Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98

Thread: Grey Gold

  1. #31
    Join Date
    25th June 2019 - 16:26
    Bike
    Pani
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    43
    Thatís the point, those bikes that used to cost not much are now selling for moonbeams but still delivering glass brakes, rubber frames and cold porridge engines.

    Its nothing to do with what I own or ride btw, unless Iím reading this forum incorrectly. That its elitist for old bikes and old gents. I happen to enjoy motorcycling but are really surprised at the prices paid for old very average bikes. I paid $400 for a 73 RD 350 in 1979, that same bike would be many thousands now. For what exactly?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Thatís the point, those bikes that used to cost not much are now selling for moonbeams but still delivering glass brakes, rubber frames and cold porridge engines.

    Its nothing to do with what I own or ride btw, unless Iím reading this forum incorrectly. That its elitist for old bikes and old gents. I happen to enjoy motorcycling but are really surprised at the prices paid for old very average bikes. I paid $400 for a 73 RD 350 in 1979, that same bike would be many thousands now. For what exactly?
    For nostalgia.
    its not a new thing & its not going away.
    Try Beach hop if you want to see people paying moonbeams to live in the past.
    Im glad youre happy with the latest & greatest, we get it.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Thatís the point, those bikes that used to cost not much are now selling for moonbeams but still delivering glass brakes, rubber frames and cold porridge engines.

    Its nothing to do with what I own or ride btw, unless Iím reading this forum incorrectly. That its elitist for old bikes and old gents. I happen to enjoy motorcycling but are really surprised at the prices paid for old very average bikes. I paid $400 for a 73 RD 350 in 1979, that same bike would be many thousands now. For what exactly?
    some of it is to have the challenge in a ride, to master a bike on a ride, to use every bit of it. i remember my first new bike, an 81 gs550ex, i could scrape the pegs, i could feel it moving under me, of it's limit i could use most of it, how much of the modern bikes give people a sense of that?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,973
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    some of it is to have the challenge in a ride, to master a bike on a ride, to use every bit of it. i remember my first new bike, an 81 gs550ex, i could scrape the pegs, i could feel it moving under me, of it's limit i could use most of it, how much of the modern bikes give people a sense of that?
    Ohh, ohh. Did you ever race Temporarily Kiwi?
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    25th June 2019 - 16:26
    Bike
    Pani
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    some of it is to have the challenge in a ride, to master a bike on a ride, to use every bit of it. i remember my first new bike, an 81 gs550ex, i could scrape the pegs, i could feel it moving under me, of it's limit i could use most of it, how much of the modern bikes give people a sense of that?
    What a load of romantic twaddle; itís like saying ďhere smash your head against this wall, when you stop you will feel greatĒ

    Riding well is in the head mostly but all things being equal, modern bikes are light years ahead in virtually every area except for being old.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,508
    I did a google for what a Panigale was, used to the factory suburb from memory back in 04 when I called in .... 33 k😳. Iíd have to flog all least 2 old shitters to buy that. Glass, Flexi and porridge it is then 😁
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    25th June 2019 - 16:26
    Bike
    Pani
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    43
    Try paying for 200/60 rears which die every 2000 kís
    Getting reamed by Winston and his gang of misfits would be such a relief Iíd probably be giving them reach arounds to show my gratitude

  8. #38
    Join Date
    20th January 2008 - 17:29
    Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Location
    Auckland NZ's Epicentre
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Try paying for 200/60 rears which die every 2000 kís
    Getting reamed by Winston and his gang of misfits would be such a relief Iíd probably be giving them reach arounds to show my gratitude
    Dunlop 3:50 19"'s last for ages and only about $180.00

    I'm not sure I've ever noticed tyre prices dropping much with changes of Govt, more likely that lies with the importers ticket clipping.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    What a load of romantic twaddle; it’s like saying “here smash your head against this wall, when you stop you will feel great”

    Riding well is in the head mostly but all things being equal, modern bikes are light years ahead in virtually every area except for being old.
    how do explain the existence of classic racing, indeed, how do you explain the existance of any racing below moto gp level, excluding cost then??????

  10. #40
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,790
    Bikes are visceral and modern bikes offer better performance for less input.

    If performance is the bench mark buy the next must have rocket, if riding satisfaction is the aim then buy what fits, even it seems to be an overpriced piece of shit. It's all about smiles per mile. And the individual.



    My old man has had a plethora of the latest bikes hoping that one of them will tick his boxes. He's given up, underwhelmed by the owning and riding experience. I think the most recent bike he owns now is an early noughties CBR, nestled alongside his 2t's, Piaggio MP3, tourer and trials bikes.


    Hopefully the value of the modern classic is on the rise. I could be sitting on a gold mine in a few years. My old man already is. Pretty much everything he owns is worth more than he paid for it. MP3 aside. So far.
    Manopausal.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    25th June 2019 - 16:26
    Bike
    Pani
    Location
    Dorkland
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how do explain the existence of classic racing, indeed, how do you explain the existance of any racing below moto gp level, excluding cost then??????
    Thatís a whole new ball of wax, I never said all old bikes are shit, plenty are, anyway who wouldnít like a spin around a track on any number of racing classics? But thatís not the topic, I grew up with shitty jap bikes that killed a lot of people due to being really shitty so itís a real eye opener to see the same shitty bikes getting a spun as desirable classics.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    3rd May 2010 - 18:46
    Bike
    E=mc2
    Location
    Westbridge
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    That’s a whole new ball of wax, I never said all old bikes are shit, plenty are, anyway who wouldn’t like a spin around a track on any number of racing classics? But that’s not the topic, I grew up with shitty jap bikes that killed a lot of people due to being really shitty so it’s a real eye opener to see the same shitty bikes getting a spun as desirable classics.
    I grew up with Jap bikes too from the late '60's . You use the word shitty a lot . There's always been bike accidents and the fatalities following.

    A desirable bike is always subjective. 5 c

  13. #43
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    6,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    I grew up with shitty jap bikes that killed a lot of people
    I have many bikes, they're all inside my house and for the last twenty years i have slept well and not once woken up and found a bike about to kill me, and i'm going to sleep tonight and not lay their thinking that any one of them is going to come up the staris and kill me, i can assure you they simply won't.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Thatís a whole new ball of wax, I never said all old bikes are shit, plenty are, anyway who wouldnít like a spin around a track on any number of racing classics? But thatís not the topic, I grew up with shitty jap bikes that killed a lot of people due to being really shitty so itís a real eye opener to see the same shitty bikes getting a spun as desirable classics.
    I think the only thing that's shitty is your opinion towards other people's values.
    Why don't you fuck off & push your one eyed opinions on people that give a fuck about your Italian pile of shit & your small dick.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    5th January 2007 - 14:58
    Bike
    motocompo
    Location
    Buttfuck nowhere
    Posts
    4,700
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I have many bikes, they're all inside my house and for the last twenty years i have slept well and not once woken up and found a bike about to kill me, and i'm going to sleep tonight and not lay their thinking that any one of them is going to come up the staris and kill me, i can assure you they simply won't.
    The clown obviously can't control anything that doesn't do half the job for him & is trying to gather a posse that agree with him.
    He couldn't ride back in the day & obviously still can't.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •