Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Rain Gear Recommendations 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    735
    Blog Entries
    4

    Rain Gear Recommendations 2019

    So my old PVC rainsuit which I’ve been commuting in lately failed in yesterdays rain.

    Anyone using anything in the current crop of locally available rain gear that they could recommend?

    Still haven’t found anything in the last ten years that lived up to the manufacturers claims for waterproofness for any length of time.

    The ‘Scott Ergonomic Pro DP Rain’ gear is new to me and more expensive than the usual, anyone using it confirm if it’s worth the extra cost?

    https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...paergopro.aspx
    https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...jkergopro.aspx

    My pants will thank you.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  2. #2
    Join Date
    24th November 2005 - 12:40
    Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Location
    Outside
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Anyone using anything in the current crop of locally available rain gear that they could recommend?
    I like Cactus rain gear (Lifties and Mountain Jacket) https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/ that I use for both the commute and for working in (outdoors day in and day out).

    While not specifically designed for bikes, their gear is as good as they claim.

    Not cheap, but worth it.
    =mjc=
    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    So my old PVC rainsuit which I’ve been commuting in lately failed in yesterdays rain.

    Anyone using anything in the current crop of locally available rain gear that they could recommend?

    Still haven’t found anything in the last ten years that lived up to the manufacturers claims for waterproofness for any length of time.

    The ‘Scott Ergonomic Pro DP Rain’ gear is new to me and more expensive than the usual, anyone using it confirm if it’s worth the extra cost?

    https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...paergopro.aspx
    https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...jkergopro.aspx

    My pants will thank you.
    Ive got both and lots of guys i know use them and keeps you dry, jacket can be a bit flappy around the shoulders but that could just
    be the bike i ride, it hasnt any fairing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    22nd March 2007 - 10:20
    Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    2,177
    Stay away from rain gear available in bike shops. It is not rear rain proof gear. only rain resistant. I went to a Agricultural farm supply shop. Asked what they would recommend for use on an open cab tractor. I now own and have owned for the past 15 years waterproof two piece suit that is light, breaths, very flexible and dose not absorb any water. One shake and the water falls off. Roll up into a small bag. I call them my "fuck off rain suit" fits over my riding gear with no worries. Soft elastic cuffs for arms and legs, pockets for wallet. Line 7
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,108
    I have an Oxford Cordura jacket and Rev'it pants. They're reasonably rainproof, especially for a few months after I've given them a wash with Nikwax Tech Wash, then re-proofed with Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in. However, unless you shell out on top of the line GoreTex, it's going to leak sooner or later. I've given up increasingly expensive textile gear and use 2 piece plastic for long hauls or really heavy rain. I use this top: https://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/st...27&t=1&c=71173 at $99. For overpants, I use Frogg Togg Toads from Revzilla, US$35: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ive-rain-pants. Stay perfectly warm and dry. The overpants allow you to get them off without removing your boots thanks to a long velcro-sealed opening on the legs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    1340
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I have an Oxford Cordura jacket and Rev'it pants. They're reasonably rainproof, especially for a few months after I've given them a wash with Nikwax Tech Wash, then re-proofed with Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in. However, unless you shell out on top of the line GoreTex, it's going to leak sooner or later. I've given up increasingly expensive textile gear and use 2 piece plastic for long hauls or really heavy rain. I use this top: https://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/st...27&t=1&c=71173 at $99. For overpants, I use Frogg Togg Toads from Revzilla, US$35: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ive-rain-pants. Stay perfectly warm and dry. The overpants allow you to get them off without removing your boots thanks to a long velcro-sealed opening on the legs.
    I bought Frogg Toggs when was in the US i cant say they're much good at all.
    That gear from Boyds looks a good price.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    I bought Frogg Toggs when was in the US i cant say they're much good at all.
    That gear from Boyds looks a good price.
    I bought them from Revzilla as those particular pants had good reviews. Have done a lot of wet weather riding in them and they haven't leaked at all. The overjacket from Boyd's doesn't have pockets but it does its job. It also folds up into a small volume which is handy as I don't have a lot of storage space.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    2013 Busa 2013 FJR1300
    Location
    Northern Waikato
    Posts
    2,328
    Revit Poseidon GTX is what I'm using.
    After many years of cheaper gear, went the Goretex way and wished I'd done so sooner, yep it's that good.
    Expensive and I can justify it in my line of work, so won't be for everyone.
    Four seasons in one day type of weather means I can just ride, all day long.
    If the words I say offend you, imagine the ones I keep to myself...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    735
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks for all the suggestions, at the moment have gone for a cut down pair of Warehouse PVC pants I already had under the rainsuit (yes it does look as silly as it sounds when getting ready).

    I have a Revit rain jacket and pants which I could try to reproof with the wash in stuff but that looks pretty expensive so might not be worth it due to their age. Not sure if it would help the rainsuit either, it is even older and made out of definitely NOT breathable nylon.

    I would love some goretex (in particular an Aerostich Roadcrafter or similar lol) but not in a position to fund that level of outlay at the moment.

    So maybe the Scott stuff next time I can make it to a bike shop, or some non motorcycle stuff if I can find any locally (Jafa).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  10. #10
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,848
    Scott stuff looked a bit thin but mates swear by it. They were staying dry on last tour and I wasn't. So I bought some.

    Have to be careful with the size, it is more realistic than Asian or Italian sizing. But it stretch fits so try it over your gear in the shop.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    15th February 2017 - 13:17
    Bike
    BMW G310GS
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    233
    I bought the Rev'it Posiedon Goretex jacket last time at the show when it was discounted. Not paying full price on that. Very warm and very dry. I feel like I have a comfy quilt on.

    For other jacket, I use Rev'it Cyclone H2O jacket on top. It's yellow and seriously visible.

    I have to do something about the pants, I can sometimes get a little bit of water come through the seams. But it's bearable for now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4bf2bca002.jpg

  12. #12
    Scott pants work well, seem thin but do the job in southland rain, roll down into smallish bag so packable as wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cbccdfe6f7.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    1st November 2005 - 08:18
    Bike
    F-117.
    Location
    Banana Republic of NZ
    Posts
    6,963
    I've used the Revit 2-piece for some years now, and it has stood the test very well indeed.

    An older version of this ---> https://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/st...aacidrain.aspx

    The only drawback is the lack of ventilation, so you can get a bit sweaty if the temperature increases... BUT for seriously rainy days (had a few this winter) it is superb for staying dry!


    My cordura "layered" jacket (with waterproof layer) is certainly NOT waterproof. I usually resort to the leather jacket with the waterproof shell over the top if it's seriously pissing down.
    TOP QUESTION: Is it called the 'Holy' Bible because the story in it is so full of holes?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    548
    I have a similar pair of Revit rain pants. Yes, they are waterproof but can get damp inside after a long ride on a wet, warm day. A pain to get over boots and leathers if they are even slightly wet.

    I have an old Kathmandu Goretex jacket that has never leaked. It has 2 layers and so doesn't feel as stiff as normal Goretex, which is good when putting it on in a hurry at the side of the road.

    It was discontinued a couple of years ago and I was too slow to buy a spare before they sold out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    13th April 2018 - 20:36
    Bike
    2015 CBR1000rr
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    97

    eek

    Everything wears with time, the Goretex gear is the best but the seals do give up over time, so if you commute everyday in goretex I doubt it would last. Fortnine did a review of water-proof gear about a year ago

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •