Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory ABS

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've seen quite a few examples of people saying "I came off coz my brakes locked up".

Which is actually fudging the real cause, being a lack of proper brake application.
    I'd say it's actually a lack of proper assessment of the road surface.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'd say it's actually a lack of proper assessment of the road surface.
    If a rider on public roads, needs to brake hard enough to lock up either (or both) wheels ... then there are a few other things that were not properly assessed (or noticed) soon enough.

Riding within the law and having "Right of way" will not guarantee an uneventful ride. And to see possible issues ahead ... first you have to look for them.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak S83 View Post
    How many new bikes have ABS? Have a look at motorbike sales so far for this year, nearly ALL the big sellers have no ABS. The number 1 seller for 2018 and so far this year is the GSX150, no ABS there. And the year before that before the Gixxer craze the number one seller was the GN125, no ABS there either.
    Funny, when I think of ABS the bikes you mention are not the first ones that spring to mind.

Europe has had mandatory ABS for some time. Some importers here didn't offer it because they like to maximise their profit margins. Fuck rider safety, the priority is the bottom line. ABS won't pose any problem for the manufacturers, they are already offering it in other markets. Now they'll provide it here too.

As long as it's switchable on the tall rounders everybody should be happy.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i would say a fair few motorcycles accidents are those where a relatively inexperienced rider is faced with a panic stop situation,so brakes are slammed on,resulting in an instantaneous lock up of front wheel followed shorly afterwards with a fall.The abs may prevent the fall but the impact with the car will probablt still follw instaed of the fall,maybe hit the car.I would also think the impact on the market will be rather slow,with only new bikes having abs.

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    Gotta say that ABS in the wet is useful though .
    Yeah there's a lot to to be said for correct braking technique eg using both brakes with the accent on the front & anticipating a situation etc
    But when its a wet cold miserable day & hard out raining , abs is bloody reassuring

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable View Post
    Gotta say that ABS in the wet is useful though .
    Yeah there's a lot to to be said for correct braking technique eg using both brakes with the accent on the front & anticipating a situation etc
    But when its a wet cold miserable day & hard out raining , abs is bloody reassuring
    Perhaps ... a system of compulsory Rider Training courses prior to gaining each class of license ... including this very subject. It must be better to learn prior to an "incident" ... than after. Learning by your accidents is seldom fun. Usually hurts too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Idk. How about we have both? ABS so it is there when it's needed, and training to avoid having to use it. Seems like a good solution to part of the problem.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Some importers here didn't offer it because they like to maximise their profit margins. Fuck rider safety, the priority is the bottom line.
    I'd place my money more on it being Kiwi buyers wouldn't spend the extra money over the standard model so the dealers didn't bother to bring them in. I've seen examples of $70,000 NZ new cars here (top of the range) without specs that came as standard on the $40,000 imported models (base spec).

Bike
    KTM
    Now, ABS.

Next, mandatory GPS trackers.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I'd place my money more on it being Kiwi buyers wouldn't spend the extra money over the standard model so the dealers didn't bother to bring them in. I've seen examples of $70,000 NZ new cars here (top of the range) without specs that came as standard on the $40,000 imported models (base spec).
    Perhaps some more recently, but others were quite up front about "maintaining margins", they didn't give the option even though it was available They'll bring them in now though - and that's good.

I get the impression we've got some "riding gods" here, people who don't think they would benefit from ABS. That's nonsense.
    In a one-off crash stop situation nobody beats ABS.

The reaction of the Transport Dept cops was a bit surprising when the first ABS equipped bikes appeared. Their main concern was that there would be no skid marks to measure after an accident.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    ABS brakes do not improve stopping distances, they actually make them worse. What ABS allows is to steer while braking as hard as possible, thus avoid loss of traction/direction. That's how they work on cars as well.

Straight line stop, ABS is not really beneficial. Changing direction while braking hard, ABS can be the difference between life and death.

The moment wheel locks up, it's lost control over direction and bike/car will go in the direction of inertia and gravity alone.
    Tougher licensing tests would also go a long way to improving the crash stats.
    As someone else said I can't remember the last time (or any time) I had an accidental lock up that was a concern.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    ABS is the only thing that I'd particularly like for my bike. On wet roads it would be a nice backup so you can get hard on the brakes quicker. I'm quite ginger in the wet and I've raced for years and ride dirtbikes.

From what I've seen the days of extended abs results has reversed the other way.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak S83 View Post
    How many new bikes have ABS? Have a look at motorbike sales so far for this year, nearly ALL the big sellers have no ABS. The number 1 seller for 2018 and so far this year is the GSX150, no ABS there. And the year before that before the Gixxer craze the number one seller was the GN125, no ABS there either.
    And you don't think that there are other countries in the world with this already legislated and suzuki have an ABS model already available?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    So ... "Older Model" bikes still exempt from this legislation ... ???

Seems funny though ... (lack of) braking ability is seldom the actual issue in a crash ... Authorities still believe that SPEED is the only issue needing attention ... so we should need to slow down better.
    they did say they are looking at saving 34 lives over 26 years so yest seldom

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Perhaps ... a system of compulsory Rider Training courses prior to gaining each class of license ... including this very subject. It must be better to learn prior to an "incident" ... than after. Learning by your accidents is seldom fun. Usually hurts too ...
    so you think an afternoon training will give you the neccesary tools in your head to sort a out a near one off dodgy braking situation two or ten years later?

Thread Information