Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Kiwi coming up again....

Bike
    suzuki

Cold Kiwi coming up again....

yip, it's that time of the year aug 30th - 1st sept, just out of waiouru, great site that was used for the first time last year....
    Whose going?

Bike
    speed triple
    Sadly, for me,the fun police have destroyed the cold kiwi . The liability the land owners and the club face has turned the event into a shadow of its former self,
    To me the self made fun was what made the kiwi what it was.. this is where all the funny kiwi storis originate from.. weather that be monos, roaring around in the dark,falling in the drain, scrambling up hills, bikes on their limiter all night. people arsing off on the grass, fireworks shooting off everywhere, dancing around with a flaming ponga frond up ya date,whatever it was, that stuff has been stopped.
    God help the ruapehu motorcycle club if someone skins a knee. Those guys are liable, I'm sure they would love to run a rally of old but they simply cant...
    Last year hearing the dude on the speaker say " no riding bikes at night, dont even start them, along with no bonfire,designated drinking areas. No fun that isnt as safe as playing cards or sniffing roses.. for me theres nothing left
    After 25 years of contributing to the " fun" at the kiwi, and now being told off about it I think my time is up..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by lozz900 View Post
    Sadly, for me,the fun police have destroyed the cold kiwi . The liability the land owners and the club face has turned the event into a shadow of its former self,
    To me the self made fun was what made the kiwi what it was.. this is where all the funny kiwi storis originate from.. weather that be monos, roaring around in the dark,falling in the drain, scrambling up hills, bikes on their limiter all night. people arsing off on the grass, fireworks shooting off everywhere, dancing around with a flaming ponga frond up ya date,whatever it was, that stuff has been stopped.
    God help the ruapehu motorcycle club if someone skins a knee. Those guys are liable, I'm sure they would love to run a rally of old but they simply cant...
    Last year hearing the dude on the speaker say " no riding bikes at night, dont even start them, along with no bonfire,designated drinking areas. No fun that isnt as safe as playing cards or sniffing roses.. for me theres nothing left
    After 25 years of contributing to the " fun" at the kiwi, and now being told off about it I think my time is up..
    Over recent years the focus on the bonfire diminished to a point where there was maybe twenty people around it, the rest were in the marquee listening to the band, or at one of the many braziers that they didn't have many years ago.
    The club had to move sites, and everything had to be set up again last year, a massive effort by a very small number of dedicated enthusiasts none of whom live locvally, it's 3 1/2 hr drive for me to a working bee, it was decided to see how it went without the bonfire, as it's physically and financially a big effort to sort. Few missed it in reality, not sure what the club has in mind this year

I was the one on the mic last year, it was me saying no riding around at night, fuck me, what happens to everything if someone comes off, there's plenty of hazards on site, and it doesn't take much, either they hurt themselves, or plough through a tent and hurt others, where would that put the event in the eyes of the law simply? No-one has spent more nights at a cold kiwi Rally than me, done every night saturday since 83, and every friday since 1984, I want to party but i also want it to survive, remember the old 'what goes on tour stays on tour' saying, not any more with everything video'd and posted.......
    As for the designated drinking area, that's the liquor license crowd, and they do checks through the event so you're fucked if you think you can be slippery on that one....
    I've brought my ticket, i'll be back, and i'll be having fun.

Bike
    speed triple
    No question of the dedication required of people like yourself to pull this off year in year out.. Its a extremely big effort
    Yes social media changes the playing field somewhat and I take your comments about liabilitys and survival..
    None of my whining was directed at the RMCC whatsoever, more the world we live in and the bullshit hoops you guys have to jump through..
    Left to your own devices you guys know how to put on a great rally, Its a pity compliance incrementally has forced your arm..
    Keep up the great work sir.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by lozz900 View Post
    No question of the dedication required of people like yourself to pull this off year in year out.. Its a extremely big effort
    Yes social media changes the playing field somewhat and I take your comments about liabilitys and survival..
    None of my whining was directed at the RMCC whatsoever, more the world we live in and the bullshit hoops you guys have to jump through..
    Left to your own devices you guys know how to put on a great rally, Its a pity compliance incrementally has forced your arm..
    Keep up the great work sir.
    yeah i saw it wasn't a direct hit, just explaining. The latest site is many many acres, one could only imagine the carnage if riders decided to hoon around that large area late at night into the wee hours, and worse is someone tipping off and being found the next day simply....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Going to give this one a miss I reckon. Haven't built a toy for it, and have far too much on to get one done.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Going to give this one a miss I reckon. Haven't built a toy for it, and have far too much on to get one done.
    don't be a bedwetter, get along, they'r looking for a volunteer to do events i see today, that'd be you wouldn't it?

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I will be lounging in the sun on a tropical island this year but will be back next year. Much better site....and the angry young red head that shouts at everyone didnt seem to be there last year.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I'll be there again!

I definitely do not miss the fuckwits riding around at night, way to much possibility of someone getting hurt IMO. I can also do without hearing an engine bouncing off the rev limiter in the middle of the night. The problem with some people's idea of having a good time is that it can create other people's idea of a bad time. Seriously - reving an engine in the wee hours is fun how? Only if your idea of fun is pissing off as many people as you can. BTW - I know people that don't go to motorcycle rallies because of behaviour like that.

I wouldn't mind a bit less wind than last time, it was really blowing a gale! If the organisers can book in good weather that would be great.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Good on ya fellas,55 years of riding motorbikes,it has never remotely entered my head to go to a cold kiwi !!!
    rain ,wind, cold,water or beer and everyone in tents !!!!!. It appeals even less to this 70 yr old .
    But hey, carry on, have fun ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67807100_1338124686353012_9188855308842172416_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	342664

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Good on ya fellas,55 years of riding motorbikes,it has never remotely entered my head to go to a cold kiwi !!!
    rain ,wind, cold,water or beer and everyone in tents !!!!!. It appeals even less to this 70 yr old .

I went once, I was cured for life.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I went once, I was cured for life.
    what year? there's been a handful of showers but the last event you'd class as wet was about 22 years ago.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post

it's 2.3km's to the nearest motel.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what year? there's been a handful of showers but the last event you'd class as wet was about 22 years ago.
    15th, the one where the Rz250 & GS1000 had a head on just out of Waiouru & people were killed and maimed.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Been to two, one in 1985, just the whiff of brandy brings back memories....., last one was in late 90's where I let my mate pilot my BMW sidecar and crashed it near the Rarimu Spiral and had the most awful pillioning experience ever back to Auckland on a Monster.
    I have some vague recollection of Army food and toilets that were a plank with holes in them seating many....?
    Is Glamping offered? I can manage roughing it with an ensuite
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information