Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1982 HONDA CB250RS Brakes Update

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250

1982 HONDA CB250RS Brakes Update

Hi all,

I'm looking to update the brake pads/shoes on both the front disk and rear drum of my 1982 CB250RS. I believe it still has the original pads in from factory

I'm unsure of modern brake pads brands, quality, etc etc

Would be great if someone out there who knows their parts, could suggest a solid set to go with

Cheers!

P.S. Totally curious if anyone has experience updating an older HONDA with modern callipers, if it's worth it etc?

Bike
    motocompo
    Gold Fren sintered pads for the front are fantastic.
    They will also improve wet weather braking performance.
    Not sure what you can do about the rear,as far as lining material goes.
    a strip down & clean out, cleaning & lubrication the pivot shafts on both the lever & back plate & dressing the drum with emery should make it as good as it's going to get.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You will get many opinions. Jay insisted goldfren would be good but on my roadbike I found them dead. I put Brembo pads in and night and day. A mate on other end of spectrum used them on his enormous 1400 Suzuki and hated them, fit EBC HH. Wont shut up about it. . Both of us chucked them less than 1/3 worn.

But indeed a full service is required on an old bike. There will be YouTube video on how to strip calipers. They are simple if you are clear thinking and prepared to buy replacement parts rather than reuse dogey.

Calipers are lowest point so water scunge sinks so you must pump the piston out and clean behind. Also pluck out the seals. The grooves they live in will need careful cleaning. I use a blunt dental tool and softish brass brush dremel rotary bit. The chalky stuff must go and often the ally is not coated. Chromated finish is a dream of cleanliness but largely only nissin '00s onward.

Main seals inspect with magnifying glass. Often they are fine but outer dust seals aren't. Replace anything slightly worn.

Replacing brake parts with non std will legally require an LVV cert so if you think it looks different from std you could end up not getting a wof.

I've seen some dangerous chinese master cylinder out there, but I've seen a couple of decent oem looking ones. Tread carefully.

Old brakelines should be replaced, but theres a story in itself.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpl View Post
    ... I'm unsure of modern brake pads brands, quality, etc etc
    Have you tried original equipment ???

ie: Have you been to a Honda parts distributor ... if you think the '82 vintage parts would still be better than "Modern" stuff ... ??

How effective the modern parts are would depend on how much weight you're trying (expecting) to slow down ... or what speeds you're slowing down from ...

As with most things ... some results may vary ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    You will get many opinions. Jay insisted goldfren would be good but on my roadbike I found them dead.
    Ahh yeah, hes my parts go to guy too as you can probably guess.
    Goldfren are incredibly good value for money compared to the absolutely unmatched & very expensive Brembo Z04 pads.
    The only pads ive ever fitted where a racer asked for a bit less braking bite.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    To be fair I'm using the gfren ceramic in the rear of the 675 and they are fit for purpose there

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    To be fair I'm using the gfren ceramic in the rear of the 675 and they are fit for purpose there
    Must remember that if I ever wear out the rear pads in the R1.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it was weird. First time I've had a bike that had a weak rear brake. My YZF750SP had touchy brakes and I'd try introducing air to tame it.

I like the rear brake on the road, especially in the wet. But this required you push hard and that didn't make for delicate adjustments. Heavily sintered ebc I think. Had a very worn disc, so I trailed a Chinese pad but only minor improvement. Found a better disc and ceramic pads and it behaves great now.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Cheers everyone and sorry for the delayed reply! KiwiBiker doesnt send me notifications... I appreciate all the recommendations from your past experiences a lot

~ J

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    KiwiBiker doesnt send me notifications...
    Go to "Settings" and change it so you do get notifications you want. (Like if somebody quotes you)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Go to "Settings" and change it so you do get notifications you want. (Like if somebody quotes you)
    Thanks very much!

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250

Update

UPDATE:

Hi all,

Taken onboard all the advice and have since stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the caliper.
    -Old pads weren't looking all that terrible but have a new set of GOLDFREN HH SINTERED pads on the way regardless.

I'd like to get a Master cylinder rebuild kit as it's the only piece in the brake system that doesn't seem to function properly, having checked the brake line and all the banjo bolts for leaks/blockages.

It appears to build pressure (pumping lever while finger is over the banjo hole) But when I release my finger, only a spurt of air comes out. Shouldn't there also be fluid spurting out?

I'm about to take it apart (remove the totally rusted circlip, piston, spring etc) but am struggling to find replacement kits, anyone got any golden hints? Ideal NZ based as waiting for parts from the UK is a total bummer...

It's a 1982 Honda CB250RS ("A" version, kickstart only)

Cheers everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 13-09-19, 12 54 36.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	968.9 KB 
ID:	343061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 13-09-19, 12 54 46.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	797.3 KB 
ID:	343062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 13-09-19, 12 54 57.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	620.7 KB 
ID:	343063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 14-09-19, 12 19 00.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	343064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 14-09-19, 12 19 16.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	774.0 KB 
ID:	343065  

Bike
    suzuki
    UPDATE:

Hi all,

Taken onboard all the advice and have since stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the caliper.
    -Old pads weren't looking all that terrible but have a new set of GOLDFREN HH SINTERED pads on the way regardless.

I'd like to get a Master cylinder rebuild kit as it's the only piece in the brake system that doesn't seem to function properly, having checked the brake line and all the banjo bolts for leaks/blockages.

It appears to build pressure (pumping lever while finger is over the banjo hole) But when I release my finger, only a spurt of air comes out. Shouldn't there also be fluid spurting out?

I'm about to take it apart (remove the totally rusted circlip, piston, spring etc) but am struggling to find replacement kits, anyone got any golden hints? Ideal NZ based as waiting for parts from the UK is a total bummer...

It's a 1982 Honda CB250RS ("A" version, kickstart only)

Cheers everyone!
    have you tried anaconda? in te aroha?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    A complete front brake assembly off a slightly later CBX250RS would've been a better way to go....improved power & feel and bolts straight on without any mods

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    have you tried anaconda? in te aroha?
    Good idea, planning to give them a call tomorrow!

Thread Information