Thread: Triumph Street Triple RS

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Triumph Street Triple RS

Hi All

I recently bought a 2-year-old Street Triple RS and I've now had a few enjoyable rides - So I thought that I'd write-up a few thoughts on what has been quite an important motorcycle for Triumph. Having owned one of the original Street Triples back in the UK I have some history with these rather enjoyable bikes and it's been interesting to see how things have moved on in the ensuing 10 years.

Engine

In a word - Brilliant. It's smooth low down but picks up like something demented when you wind the revs on. Sounds good too even with the standard exhaust system still fitted. The quickshifter works rather well too.

Electronics

I had to have a good read of the owner's manual before my first ride. Having said that it was time well spent as once you've figured the, admittedly easy to follow, dashboard it makes your life easier rather than harder. It all makes you realise just how basic the original bike was.

Chassis

The only bit that needs a bit of work to make it better. Having the Ohlins shock and Showa BPF front end the standard settings are pretty firm. I've set the damping to the Triumph 'Comfort' settings and tweaking the preload levels (Increasing it at the back end and decreasing a bit at the front) and it now feels more settled on the roads. The brakes are very good and thus far the TC hasn't been needed - Thankfully

Overall

This bike is a living example of the progress bikes have made over the past 10-20 years. It's easy to think that bikes and their technology hasn't changed and that things are much as they used to be - That just isn't the case and I'm glad that's the case.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have been riding my 09 Street Triple R since early 2012. I dont do a lot of k's in any given year but all the ones I do are purely for pleasure.... even the commute ones.

I have considered "upgrading" mine every time there's been a tweak from Triumph and I can say that I have ridden every iteration of the 675 motor. I came fairly close to getting the last of the RS 675's but in the end had no free cash to buy a bike with - so it didnt happen.

Basically every time I did the cost benefit analysis there wasn't enough of a difference between what I had (which has been quite extensively tarted up since new) and the new model.

The 765 might be a different thing though because it is bigger, the RS has quite a lot of fruit, it is light, and it has all the electronic whizz bangs that my bike does not have. Plus 120hp at the wheel according to a dyno chart I saw.

My bike is now worth fuck all - probably $7k if that so the upgrade cost is quite steep.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have been riding my 09 Street Triple R since early 2012. I dont do a lot of k's in any given year but all the ones I do are purely for pleasure.... even the commute ones.

I have considered "upgrading" mine every time there's been a tweak from Triumph and I can say that I have ridden every iteration of the 675 motor. I came fairly close to getting the last of the RS 675's but in the end had no free cash to buy a bike with - so it didnt happen.

Basically every time I did the cost benefit analysis there wasn't enough of a difference between what I had (which has been quite extensively tarted up since new) and the new model.

The 765 might be a different thing though because it is bigger, the RS has quite a lot of fruit, it is light, and it has all the electronic whizz bangs that my bike does not have. Plus 120hp at the wheel according to a dyno chart I saw.

My bike is now worth fuck all - probably $7k if that so the upgrade cost is quite steep.
    Henry

Surprisingly I don't think that the 765 motor, not in RS guise at any rate, is that much better than the original 675 motor. Perhaps the gearing is a little longer too, who knows, but I wouldn't say the new bike is that much livelier to ride than the original. I also owned a Daytona 675 in the UK and I reckon that the Street Triple felt better as it was tweaked to make its power at lower RPM which, in conjunction with more appropriate gearing, made it feel just as lively. Well to me at any rate. Perhaps the new unit is smoother and it sounds ruddy great but in the real world is it that much better? Hard to tell.

The difference is really in all the other bits of the bike such as the dashboard, riding modes and other non-engine related areas. The original is still a belter of a bike - It goes to show just how right Triumph got it first time around. This RS is a good example though of how Triumph polish and refine their bike models as time goes on. However, for the money I don't think you're really missing out as it were.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Cool write up.

My 675 is enough for me on the roads these days. I go riding with much bigger bikes but road speed isn't an issue and when its tighter I often have an easier time. Light bikes are where it's at I reckon. The midrange on the triple is surprisingly equivalent to my 1050 Tiger from weight reduction I reckon.

It's not enough to give you the scary thrill, but this is the road circa 2019 and litrebikes are increasingly less relevant.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Cool write up.

My 675 is enough for me on the roads these days. I go riding with much bigger bikes but road speed isn't an issue and when its tighter I often have an easier time. Light bikes are where it's at I reckon. The midrange on the triple is surprisingly equivalent to my 1050 Tiger from weight reduction I reckon.

It's not enough to give you the scary thrill, but this is the road circa 2019 and litrebikes are increasingly less relevant.
    Having done my Ride Forever Gold course on my 765 this last weekend I've now had the opportunity to get to know the Street a little better.

Good Points

Heated grips - They're ruddy good.
    Engine - Smooth, punchy and returned almost 19km/litre for the day's riding or some 53Mpg in old money. Pretty good for the performance on offer.
    Handling - Enjoyable on the twisties and the ergonomics seem to fit my 1.83m tall frame pretty well.
    The TFT screen is highly legible and gives me all the info I want plus you can alter what info you have on display too.

Not quite so good

The slow speed manoeuvring elements of the course highlighted the limitations with steering lock and slow speed manoeuvring around.
    The Quickshifter needs the oil to be properly warm before it works seamlessly. Even then it's not always 100% convincing in its action.

Overall I'm loving this bike. It is more than enough for the road and that sound never gets dull. The bigger question is whether it's worth the extra cost over the R or standard S models. If I'm being totally honest I'd say that the S would give you 90+% of the enjoyment for significantly less cost. However I'm shallow enough to admit that I do enjoy the extra bling bits of the RS too...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I dont use quick shifter for 1st to 2nd.

Also works best when up in the revs. Have to learn to change in a digital fashion. Fast and determined.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I dont use quick shifter for 1st to 2nd.

Also works best when up in the revs. Have to learn to change in a digital fashion. Fast and determined.
    Yep - That's my experience too. It is great fun on a twisty road though when you're flicking between 3/4th and 5th

Thread Information