Thread: 'remanufactured' HP for BYOD?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

'remanufactured' HP for BYOD?

Just doing the school BYOD thing for little Miss 12 for next year. PB Tech have a range of 'HP Reminufactured' lappies ... lappies that were returned for one reason or other, sent away, fixed where necessary then put out again at reduced prices. Speaking to the salesman he said that often these are better than they are straight out of the box as a human has had a look at it and fixed where necessary. Thoughts on 'remanufactured' (which I take to be different to refurbished) please?

This is the particular one we are looking at with a similarly priced Acer as another one we're looking at.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...r=related-view

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...trabook-14-FHD

Main difference seems to be the 'remanufactured' one is 8gb RAM instead of 4gb in the Acer.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Just doing the school BYOD thing for little Miss 12 for next year. PB Tech have a range of 'HP Reminufactured' lappies ... lappies that were returned for one reason or other, sent away, fixed where necessary then put out again at reduced prices. Speaking to the salesman he said that often these are better than they are straight out of the box as a human has had a look at it and fixed where necessary. Thoughts on 'remanufactured' (which I take to be different to refurbished) please?
    Can't help you with the "remanufacturing" question but in terms of PB Tech, we've bought all sorts of things from them over the years and they've been a pleasure to deal with. We've only had a couple of items in that time where we've had an issue and on both occasions, there have been no dramas with PB in resolving them.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Can't help you with the "remanufacturing" question but in terms of PB Tech, we've bought all sorts of things from them over the years and they've been a pleasure to deal with. We've only had a couple of items in that time where we've had an issue and on both occasions, there have been no dramas with PB in resolving them.
    Ditto.

I have an HP Probook from PB which is still going strong, Windows 7 phwoar! When I bought the lappie and connected it to speakers it crackled. Being a rare occurrence I procrastinated and waited until the warranty had 2 days to run before I moaned. They took it back and repaired something, not the crackling. I sent it back again, well out of warranty, and they fixed it. I even scored a spare power cable..... Pleasant service and my only cost was one way courier, a pittance.

My security camera system is also from PB and sold as refurbished. It arrived factory fresh, right down to sealed boxes and all the little plastic bags.

I would not sweat it. Consumer law dictates fit for purpose and is pretty robust. Pick the lappie you like and go for it.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    A child is going to give the laptop a physically hard time, so I'd be looking at a price point that will allow for the inevitable replacement. I have purchased a lot of ex-lease gear from PC Traders in Auckland and its always been excellent value. Leased (ie business) equipment tends to favour functionality over glitz and the by the time the usual three year lease period is up the ones that are going to fail will probably have done so already. Of the 140 -135 odd devices (laptops, desktops, monitors) I have purchased from PC Traders I've returned 1 laptop that the audio would not work. There have been a few in-service hard drive failures but HDDs are more or less consumables anyway. I tend to favour HP and Dell.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I wouldn't buy either. You can get ex-lease business laptops for a few hundred dollars that will have a faster CPU and are built to a much higher standard. Consumer stuff is OK for home use, but may not last long when used as a portable device.

I currently use an 8-year old Dell as my main work laptop. I fitted a SSD when I bought it 5 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. I will probably replace it next year but only because Windows 7 support ends in February.

Dell Latitude or Lenovo ThinkPad would be my recommendations.

Thread Information