Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My DX Mail gig is over.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    At least that would make sense.
    Hey has anyone seen some bricks of, uh, icing sugar that fell off my boat north west of auckland? Its got sentimental value.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    OK. Perhaps I should have explained a bit more about my new job. I'll be processing visa applications from the nice shiny office in the CBD, not asking people to remove their trousers in a small back office at the airport!
    cant have everything i suppose

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    OK. Perhaps I should have explained a bit more about my new job. I'll be processing visa applications from the nice shiny office in the CBD, not asking people to remove their trousers in a small back office at the airport!
    I hope you're not TOO disappointed then ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    did you do it on a cc110 ??? always wanted one of those but honda nz are bastards and have to work for mail delivery for them to even sell to you........... lets not ask the customer what they want but tell them, the bluewing way
    CT110, though these days they call them a Honda Cub, and you can get them up to 125 cc apparently.

I heard a few years ago that fully kitted with the bags, like the NZ Post bikes, they are paying $7K for them. Seems a lot, but if you treat these bikes right, they just keep on going.

Last bike I can think of that you can buy new with drum brakes front and rear, though this may have changed in the last couple of years.

You can ride off in any gear. 1 is super low, centrifugal clutch.

Fond memories of learning to ride on a CT90 on a farm back in the 70s. A good bike to learn from your mistakes on.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    if you treat these bikes right, they just keep on going.
    Sometimes, even if you treat them roughly, they keep going.

In 2006, we did a 4-day ride from Bluff to Picton, mostly off-road or shingle road, and it rained a fair bit each day. Snowed in Rainbow Valley! You wouldn't necessarily say it was good fun all the way, but looking back with rose-tinted glasses it was a fabulous trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT110, 1.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	342746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT110, 2.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	342747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT110, 3.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	342748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT110, 4.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	342749  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Australian moto journo/publisher Thoeming (?sp) toured the world on a CT90. He referred to it as his CT90 Interstate and it would be hard to argue with that.

Afterthought: On looking up references to Thoeming I see mention that he did his tour on an XL250. The short term memory ain't what it was but I recall him describing it as a CT90 Interstate which is a bit specific.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Sometimes, even if you treat them roughly, they keep going.

In 2006, we did a 4-day ride from Bluff to Picton, mostly off-road or shingle road, and it rained a fair bit each day. Snowed in Rainbow Valley! You wouldn't necessarily say it was good fun all the way, but looking back with rose-tinted glasses it was a fabulous trip.
    Next time you do that trip sing out because I would love to do that. I'd even buy a CT90 to do it on.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The Australian moto journo/publisher Thoeming (?sp) toured the world on a CT90. He referred to it as his CT90 Interstate and it would be hard to argue with that.

Afterthought: On looking up references to Thoeming I see mention that he did his tour on an XL250. The short term memory ain't what it was but I recall him describing it as a CT90 Interstate which is a bit specific.
    I think he invented the postie bike challenge they have over there - perhaps something to do with that?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I think he invented the postie bike challenge they have over there - perhaps something to do with that?
    One of our KB members, Jantar, did the postie bike challenge about 10 years ago. He was doing well until he dropped his front wheel into a hole filled with bull dust. Bike stopped dead and he didn't. Damaged his shoulder and he ended up in hospital - Alice, if I remember correctly.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    the big question is, does that mean a new motorcycle
    I don't think it will unfortunately. Bussing it is only about $25 a week which works out a lot cheaper than a bike with insurance and rego then parking and gas and that's excluding the purchase price of a bike.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    CT110, though these days they call them a Honda Cub, and you can get them up to 125 cc apparently.

I heard a few years ago that fully kitted with the bags, like the NZ Post bikes, they are paying $7K for them. Seems a lot, but if you treat these bikes right, they just keep on going.

Last bike I can think of that you can buy new with drum brakes front and rear, though this may have changed in the last couple of years.

You can ride off in any gear. 1 is super low, centrifugal clutch.

Fond memories of learning to ride on a CT90 on a farm back in the 70s. A good bike to learn from your mistakes on.
    Super Cub now. Fuel injected even!
    Neat little bikes. So agile and comfy enough to spend 6 hours in the saddle. I'd have one in my garage if offered. Mine has done 40200km and will do 70kph comfortably. 80 if you give it time.

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Super Cub now. Fuel injected even!
    Neat little bikes. So agile and comfy enough to spend 6 hours in the saddle. I'd have one in my garage if offered. Mine has done 40200km and will do 70kph comfortably. 80 if you give it time.
    It couldn't keep up with my one though 108kph downhill on the airport overbridge with a tail wind and empty bags was my best My worst was 50kph with full bags and a headwind.

Welcome to the "Ex DX Postie" club. Winter days at work inside and watching the rain through the window are quite nice.
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    It couldn't keep up with my one though 108kph downhill on the airport overbridge with a tail wind and empty bags was my best My worst was 50kph with full bags and a headwind.

Welcome to the "Ex DX Postie" club. Winter days at work inside and watching the rain through the window are quite nice.
    Yes, I remember your bike was always faster than mine ... or were you just braver than me?

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    His was first class.

Bike
    motocompo
    I don't think it will unfortunately. Bussing it is only about $25 a week which works out a lot cheaper than a bike with insurance and rego then parking and gas and that's excluding the purchase price of a bike.
    I hope you do.
    It doesn't cost a lot to get a banger that needs a bit of work, & everyone knows someone that's handy with tools.
    Even if it's just something to ride for a couple of hours locally on a Sunday afternoon.

Thread Information