Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

Dyneema jeans from Blackwood Safety

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeans.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	342674

Spotted this jeans ad in the Blackwoods Safety flier.

"Dyneema" is marketed as "the world's strongest fibre", an ultra long polythene molecule for the chemists among us. It has several advantages over Kevlar (aramid).

I doubt even Dyneema jeans are as road-rash-resistant as decent leathers but hopefully they are better than ordinary Denim ... or shorts and jandals ... or bareback.

They are black, stretch fit and comfortable. Good value I reckon at a fibre short of $100 inc GST

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Dyneema doesn't do too well for UV damage. It's the same fibre used in synthetic winch ropes.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Dyneema doesn't do too well for UV damage. It's the same fibre used in synthetic winch ropes.
    I never knew that. Doesn't seem to mind saltwater. I was on a trawler in the Southern Ocean with Dyneema winch ropes, 2km per winch. It is strong!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I never knew that. Doesn't seem to mind saltwater. I was on a trawler in the Southern Ocean with Dyneema winch ropes, 2km per winch. It is strong!
    Dyneema is the better of the synthetic ropes, it's more uv resistant and stronger than others. But it's still damaged with continuous exposure.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    "UHMWPE [e.g. Dyneema] when exposed to UV light only losses [sic] about 5% of it strength over about a 2 day period. Glove cut resistance changes little due to exposure to sunshine. Under the same conditions Aramid fiber [e.g. Kevlar] losses [sic] about 25% of it strength over about 2 days. Performance deteriorates rapidly."

http://bladebuster.ca/our-products/c...neema-vs-kevla

OK so that's not very well written marketing stuff on the Intarwebs, not a scientific paper, but it's a strong claim.

My cunning plan is only to use the jeans rather than the leathers for occasional short bike trips. The rest of the time they'll be in a closet with minimal daylight and negligible UV.

And an even more cunning plan is not to fall off.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Buy some actual motorcycle gear with proper armour. You don't see racers wearing textiles for a reason.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    The company I work for supplied those ropes George :-)

It's great in a straight line pull or lift, it doesn't like being rubbed over rough surfaces though.....
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    The company I work for supplied those ropes George :-)

It's great in a straight line pull or lift, it doesn't like being rubbed over rough surfaces though.....
    Crikey, you must have huge bobbins!

Doesn't bode well for preventing gravel rash.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    And seldomly is one delivered comfortably to the ground to start the abrasion test.

Short trips are the most likely for a prang, so why would you compromise safety for those trips?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Buy some actual motorcycle gear with proper armour. You don't see racers wearing textiles for a reason.
    And seldomly is one delivered comfortably to the ground to start the abrasion test.

Short trips are the most likely for a prang, so why would you compromise safety for those trips?
    My understanding of the pros and cons are
    Kelvar fibre materials offer almost unparalleled abrasion resistance. Unfortunately part of the reason why leather is such a great protective materials is it also slides across an abrasive surface like a road.
    keeping materials like Kevlar gloves on is an issues as they can be simply ripped off.

I remember a glove test done years ago
    They used a simple cheap Kevlar glove much akin to a cotton glove.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6227116-01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	342817
    it easy beat all the other leather race and road gloves when applied to a belt sander and left to see how long it took to wear a hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Crikey, you must have huge bobbins!

Doesn't bode well for preventing gravel rash.
    No it doesn't. . .

I have plenty of bobbins going for a donation to the staff fridge if you want some
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    On the track it's all about abrasion. Leather beats all for abrasion.

But on the track, you are normally only racing for brief periods. If I'm riding, it's often for 6 to 8 hours, sop I need something more suited to my needs.

Gear is almost always a compromise. I want lots of pockets, better venting and the ability to stay dry. Something leather struggles with.

I'd have a BMW Atlantis suit, if money wasn't an object. So meantime I make do with their textile suits. One for hot weather, another for winter. And another for mid season.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Impact is super important and textile suits have disadvantage of potentially twisting armour out of the way in a tumble. Formed leather isnt immune but Quantum levels better.

The racetrack has an abrasive surface but nothing compared to chipseal. They also don't put haybales or air fences around her majesties gutters or road furniture.

Zip together leathers are a good compromise. Pre broken hinge helmets aren't.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Impact is super important and textile suits have disadvantage of potentially twisting armour out of the way in a tumble. Formed leather isnt immune but Quantum levels better.

The racetrack has an abrasive surface but nothing compared to chipseal. They also don't put haybales or air fences around her majesties gutters or road furniture.

Zip together leathers are a good compromise. Pre broken hinge helmets aren't.
    Yeah, having your armour twisted out of position can be quite eye watering. I'm looking at the practicality of using an off road body armour "jacket" under my bike jacket which only fits where it touches. Must be better than the floppy foam bits in the jacket now. I usually wear fitted knee pads under my bike jeans but the cut of the jeans causes whistling round my swanickles when they ride up.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I have a Dianese safety suit sewn into my leathers

Thread Information