Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving bad crashes

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    I have to admit - Aprilia RSVs are pretty tough. This one took a hell of a whack.
    Apparently mine endoed twice and all I did was undo my triple clamps and straighten it up and mine was good to go, RMX must be a bit tougher
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Apparently mine endoed twice and all I did was undo my triple clamps and straighten it up and mine was good to go, RMX must be a bit tougher
    Maybe... but then again, you are pretty svelte compared to me. Need to lift your pie game son.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    I have to admit - Aprilia RSVs are pretty tough. This one took a hell of a whack.
    It is clearly and indisputably fucked. How did you get on with your insurance company?

BTW when I said clipped I knew from your original post what had happened. Just a general term I use. Sorry if it bugged you and thanks for sharing this story. It has got me thinking about my motorcycling future.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    BSA A10
    We need some pics, so 5 fractures on the two ribs plus a few more on others means I got some titanium bits to hold them together, one of my greatest disappointments in life was them not setting off the airport metal detectors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ribs.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	343056  
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    We need some pics, so 5 fractures on the two ribs plus a few more on others means I got some titanium bits to hold them together, one of my greatest disappointments in life was them not setting off the airport metal detectors
    Yeah it does make you wonder if the titanium doesn't show stuff eh? with the metal in my leg I should set it off but it just doesn't.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    It is clearly and indisputably fucked. How did you get on with your insurance company?

BTW when I said clipped I knew from your original post what had happened. Just a general term I use. Sorry if it bugged you and thanks for sharing this story. It has got me thinking about my motorcycling future.
    Nah you didn't bug me mate.

The insurance company (Protecta) were awesome. Third bike I've had written off with them (three times not my fault) and they were great.

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Since we're sharing, this is the result of me hitting a car at about 85-90 km/h. The car was stopped at the stop sign. Right up until I was set on the bend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike and Car close up - smaller.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	343165  

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    The short short summary
    1. I won the bloody lottery that afternoon, because
    2. Walking in A&E by 9pm, nothing broken, because
    3. Did my best superman impersonation over the bonnet, rather than into the car. Apparently.
    4. Lost memory of the worst 20 minutes of my life, starting from the turn in to the bend to coming to in the ambulance, because
    5. Used helmet as brake pad.
    6. Bad light and busy crossroads, 100 km/h in my direction, stop signs left and right. Driver - wait for it - didn't see me and thought they had a gap.
    7. Replaced my crap-fitting jacket 3 weeks prior as a birthday present to myself. Win.
    8. Hyosung clearly build a durable headlight.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Fuckin hell, you certainly did win the lottery. Take it from me, hitting something at that speed is not fun.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    I wonder what learning points you took - aside from the robustness of the headlight, helmet and jacket.

Has it made you change your driving style? If so, how?

Conversely, do you feel invulnerable?

In short, any advice you'd like to share?

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    In short, any advice you'd like to share?
    It's a good question, and one I revisit every so often, as it reminds me to take care.

Key takings were (1) I will be able to parent my kids tonight - ride appropriately, (2) I was the gap the driver was looking for - convoy travel on roads like this at shitty times is a good defense (3) more thinking about my visibility, e.g. light, obstructions, attention level of drivers, (trust but verify) (4) ATGATT helps - don't skimp.

Did I change my riding style? Yes, became more pro-actively defensive. I am much more aware of what is going on, look further down the road than before, check what the drivers on cross-roads can see and are looking at. Regularly ask 2 questions - where am I going to go if... and what is this driver going to do next? Re-took the R4E silver course. Take the car more when I'm tired. Take the car often when it gets wet - partly for me and partly to mitigate other people's crappy driving.

I can remember a lot of detail up to just before the "oh, shit" moment. That's gone, fortunately. The light was getting dim. I was tired. I was riding at about 95 km/h leading up to the intersection, with a good gap opened up to the next car behind me. I could see the car I hit waiting at the stop sign, plus one other from the other side waiting to turn right into my lane. There were 3-4 oncoming cars ~200 m away from the intersection. I had worked out I was in a compromised position. I was actively checking all the cars and thinking about where I wanted to be going round the bend (slight right-hander, surface not perfect, what happens if that car moves). I had moved closer to the centre to provide more buffer to the car, which ended up probably saving my life. Ironically, I had my long-awaited full licence test booked about 3 weeks out and was actively assessing all the hazards in preparation of this (7 year gap away from riding while overseas, then another 18 months on the new bike). I spent too long assessing each car, road surface, road positioning, etc., and was fixated on whatever I was looking at at the time. This meant I didn't pick up the movement of the car as early as I could have. There's a whole bucket of discussion there surrounding more safety not making things safer...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxythingy View Post
    check what the drivers on cross-roads can see and are looking at. ..
    Plus one to that.
    I always look at the wheels of other vehicles stopped at intersections, driveways etc. For me that is the best and most accurate way of telling if the vehicle is moving or not. If they start moving before I think they should alarms go off in my head.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I noted that the driver wasn't harshly penalized due to the sun being in his eyes among other things. I read of a similar circumstance recently where a pedestrian was injured/killed. If the sun was in the drivers eyes that means the sun was "behind" the pedestrian/rider and their visibility would have been optimal, not withstanding other factors. A little thought about your own visibility, which is not the best even in the best of circumstances, should have suggested extreme caution.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    I know how you feel
    March 2016 I was coming home from the Mothers Day races at Manfield. I was doing 100kmh going round a sweeping right hander and a car coming the other way turned across my lane to turn into a driveway. No signals, a row of trees to the left, an oncoming truck to the right. I hit him mid grill, a glancing blow. I flew through the air, grass, sky, road, grass , sky road and landed heavy on my back.
    Bike landed in some trees, on the rev limiter in 5th gear.
    I got up on my elbows, took my helmet off and I was staring at the sole of my right boot just under my chin with a bone sticking out of my Sidi boot. Rang my wife and told her I was 5km from home and not likely to make it.
    Long story short, three transfusions later, amputated right leg above knee, compression fractures to C5 and C6 spine, two rotator cuffs blown out and puncture wound to right arm where the brake lever stuck me.
    I'm all good now but living life on a prosthetic leg, back pain but mobile.
    Just fell over last week because it's just a byproduct of losing a leg, lost over a litre of blood, shit loads of stitches in the head.......

It's good to be alive
    Sorry to hear that mate ... It is good to be alive

Sounds like 2019 has been a bad year for kiwibikers ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    A little thought about your own visibility, which is not the best even in the best of circumstances, should have suggested extreme caution.
    If the cars coming the other way have their sun-visors down, that's a big clue that you'll be appearing "out of nowhere, your honour". But how to reduce the risk I'm not sure. Slow down. Move to the left maybe. Watch extra hard for oncoming vehicles pulling out of their lane to overtake, or pulling out of side roads and driveways. Flick on the main beam. Deliberately weave a little.

Lots to think about!

Thread Information