Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No new bikes or cars seem worth buying these days?

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Good topic. A base Mazda 6 station wagon is about the only vehicle that slightly attracts me also. I could afford it but does not make sense when a ten grand Caldina would probably just about be as good. Who knows, I am into my 13 th year of owning my altezza! Bikes, had a street triple for almost 2 years now. Little love for it but it does what I need so very well. I could buy 765 version, but why bother for little gain. HOWEVER I recently got a 2006 Kawasaki kdx200. Loving that wee bike and now can see the point in buying a late model trail bike. They really are good.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    You going to check if Ruby has any fish recipes? Then you can show Mrs B Bird what you intend to do with her catch of the day...
    Mark - hahaha! Perhaps safer than suggesting Mrs J's new attire when cooking snapper

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Good topic. A base Mazda 6 station wagon is about the only vehicle that slightly attracts me also. I could afford it but does not make sense when a ten grand Caldina would probably just about be as good. Who knows, I am into my 13 th year of owning my altezza! Bikes, had a street triple for almost 2 years now. Little love for it but it does what I need so very well. I could buy 765 version, but why bother for little gain. HOWEVER I recently got a 2006 Kawasaki kdx200. Loving that wee bike and now can see the point in buying a late model trail bike. They really are good.
    Cheers and good to hear someone else likes the look of the Mazda 6 wagon [in their new shade of red is sweet]. You nailed what I started this thread about with your comment on upgrading your 675 Triple " why bother for little gain". That's how I feel now looking at what's out there.

And thanks all for sharing your thought on this topic.

ps- I don't want to go off bike topic but I had a quick look at the Kia Stinger this morning and might go back and take their demo for a spin.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I made that mistake when I bought the first F800S in the showroom. 12 months later no bastard wanted one and I lost heaps. Same shit happened when I bought the MV675 F3. Couldn't give it away 18 months later.

and you worked with money, how did they handle your slow learning?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    " why bother for little gain". That's how I feel now looking at what's out there.
    Indeed. I look at new bikes and look at my old bikes and think the same. Is their really thousands of dollars worth of improvements?

I will be taking a T7 for a spin when they are released into the wild. If it fits, then the venerable TDM will need a new home. I always wanted a dirty TDM but the lead frame prevented me spending money. I may, may, get $3000 for the TDM, $16'999 for a T7.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Had much the same dilemma a year or so ago... the 22 year old Camry was written off after an Uber did an ill-advised u-turn in front of us. Bit peeved as suddenly had the question "What to buy?" to answer. Had decided before the crash that the Camry would be replaced but not for a couple of years as it did everything we wanted, and that would give me time to consider what was available...

Wanting to stay with large-ish sedan excluded all those SUVs that populate the urban scene, those hatchbacks that all seem to be a sad replacement for a genuine station-wagon - the mid-90's Corolla hatch we had at one time had a proper fold-down rear seat like a station-wagon. It wasn't until someone suggested Hyundai that I found something that I was happy to part with some funds for... a Sonata sedan. It's comfortable, capable of carrying 4 adults in comfort, a reasonable boot that swallows all sorts of stuff when touring, leg room for lanky legged brother-in-law to be comfortable in the back seat, proved to be a good touring car when taking sister and bro-in-law round the North Island earlier this year... just doesn't come as a station-wagon.

The person who suggested to look at Hyundai also suggested looking at the Mazda 6 which I did. The Hyundai won because the dealer was trying to clear stock and the Hyundai was reduced enough to be financially attractive whereas the Mazda 6 was firm with the price. But the Mazda 6 was a serious contender until the dollars were discussed.

Fast forward to now, doing the same exercise with the bike... what to replace a 2001 v-twin 650 with? Want something that is comfortable to sit on - otherwise the lower back asks "Are we there yet?" before going too far - and something I can flat-foot when stationary. Do want something with some weather protection... and something that I'll be happy to ride, something that brings a wee smile to the face when you head off down the drive...

P.S. The OP mentioned F800S... the F800GT is on the list as a possible replacement for the 650.

Bike
    motocompo
    Happiness is wanting what you have.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Also, always abide by the first rule of motorcycling.
    The bike you buy only has to impress you & nobody else, not even your spouse.
    Well said, bikes don't have to make sense, they just have to spin your wheels
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Well said, bikes don't have to make sense, they just have to spin your wheels
    Oh I can sympathize with the OP there Steve, have had that dilemma a few times in past 10 years...maybe that's why I've got more than one bike now

Makes up for the Corolla and RAV4 the wife and myself use for boring duties.

And your bike is hardly of the boring variety

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    MD, haha you could have avoided most of the depreciation like I did if you'd kept your VFR750F.

I reckon mine still looks good over 25 years later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190617_125347a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	836.8 KB 
ID:	342715  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Happiness is wanting what you have.
    This. Have had my Busa for 3.5 years, 2 drz250,s for years , the previously mentioned st 675 and Altezza. Wife has had her 98 mx5 for 11 years too. A decent lotto win would see an Aprilia Tuono factory in the garage in the blink of the eye, but I doubt I would buy new cars.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    To be fair tho, a lot of the new cars and utes are so good that it is hard to choose between them.
    Good, that is, until you have an electronics glitch...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i like my wrx

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I like your wrx too!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Sold

Technological advancement lagging behind? - perhaps?

Maybe when bikes catch up with battery technology the electric bike might satisfy your lust for something new? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2g_BNpG_Y -

Air industry is making big strides in electric now. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb3OmhO7_ao - Bikes must be doing the same - Quiet right now perhaps but any day soon?

Thread Information