Thread: Help getting XL500 road legal

Bike
    1981 Honda XL500

Help getting XL500 road legal

Hey guys,

I have a 1981 Honda XL500 that I'm trying to get road legal. It has all it lights and indicators that still work, new tyres etc. As far as I'm aware it should pass a WOF piece of piss. The problem I'm having now is that it is missing the vin tag from Germany where it was used on the road over there. It has the frame tag and motor serial numbers still there. I have been in contact with VINZ and they are saying that I need proof of registration in Europe before I can get it road legal here with out having the vin tag. Is there another way to get around this as it has been in storage for 20 years before getting some love and rebuilt, so tracking down evidence of it being registered over there is proving a struggle.

I do know I need the brake declaration too, can this be done by myself with pictures to provide evidence?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Bike
    Old Bikes
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...o-rego-details

Also

http://vcc.org.nz/wp-content/uploads...r_06062019.pdf

Go and see the Vintage Car Club folks in your neighbourhood. Pay the $100 inspection fee or join the club. Vehicles over 30 years old. They might be a bunch of old Barry’s but NZTA respect their knowledge.

NZTA will rely on an entry certifier or VCC inspection cert for authenticity of the bike. Throw as much information at them as you can. Old magazine articles, factory manuals, old photos from back in the day, internet stuff about engine and frame numbers etc. If you can make it quack like a duck, they’ll sign it off as being a duck. The key is to remove any doubts about whether it’s a duck or not.

If it’s European, find the Euro website that says Euro spec Honda’s were the same or better than ours. Press print.

Identifying the bike is only half the picture. You also need to prove ownership. After 20 years you probably won’t have a receipt. You can do a stat. declaration about the ownership trail and why no receipt (witnessed by a pillar of the community) Now seek a NZ Police statement that they have no interest in the vehicle. It’s not stolen.

Only then does road worthiness become relevant.

Approach NZTA armed with this library of documents and open your wallet.

PM me if you need a hand with the stat. dec. I’ve drafted a few in my time.
    Ginge

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    In the UK there were never any VIN tags on bikes. Just the frame and engine number. Why would you really need anything else? No idea why NZ wants its own tag.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    1981 Honda XL500
    Cheers for the info guys!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    In the UK there were never any VIN tags on bikes. Just the frame and engine number. Why would you really need anything else? No idea why NZ wants its own tag.
    vin tags weren't a thing here when that honda was new

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginge09 View Post
    Now seek a NZ Police statement that they have no interest in the vehicle. It’s not stolen.
    I don't think Police do that anymore ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by spearo92 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a 1981 Honda XL500 that I'm trying to get road legal. It has all it lights and indicators that still work, new tyres etc. As far as I'm aware it should pass a WOF piece of piss. The problem I'm having now is that it is missing the vin tag from Germany where it was used on the road over there. It has the frame tag and motor serial numbers still there. I have been in contact with VINZ and they are saying that I need proof of registration in Europe before I can get it road legal here with out having the vin tag. Is there another way to get around this as it has been in storage for 20 years before getting some love and rebuilt, so tracking down evidence of it being registered over there is proving a struggle.

I do know I need the brake declaration too, can this be done by myself with pictures to provide evidence?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt
    I had a few xl/xr's of that vintage and none of them had a vin, just engine/ frame numbers.
    Are you sure the German editions even had a vin?
    Sounds like a lot of cocking around for a bike model that are/were common as muck in NZ.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    1981 Honda XL500
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I had a few xl/xr's of that vintage and none of them had a vin, just engine/ frame numbers.
    Are you sure the German editions even had a vin?
    Sounds like a lot of cocking around for a bike model that are/were common as muck in NZ.
    Cheers. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to have a VIN tag from Germany, just getting mucked around by people over the phone saying I either need that or some form of registration from Germany in order to get it Vinned here.

Would I be best to just take it to VTNZ and see they say.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    VTNZ, VINZ, VCC, AA or a private certifier are all only going to go so far.

NZTA owns the database. They must protect it at all costs. Any documents you produce have to satisfy them. Authenticity and ownership.

For a 38 year old bike I wouldn't be taking it to anyone that didn't understand 38 year old bikes. Find a Honda bike shop and get a pointer to an inspection agency in your area that knows old Hondas.

As Jasonu says, they were common here. But only for those that remember them. Anyone else will get confused and reach for the motorbike policy manual in a panic. I have vinned three pre '75 bikes. All without ownership documents or overseas VIN tags. All legit bikes. Just old.

Authenticity and ownership......
    Ginge

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I don't think Police do that anymore ...
    No, the don't I went and asked recently. But they said that VTNZ may contact them about it - if the re is an issue etc. - at some point. That's what they told me.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information