Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory ABS

Bike
    motocompo
    Abs needs to be switchable.
    Riding a 1200 GS BMW in deep gravel is almost impossible with abs on, it falls on its arse constantly, like riding a bike with a serious misfire, goes front heavy & is a bloody handful.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    A car would fail WoF if it's ABS has been tempered with or is made inoperable. Same would be the case with bikes.
    The WOF test will see if the ABS light comes on with the ignition and then goes off when the motor is running, same as the air-bag (SRS) test. Thats about as far as testing will go. There are ways to defeat both systems without being obvious
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If a road test was done ... it might (should ??) not be noticed. But would you take it back to the same tester for the next WOF check ... if he told you it wasn't working ... ??
    ABS would be lit on the dash as soon as the ECU detects a fault with the system. If a shop is prepared to ignore that, I would walk away and go somewhere else.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    The WOF test will see if the ABS light comes on with the ignition and then goes off when the motor is running, same as the air-bag (SRS) test. Thats about as far as testing will go. There are ways to defeat both systems without being obvious
    On my Jeep, that is how it works. But on my bike every time I start it, ABS light keeps flashing till I'm doing 5-6 kms per hour and then it goes away. If you just start it and let idle, the light keep flashing. It's all part of the self-diagnostic.

On both, I can manually disable ABS and traction control (Jeep) when off-road. Although then the light stays on.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post

I did the Gold Ride safe thingy in 2017 and was surprised the rest of the group had never ridden hard enough to trigger their ABS (Wimps). Part of the course was experiencing it happen on seal crossing onto gravel. I reckn most experienced Riders would struggle to brake better than their ABS, especially on gravel.
    One of the very first things I did when the wiff got one of these new fangled cars with abs was try out when it kicked in and over what. Heck I did it on the test drive when I finally bought one last year.

I'd def try it on a bike to see what happens. I always try how fast you can stop on normal brakes to calibrate yourself.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    XR650R
    my 2016 gsx-s1000 has and, I find it's actually dangerous, it won't interrupt untill you start to get tyre close to chirping , but when it does it takes forever to restore braking, it shoots forward horrendously, If i was about to rear end a cage that pulls out of a side street, it would definetely result in a crash as i trained myself to brake up to the churping point, i'd disable it in an instant if I could , I can remove fuse but then have another annoying light on the dash, the first being the 'traction control'- they should relable them " the lack of control button " ever watched a superbike start sliding , then the rider turns off the throttle, instant high-sided, the much more expensive systems may work better, but the ones on my bike suck,

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's disappointing. That roadshow thingy they did demonstration comparison with clear advantage to abs. Although it was on a tall suspension bike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Whether you personally agree with ABS being mandatory on bikes or not this move has been a long time in coming. As with most such moves once it's made compulsory the manufacturers are remarkably adept at getting it onto their machines for next to no additional cost.

Having owned bikes fitted both with and without I would be lying if I didn't think that it provides a welcome safety net if things do go South. Most of the time I can brake just as well on a non-ABS equipped bike in the dry but it's on those 2:37 in the afternoon on a wet and windy Friday afternoon when you're getting to the airport type of rides when it'll prove to be worthwhile. IMHO if it saves me just the once then it's worthwhile.

However, each to their own and all that.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Whether you personally agree with ABS being mandatory on bikes or not this move has been a long time in coming. As with most such moves once it's made compulsory the manufacturers are remarkably adept at getting it onto their machines for next to no additional cost.

Having owned bikes fitted both with and without I would be lying if I didn't think that it provides a welcome safety net if things do go South. Most of the time I can brake just as well on a non-ABS equipped bike in the dry but it's on those 2:37 in the afternoon on a wet and windy Friday afternoon when you're getting to the airport type of rides when it'll prove to be worthwhile. IMHO if it saves me just the once then it's worthwhile.

However, each to their own and all that.
    It's been mandatory in a lot of countries for quite some time, even Australia is ahead of us with this legislation. Any negative issues would be well and truly out in the wild by now.

The EU legislation for non-switchable rear ABS is a different prospect IMHO. Adventure style bikes are the next biggest seller after Cruisers in most Western countries. Admittedly, their are not a lot of gravel roads in Brussels...

As for cost, I'm sure manufacturers would be happier making one bike for the world rather than offering ABS or non ABS for specific markets. You would think that the gain in production line efficiency would be a cost saving - and that would trickle down to the purchaser. You would hope, anyway.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Me, I'm not keen on ABS.

Just on the general principle that I do NOT want brakes that can decide to turn them selves off.

Time to update the logo to "Bevelhead Dinosaur" me thinks.

Now just where was that obscure setting again...?

aha - sweet - sorted
    =mjc=

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    Me, I'm not keen on ABS.

Just on the general principle that I do NOT want brakes that can decide to turn them selves off.

Time to update the logo to "Bevelhead Dinosaur" me thinks.

Now just where was that obscure setting again...?

aha - sweet - sorted
    Your post immediately brought to mind a number of reviews I have watched lately, the recent crop of high tech ADV bikes. Every time the terrain changes riders stop and adjust the settings.... They used to be ciggie breaks.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Every time the terrain changes riders stop and adjust the settings.... They used to be ciggie breaks.
    We called them "safety briefings".

And it may not have been tobacco in them ciggies.
    =mjc=

Bike
    motocompo

Now its a vape & set your bike to ghey mode stop.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

That would explain why the electrickery doo hickeys seem to make no difference off road.

Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Now its a vape & set your bike to ghey mode stop.
    Driftin away from stoppin now, sorry. I don't get why you buy a 100hp+ bike and then neuter it with a (few) press of the button.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information