Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSX750ESD Getting Wierd

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R

GSX750ESD Getting Wierd

Damn this thing, it's getting strange, OK, everything checks out OK, coils, igniter etc. We still have no spark BUT if you are winding it over there is no spark but just has you let the starter button go if the engine is still winding a bit and is in the right place it sparks, a nice big fat blue one. Also the battery voltage, brand new battery, is reading 12.7 volts. When winding the voltage being supplied to the igniter drops to 9.5V while winding over, I've checked the main fat earth cable attached to the engine, that's all good but the other thinner earth cable disappears into the loom somewhere, as far as I can tell there is no other earth connection on the frame etc. Any ideas? It's doing my head in.

Bike
    motocompo
    Have you checked the pickups & made sure the trigger is tight on the crankshaft?
    Does flicking the killswitch off & on create a spark?

Bike
    motocompo
    Break it down, Is the trigger doing what it should, pickups? Are they clean with correct air gap & tight? Wiring connectors from pick up to loom? Wiring to igniter (ECU module) Wiring to & fro killswitch/ignition switch? power to module? Constant Power positive to coils, power switching negative to coils.
    Is the starter drawing so much current that it's robbing the ignition system of sufficient voltage to make sparks?
    Have you tried pushing it to see if it sparks, especially at night with all the plugs out?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Coils wired to the wrong side of the starter relay or solenoid?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Heya mate, yup done all the above except trying to push it, ain't fit enough to do that, you'll see why if you call in. Gonna give it a rest and attack again tomorrow. I'll bet my left testicle it's something simple and stupid. Flicking the kill switch does not produce a spark, which is weird, I think according to what I've read it should.

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS

This may be a long shot

Several thousand years ago my 1981 GS450 twin had a similar problem and it turned out that the very elderly starter motor was drawing way to much current, it would crank but the voltage drop, even with a good battery, was such that the ignition wouldn't fire anything. When the motor was spinning and the starter button released the inertia in the motor meant that it spun over for another revolution and there was a big fat spark because for that tiny spot in time the starter was no longer drawing the current. Bump starting was simple [no starter current draw] and the problem went away when the starter motor was replaced. I don't know if you could test this by using a jump battery for the starter only and the standard bike battery for the rest of the electrical system - hooking the jump battery positive directly [and temporarily] to the big positive lead from the starter solenoid to the starter to turn the bike over.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Sounds like the igniter is not getting enough volts. I had the same thing with a tired battery on the ZZR1200 - it would crank the engine but not start it. Jumpered another battery and away it went.

Did you charge the new battery? Lead acid batteries are only partially charged out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Several thousand years ago my 1981 GS450 twin had a similar problem and it turned out that the very elderly starter motor was drawing way to much current, it would crank but the voltage drop, even with a good battery, was such that the ignition wouldn't fire anything. When the motor was spinning and the starter button released the inertia in the motor meant that it spun over for another revolution and there was a big fat spark because for that tiny spot in time the starter was no longer drawing the current. Bump starting was simple [no starter current draw] and the problem went away when the starter motor was replaced. I don't know if you could test this by using a jump battery for the starter only and the standard bike battery for the rest of the electrical system - hooking the jump battery positive directly [and temporarily] to the big positive lead from the starter solenoid to the starter to turn the bike over.
    Mate, that's exactly what I'm beginning to think, the voltage supply to the igniter when cranking drops to about 9.5 volts which I'm thinking is not enough power for the igniter and coils, the voltage supply to the coils drops to around 9.5 volts also while cranking.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Sounds like the igniter is not getting enough volts. I had the same thing with a tired battery on the ZZR1200 - it would crank the engine but not start it. Jumpered another battery and away it went.

Did you charge the new battery? Lead acid batteries are only partially charged out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Yup, brand new battery was charged overnight on a smart charger. Yea, this is what I'm beginning to think, read my above post re voltage dropping.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R

It's alive

IT'S ALIVE, well sort off, carburetors are a mess from sitting for three ish years. Well today I decided, after looking at the wiring diagram, the kill switch is what supplies power to both the igniter and the coils, that's all it does oh and to the start solenoid as well. Pulled the right hand switch gear apart and unfortunately the switch itself cant be pulled apart to clean the contacts but after a spray with contact cleaner and CRC I put it back together and what do you know, after a bit if fired up, only on 3 cylinders though due to the carbs. So off come the carbs, holy sheeeet, they are a mess, green goo for miles, number 3, the cylinder that wasn't firing is the worst by far, pilot jet was completely gooed up the the jet needle was even jammed in the emulsion tube, so off to someone tomorrow that has an ultrasonic cleaner I think. So after all that I think a bit of dodgy wiring and corroded kill switch that's all that's wrong with it. Oh, it fired up with the original HyperPak igniter too so thats a bonus, it's good after all. Attached is a pic of the abortion wiring job someone did to connect the HyperPak unit, why they did this I don't know as they use the OE connectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190819_142848.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	342772  

Bike
    motocompo
    Wasn't that the first thing I told you?
    Get rid of those god forsaken blue "car mechanic terminals" for fucks sake.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Oh jeezuz, Pre-insulated terminals. Pre-destined to fail.
    I'd still consider the switch an issue, once dry check for voltage drop again.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Wasn't that the first thing I told you?
    Get rid of those god forsaken blue "car mechanic terminals" for fucks sake.
    LOL, they are gone mate, along with the stupid orange screw block connector you can see hiding there, who ever did that job needs a frikkin bullet. Lets just say when it goes back together with clean carbs it better bloody go.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Oh jeezuz, Pre-insulated terminals. Pre-destined to fail.
    I'd still consider the switch an issue, once dry check for voltage drop again.
    Yup certainly will do. All going to plan hopefully might be able to ride it this weekend.

Bike
    motocompo
    Part of washing my bikes involves blowing out the switchgear with compressed air, followed by a ride of up to 100kmh for a few minutes.

Thread Information