other components fitted.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    what these fellas say is true.. find a completeish bike that needs an engine OR buy something similar, buying parts to build a bike is very expensive, frustrating and slow. i started with a motor and a similar frame the motor came from and its turned out to be a ton of fab work and lots of beer to try and figure stuff out.

Bike
    Thanks for the information. Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm a mechanical engineer with a massive machine shop at my disposal. I plan on fabricating custom pipes and any other fabrication is not an issue.
    A rolling chassis would be ideal but have yet to come across one. Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear in my post in what I am after.
    I am after a T500 frame (ideally a rolling chassis with suspension wheels and swingarm) as I like the shape and look of the bike. A T350 would be a goer as well but I feel they would be even harder to come by.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I was gonna buy one that was in an MVX250 frame once. Cool bike, but would have been better in an RGV frame.

NSR are good because both sides of the frame cradle come off and can be custom made.

V twin 2 strokes are good, since the titan is a long motor.

Ya also get a bit fucked in the arse by the output shaft being the closer to the crank. So your sprocket is 6 inches off the swingarm pivot.

So, yeah. Like everyone else said, find a titan frame or you'll hate your life.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    Thanks for the information. Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm a mechanical engineer with a massive machine shop at my disposal. I plan on fabricating custom pipes and any other fabrication is not an issue.
    Yeah, probably should have.
    The assumption was maybe nearer that you worked at McDonalds.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Even when they were new, the OE frames were regarded as rubber - and heavy rubber at that.
    Have a look at a 250/4 late 80's - early 90's aluminium bean frame. The T500 is a fairly broad lump so a perimeter style beam frame
    should be a fairly easy fit.

If you're adamant on a period style tube frame, I could put you in touch with a mate who has a 250 Benelli frame which has been set up for a CB350 Honda twin engine. Better than the OE tube frame IMO - and already cut about a bit.

Bike
    XR650R
    a riding mate I used to know in wellington had a couple of those t500 suzuki's, we used to race each other all over the greater wellington region, the mtr did perform well but it's handling did leave him wanting.
    I wouldn't know if he kept them, as I lost contact with him about 30yrs ago, his name was Steve Perry, he lived up in Mornington area, behind brooklyn

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    And to be fair, my own 500cc 2 stroke twin into a 250 chassis with a fairly generous budget is stretching to silly timeframe. Sigh, . . . should get down into the garage to see if latest fix fits with the other components fitted.
    There were videos at one point right?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    a riding mate I used to know in wellington had a couple of those t500 suzuki's, we used to race each other all over the greater wellington region, the mtr did perform well but it's handling did leave him wanting.
    I wouldn't know if he kept them, as I lost contact with him about 30yrs ago, his name was Steve Perry, he lived up in Mornington area, behind brooklyn
    was he mrs perry's son?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    was he mrs perry's son?
    Steve Perry - he ended up being quite a successful musician, as I recall?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perry
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information