Thread: New Rider - EL250 bobber

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki EL250

New Rider - EL250 bobber

Hi everyone. I've decided to take up riding at 36. I have been intrigued by motorcycles since I was a teenager but never got around to owning one for whatever reasons. I've had one lesson so far with an instructor and will be completing my learners license some time in the next few weeks.

My interest in motorbikes other than riding them is learning how they work and being able to work on/customise them. I love the look of old diy bobbers. With this in mind I bought a 1989 Kawasaki EL250 as my first bike. It's had the rear chopped off and came with a spare 1988 el250 for parts. The bike's been reregistered and warranted since so I don't have to deal with that rigamarole. I've been tinkering away getting the bike running better, replacing some bits here and there from the parts bike, taking apart the carburetor and just generally learning how the thing runs by pulling it to bits and putting it back together. I've ridden it around a bit on the private road I live on. It runs nicely (I think) although I have nothing to compare it to. My plan is to strip it all down over the next year and repaint most of it, replace the wiring, lights, handlebars, hand controls and anything that I can legally modify while still getting a warrant.

I'm sure I will have a million questions over the next year. I'm looking forward to this overdue journey.

Bike
    XR650R
    welcome to my favorite obsession, modifying motorcycles, I'll have to warn you though - it's very insidious, can become an addiction with little prospect of a cure...
    have fun

Bike
    motocompo
    A thread about motorbikes! Let's keep this one alive.
    The last twenty posts are about a Pom most of us couldn't give a fuck about, or the American presidential elections.

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    hi, cute little bikes, ive got a pdf service manual if you need it.

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki EL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post
    hi, cute little bikes, ive got a pdf service manual if you need it.
    I found the service manuals for it, cheers though. Been plugging along fixing and modifying things. Got my licence and had my inaugaral ride yesterday to work and back. The ride home was at night in the wet. Not the safest learning environment but I did learn how fast I can take corners in the wet before I slide and how to correct a sliding bike.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1989 Kawasaki EL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    welcome to my favorite obsession, modifying motorcycles, I'll have to warn you though - it's very insidious, can become an addiction with little prospect of a cure...
    have fun
    Yup I'm hooked. Every spare minute at the moment is tinkering.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thread Information