Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way for cagers to kill us

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

A new way for cagers to kill us

I came up behind a slow car on a straight leading to a RH corner. Thought about overtaking as I was going quite a bit faster but decided not to. Then just as I closed the throttle, the car moved way over to the wrong side of the road to block me.

Potentially really fuckin dangerous. I thought about stopping and dialling *555 but I doubt the cops would do anything.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I came up behind a slow car on a straight leading to a RH corner. Thought about overtaking as I was going quite a bit faster but decided not to. Then just as I closed the throttle, the car moved way over to the wrong side of the road to block me.

Potentially really fuckin dangerous. I thought about stopping and dialling *555 but I doubt the cops would do anything.
    interesting, how do you know they were blocking you?

Bike
    It was on the good
    So you weren't overtaking and they pulled in to the wrong lane. Not sure how you think they were out to get you, probably saw you coming and pulled over to let you pass. Rental by any chance?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Nothing new with that, just something to be aware of when assessing an overtake.
    Was amused on my last lap of the SI with how many Toyota Corollas would slam the brakes on when
    you cracked the throttle to pass them and drift across open right handers oblivious to the traffic behind.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    So you weren't overtaking and they pulled in to the wrong lane. Not sure how you think they were out to get you, probably saw you coming and pulled over to let you pass. Rental by any chance?
    This was a 2 lane rural road. I would have been just about to pass when they moved onto the wrong side of the road.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    interesting, how do you know they were blocking you?
    It was a deliberate move to place the car more than half way across the centreline before the corner. Not a drift, more like a swerve. I think the driver was trying to stop me overtaking, but it's more likely he would have hit me as I was going past.

I'm used to cars drifting to the right, cutting corners, etc. This was definitely a deliberate manoeuvre to put his car in front of me.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

Happens virtually every day up the Thames coast road. No blocking, just careless driving.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I experienced coming around a RH corner and having what I suspect was a hired Toyota on my side of the road coming back from the Burt last year. A change of underwear was the only damage incurred but it did make me think of what I could have done differently/better.

I'm glad to say that I think I was doing all the main things right (Staying out wide to improve view and trying to look beyond the hazard) but I'll be honest it shook me a fair bit. Not pleasant and I'm just glad that you survived this episode relatively unscathed.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I experienced coming around a RH corner and having what I suspect was a hired Toyota on my side of the road coming back from the Burt last year. A change of underwear was the only damage incurred but it did make me think of what I could have done differently/better.

I'm glad to say that I think I was doing all the main things right (Staying out wide to improve view and trying to look beyond the hazard) but I'll be honest it shook me a fair bit. Not pleasant and I'm just glad that you survived this episode relatively unscathed.

Yeah, I kept thinking about what could have happened if I hadn't rolled off. I had a great ride in the end, across the bridge at Tuakau, down 22 and then a couple of back roads before heading back to the big smoke.

Bike
    XR650R
    when i lived in wellington during the late 80's, during a daily commute, plimmerton - nauranga gorgre, one morning i gunned the cbr6 from my street into the traffic flow , into a two- three car length gap, the car behind me must have thought he would hit me, as he slammed his brakes on , when I checked it in my rear vision mirror, I saw him turn red, he then stamped on his accelerator and tried to ram me into the car in front, I just swung over to the center line to dodge him and gunned it ahead thru the traffic, he nearly hit the car in front of me !
    made me be abit more plain about my intentions after that

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    One of my riding mates said to me about some of the appalling riding on group rides, that when someone does crappy overtaking on a car pissing the driver off, is the next people overtaking it are dealing with an already angry driver. Which is worth remembering because it is exactly right.
    Yes it would be nice if car drivers would just budge over a bit so you could go past and be gone, but they dont most of the time IME.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    raptor 1000
    so they were driving a actual cage?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    so they were driving a actual cage?
    You know, the sort you see on a small trailer, usually with sheep or pigs in it.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    You know, the sort you see on a small trailer, usually with sheep or pigs in it.
    he's from auckland, it will be Llamas or alpacas.

Thread Information