Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grey Gold

Bike
    Pani

Grey Gold

Checking out the trademe listings, as you do, and there seems to a lot of old bikes from the 70's mostly that people are trying to and in some cases selling for pretty ridiculous prices.

Bikes like GT Suzuki's, CB Honda's and a plethora of other plain old crap. Those bikes were not very good in their day and are arguably 50 times worse now but the nostalgia about them is at an all time high. I can only conclude that old people who have a bit of spare coin are desperately trying to relive their youth or youthful fantasies.

So the point is get in now and sell your old crap now and cash in!

Bike
    KTM
    Sorta like CRT tv's. Doesn't really matter how good they were back in the day they absolutely suck compared to anything modern.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Checking out the trademe listings, as you do, and there seems to a lot of old bikes from the 70's mostly that people are trying to and in some cases selling for pretty ridiculous prices.

Bikes like GT Suzuki's, CB Honda's and a plethora of other plain old crap. Those bikes were not very good in their day and are arguably 50 times worse now but the nostalgia about them is at an all time high. I can only conclude that old people who have a bit of spare coin are desperately trying to relive their youth or youthful fantasies.

one of the big attractions is pre 80 bikes are just $59 for rego, on a big bike that's damn near $2k in four years you can save, people like it as the bike sitting there regoed doesn't live rent free in their head.

Bike
    Pani
    I guess the question is what is collectible vs what is just old.

Someone has a 40 mile jubilee Triumph on for 25k, the last gasp of a dying manufacturer that absolutely fits the crap then/crap now bracket but the rarity of it being "new" means someone will buy it.

What prompted this thread was its not just bikes, really shitty cars like Prem Holdens people will pay moonbeams for. Cash in gents, cash in....

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    one of the big attractions is pre 80 bikes are just $59 for rego, on a big bike that's damn near $2k in four years you can save, people like it as the bike sitting there regoed doesn't live rent free in their head.
    Personally Id pay the extra so I can have handling, braking and power as well as better metallurgy and design. However I can see that there is a place for old bikes and long may they live in the hands of people who love them but its the cashing in on crap angle that I find intriguing.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It's not at all uncommon for people to place a premium on things associated with their youth. This doesn't just apply to wheels but to lots of collectibles.

As for motorcycles, I prefer those with all mod cons.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo

Honestly, nobody really cares about your trolling for attention.
    But if you want to discuss overpriced unreliable crap for posers with small cocks, how about those Ducati's?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Its simple economics, supply and demand.
    Alas the post 2008 cheap money is not what it used to be.
    I liked driving my Mums 253 Premier....a Monaro would have been cooler but...
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Its simple economics, supply and demand.
    Alas the post 2008 cheap money is not what it used to be.
    I liked driving my Mums 253 Premier....a Monaro would have been cooler but...
    I learned to drive in an HQ Holden Kingswood. I'd sort of have another but not really.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Dad had a Monaro he ordered from the factory as you could in those days with overseas funds, with a Kingswood body and cut down from springs. Sort of like a reverse mullet. Party at the front. Family in the back.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    its the cashing in on crap angle that I find intriguing.
    how do explain Harleys then?

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Honestly, nobody really cares about your trolling for attention.
    But if you want to discuss overpriced unreliable crap for posers with small cocks, how about those Ducati's?
    How about fuck off?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Bikes like GT Suzuki's, CB Honda's and a plethora of other plain old crap. Those bikes were not very good in their day .....So the point is get in now and sell your old crap now and cash in!
    I think you may have misunderstood then. They weren't crap in their day at all. They were as good as any of the competition and in the case of the CB's, the death knell for the unevolving brit bike industry. They certainly aren't flash by todays stds, that's for sure but they are an investment. How much of an investment is uncertain and is controlled by the buyers themselves. They certainly have aged well tho quality wise. For a good comparison, look how much a VW Kombi in good nick is worth. And there is nothing flash about them either.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how do explain Harleys then?

I cant explain them, except that they are the worlds largest dress up company.
    They are an interesting phenomenon though, they dont handle well, brake or even have a lot of power but they do have enough to keep a lot of people happy. Its easy to be a bit mean to Harley riders but to be fair a lot of them like to be part of something and i think that's probably the main reason.

As far as old bikes are concerned, Ive had them all from that era H1's H2's, CB's GT's,RD's LC's, Tridents, Speed Twins even a 60's Puch split single and many others, there is not a single one I would go back to, they are all best left in picture books or on display somewhere as a reminder of when bikes killed a lot of people. Prems are ok but 35k for one... really? When I was growing up grey ex cop HQ's were de rigeur for drink driving, laying rubber and had a pretty good bonnet for filleting fish on.

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I think you may have misunderstood then. They weren't crap in their day at all. They were as good as any of the competition and in the case of the CB's, the death knell for the unevolving brit bike industry. They certainly aren't flash by todays stds, that's for sure but they are an investment. How much of an investment is uncertain and is controlled by the buyers themselves. They certainly have aged well tho quality wise. For a good comparison, look how much a VW Kombi in good nick is worth. And there is nothing flash about them either.
    Good points, I'm probably a bit harsh on them but they are still awful.

this thread is more a muse on what i see as really high prices for very average bikes and the greying market for them. I see it in several areas other than bikes, but nostalgia is an odd emotion that imbues a wishful and unrealistic history onto these machines. Theres a CB 500 on for 8k but hasnt hit reserve yet so it may be a 10 k bike, it has a lot of "watchers" Hey its their thing but i still think its rubbish even though I had fun riding a few back in the 70's. We grew out of them because better things came along.

Thread Information