Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GSX750ESD Getting Wierd

Bike
    Exercycle
    There's a well known mod for elderly bikes with voltage drop problems. Simply insert a relay so that the switches - ignition and or kill switch - activate the relay and send 12v direct to the coils. Gets rid of the voltage drop through old switchgear.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    There's a well known mod for elderly bikes with voltage drop problems. Simply insert a relay so that the switches - ignition and or kill switch - activate the relay and send 12v direct to the coils. Gets rid of the voltage drop through old switchgear.
    Good idea and yup, done that before on cars.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Part of washing my bikes involves blowing out the switchgear with compressed air, followed by a ride of up to 100kmh for a few minutes.
    Yea mate, that's what I usually do as well, as well as draining the carbs if it's going to sit for a long time, which I didn't bloody do on my other bike due to me getting real sick, ie nearly dying. So now have that bike to do a carb clean on as well, and that's a nightmare to pull the carbs on, 2006 S83

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I've done that for the headlights on the R1. There was almost a 2 volt drop from the battery to the headlight relays. There is now 13.7 V at the bulb holders - I can actually see where I'm going at night!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    motocompo
    I have to ask, did you use a voltmeter or ohms meter at any point during this diagnosis & repair?

Bike
    suzuki
    those blue connectors are for 2.5mm cable, red for 1.5, mistake right there. it's the old story, most electrical faults are mechanical faults.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I have to ask, did you use a voltmeter or ohms meter at any point during this diagnosis & repair?
    Yea mate, I have 3 of the buggers, thats the wierd thing though you see, everything checked out, there was little resistance between the kill switch terminals, voltage shown at the igniter and coils was only down about .4 of a volt compared to actual battery voltage which I put down to wiring loom resistances, the only real wierd one which got me on track was the big voltage drop to the coils and igniter while cranking which put me on the track that the starter was stuffed, which it isn't, drawing to much current but, buggered if I know, it seems the kill switch clean did the trick. As long as it stays that way when I get the carbs back and assemble it all again.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Ahh, thats a bit better than the previous abortion. Now there is no resistance at all from the positive terminal all the way to the igniter, same with the earth. Just gotta get the carbs back now, they weren't ready for the weekend damn it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190823_214129.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	783.5 KB 
ID:	342787  

Thread Information