Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory ABS

Bike
    I Ride No More

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Hmmmmmm, best I get my imported 93 CRM registered before the law change. I think.

It is classic and collectible.. And noisy and smoky.

In other news. Apparently in the EU they have just passed legislation making front and rear ABS non switchable... Front, meh. Rear, keep your hands off. Muppets.

(Soz if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread.)
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so you think an afternoon training will give you the neccesary tools in your head to sort a out a near one off dodgy braking situation two or ten years later?
    How many training courses are compulsory now .. ???

Will probably need at least a full day course ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'd say it's actually a lack of proper assessment of the road surface.
    Exactly, only reason my poor gixxer front wheel locked is I failed to notice the build up of grit I was braking on. Was such a gorgeous bike too. My fault. I do wonder if ABS would have saved it though? Anyone ever tried ABS on a sandy surface?

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

In other news. Apparently in the EU they have just passed legislation making front and rear ABS non switchable... Front, meh. Rear, keep your hands off. Muppets.
    ABS is always switchable. There are many ways to do this: Remove a fuse; wire in an actual switch in line with a wheel speed sensor; use the appropriate technique that early model Super Tenere's needed (don't know about current models) by running them in gear at moderate revs on the centre stand until the 'fault' light illuminates, etc.

Just 'cos the gummint says so, doesn't mean you have to accept it.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    ABS is always switchable. There are many ways to do this: Remove a fuse; wire in an actual switch in line with a wheel speed sensor; use the appropriate technique that early model Super Tenere's needed (don't know about current models) by running them in gear at moderate revs on the centre stand until the 'fault' light illuminates, etc.

Fairy snuff.

I just feel that this legislation potentially makes a bike more dangerous rather than safer. I've had to lay a bike down once to go under a truck trailer and avoided a car in my lane by sliding the rear.

No more skidding into a car park, either.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KTM

I wonder if a bike sold with ABS and then 'tampered' IE an inline-switch or something, would still be insurable (or insured if the mod was discovered)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    I wonder if a bike sold with ABS and then 'tampered' IE an inline-switch or something, would still be insurable (or insured if the mod was discovered)
    Or warrantable?

Is a ABS checked for a WOF?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    A mate could not get a WoF on his BMW because the ABS light stayed on,so yes it is checked.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    A mate could not get a WoF on his BMW because the ABS light stayed on,so yes it is checked.
    D'oh! True dat. I forgot about all the forsaken VW's draining cash because the ABS warning light stayed on.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Or warrantable?

Is a ABS checked for a WOF?
    A car would fail WoF if it's ABS has been tempered with or is made inoperable. Same would be the case with bikes.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'll still have my dinosaurs.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'll still have my dinosaurs.
    but as someone who has been so vocal over the years on riders improving their survival rate it would be interesting to hear your take on this.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    A car would fail WoF if it's ABS has been tempered with or is made inoperable. Same would be the case with bikes.
    If a road test was done ... it might (should ??) not be noticed. But would you take it back to the same tester for the next WOF check ... if he told you it wasn't working ... ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Indian Scout

I did that on my 2006 BMW F800S because I wanted to see if it would do stoppies. Trouble was disconnecting the ABS also killed the speedo, trip metre and odometer, which quickly became surprisingly frustrating. Soft suspenders meant stoppies were hard work anyway.

Early bike versions of ABS were suspect. F800S was more dangerous than helpful but they have improved over the years. I can't see a problem with modern road bikes having to have it. Switchable would be nice but I doubt we will get the luxury of choice.

I did the Gold Ride safe thingy in 2017 and was surprised the rest of the group had never ridden hard enough to trigger their ABS (Wimps). Part of the course was experiencing it happen on seal crossing onto gravel. I reckn most experienced Riders would struggle to brake better than their ABS, especially on gravel.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information