Thread: IoM TT doco

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

IoM TT doco

Really enjoyed TT3D Closer to the Edge on Sky last night. It's a documentary mostly about Guy Martin entering the Isle of Man TT races in 2010.

Plenty of onboard footage from bikes doing warp 10 around the twist road circuit, pushing it to the max and sometimes beyond.

A shot looking across the road from a fixed camera on the inside of a corner really brought it home to me. A succession of bikes raced through in a flash, of course, knees down, but I only heard them approaching for about a second or two before and a second or two after they passed: I guess the corner wasn't just a plain corner between two straights but one of a snaking series, with stone walls, kerbs and trees in place of gravel traps and runoff.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I was lucky enough to catch at the cinema when it came it out. When it finished everybody just sat there in a stunned silence. Pretty sure their would have been some slow rides home that night.

Mind bending doco.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I was lucky enough to catch at the cinema when it came it out. When it finished everybody just sat there in a stunned silence
    I stayed for a second session
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I saw it (sadly not at the cinema) a few years ago and loved it.

Have to wonder if the doco makers didn't pick (say) the top 20, plus five interesting people, and try to follow them all... I get the feeling that there was a shitload of footage left on the floor. A shame that there wasn't a bit more with Jenny Tinmouth, but maybe she wasn't comfortable on camera. Watching Guy Martin go from random-interesting-possible-contender to walking off with the whole doco simply by being Guy is quite something.

That Connor Cummins and Ian Hutchison got back on the bikes and raced again after their accidents is truly a testament to the hearts on both of them.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I must watch it again. I first saw it on a flight to Oz and it left me feeling quite stunned afterwards. The risk is part of why we ride bikes, but road racers take it to a place I personally wouldn't want to go.

I think the people who made it just got lucky that year, if that's the right word. Quite how those guys rode the TT again is just beyond me.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    I saw it (sadly not at the cinema) a few years ago and loved it.

Have to wonder if the doco makers didn't pick (say) the top 20, plus five interesting people, and try to follow them all... I get the feeling that there was a shitload of footage left on the floor. A shame that there wasn't a bit more with Jenny Tinmouth, but maybe she wasn't comfortable on camera. Watching Guy Martin go from random-interesting-possible-contender to walking off with the whole doco simply by being Guy is quite something.

That Connor Cummins and Ian Hutchison got back on the bikes and raced again after their accidents is truly a testament to the hearts on both of them.
    The documentary on Hutchy's recovery from his Superbike crash is worth a watch. But not if your squeamish.

After seeing this thread last night I watched the presentation by Dr John Hinds again. Another "doco" well worth re-visiting.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I must watch it again. I first saw it on a flight to Oz and it left me feeling quite stunned afterwards. The risk is part of why we ride bikes, but road racers take it to a place I personally wouldn't want to go.

I think the people who made it just got lucky that year, if that's the right word. Quite how those guys rode the TT again is just beyond me.
    The fireball stills and partial video are amazing ... but that kinda stuff and the fatalities happen every year including ordinary bikers carried away on the buzz of the place.

When the racers say they know the dangers, they're not lying. I'm not so sure about the tourists though.

Thread Information