Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory ABS

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Mandatory ABS

Copy and paste. Not my opinion.

Life-saving motorcycle technology to be mandatory from April 2020

The most significant change to motorcycle safety in New Zealand in decades is on the way with the introduction of mandatory requirements for anti-lock braking systems (ABS) starting from April 2020.

Making ABS mandatory will significantly reduce the number of motorcycle crashes which result from loss of control. Motorcyclists have the highest rate of deaths and injuries of any group on our roads, and the mandatory fitting of ABS technology is a much-needed step to help riders stay in control and stay safe”, says NZ Transport Agency General Manager Safety, Health and Environment Greg Lazzaro.

“ABS is a relatively low cost life-saving technology for motorcycles, but it is still not widely adopted in New Zealand. The evidence is clear that it will deliver the highest returns relative to costs of any motorcycle safety technology we have seen,” Mr Lazzaro says.

The mandatory ABS requirement will come into effect from 1 April 2020, through the Land Transport Rule: Light-vehicle Brakes Amendment (No 2) 2019. The new rule makes mandatory the fitting of ABS for new motorcycles over 125cc, with ABS or a combined braking system required for motorcycles over 50cc up to and not exceeding 125cc.

Compulsory ABS for motorcycles is part of the NZ Government’s focus on road safety, which includes the development of the recently released Road to Zero road safety strategy consultation document(external link)
    “Motorcycles make up just four percent of the New Zealand vehicle fleet, yet they were involved in 17 percent of fatal road crashes between 2014 and 2018, with 248 motorcyclists killed during this period.

“We want riders to stay safe on our roads. By mandating life-saving ABS technology, it’s estimated 34 lives can be saved and 375 serious injuries prevented over the next 26 years,” Mr Lazzaro says.

Submissions from the consultation period on the new rule showed a high level of support from the motorcycling community for the mandatory adoption of ABS technology.

The rule change applies to all new-model motorcycles first available for sale in New Zealand from 1 April 2020. Current-model motorcycles and imported used motorcycles will need to have ABS fitted as standard from 1 November 2021.
    Several limited exceptions are included in the rule change, including the importation of classic and collectable motorcycles. These classic and collectable motorcycles account for a small fraction of motorcycle imports. There is no requirement to retrofit ABS to existing motorcycles already registered for use in New Zealand.

More information

The Land Transport Rule: Light-vehicle Brakes Amendment (No 2) 2019 will come into effect 1 April 2020.
    More information is available at http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ru...es-2002-index/.
    For more information on the Land Transport Rules, contact us at rules@nzta.govt.nz.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Frikkin joke if you ask me, retailers are gonna love it, NOT, this will pretty much wipe out 70% of the new motorbikes you can buy.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dak S83 View Post
    Frikkin joke if you ask me, retailers are gonna love it, NOT, this will pretty much wipe out 70% of the new motorbikes you can buy.
    How will this wipe out 70% of the new bikes you can buy?

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    How many new bikes have ABS? Have a look at motorbike sales so far for this year, nearly ALL the big sellers have no ABS. The number 1 seller for 2018 and so far this year is the GSX150, no ABS there. And the year before that before the Gixxer craze the number one seller was the GN125, no ABS there either.

Bike
    motocompo
    I can't remember ever locking a wheel on a bike where it caused me any bother.
    Oh well, lowest common denominator & all that shit.
    I have one bike with abs & traction & tend to actively use them as riding aids rather than emergency/safety devices.
    All they really do is make me ride harder, quite satisfying when they cut in right on cue.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The rule change applies to all new-model motorcycles first available for sale in New Zealand from 1 April 2020. Current-model motorcycles and imported used motorcycles will need to have ABS fitted as standard from 1 November 2021.
    So ... "Older Model" bikes still exempt from this legislation ... ???

Seems funny though ... (lack of) braking ability is seldom the actual issue in a crash ... Authorities still believe that SPEED is the only issue needing attention ... so we should need to slow down better.

Will better brakes really stop more injuries or deaths .. ?? Will it help in red light/stop sign/give way sign "incidents" ... ??

Compulsory Day-Glo clothing for pedestrians at night will save more lives and injuries ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    How many new bikes have ABS? Have a look at motorbike sales so far for this year, nearly ALL the big sellers have no ABS. The number 1 seller for 2018 and so far this year is the GSX150, no ABS there. And the year before that before the Gixxer craze the number one seller was the GN125, no ABS there either.
    GSX150 overseas has had ABS since August 2017, so why would it be so difficult for NZ market?

http://bikeindia.in/new-suzuki-gixxe...d-fi-variants/

Bike
    ABS brakes do not improve stopping distances, they actually make them worse. What ABS allows is to steer while braking as hard as possible, thus avoid loss of traction/direction. That's how they work on cars as well.

Straight line stop, ABS is not really beneficial. Changing direction while braking hard, ABS can be the difference between life and death.

The moment wheel locks up, it's lost control over direction and bike/car will go in the direction of inertia and gravity alone.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    GSX150 overseas has had ABS since August 2017, so why would it be so difficult for NZ market?

http://bikeindia.in/new-suzuki-gixxe...d-fi-variants/
    I was just stating one example, have a look at the sales records for yourself. ALL the big sellers have no ABS and can't see them all of a sudden getting ABS before this so called law comes into effect, it just aint gonna happen. Its yet another law thought up by some pencil pushing pillock that has never even seen, let alone ridden a bike

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    ABS brakes do not improve stopping distances, they actually make them worse. What ABS allows is to steer while braking as hard as possible, thus avoid loss of traction/direction. That's how they work on cars as well.

Straight line stop, ABS is not really beneficial. Changing direction while braking hard, ABS can be the difference between life and death.

The moment wheel locks up, it's lost control over direction and bike/car will go in the direction of inertia and gravity alone.
    Yep, show me an average rider that would be prepared to chuck a bike into a hard turn with the abs chirping.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    FUCK, it's get worse, NO IMPORTS without ABS will comply and therefore that wipes out that market as well. Unless older than 1990. Who the fuck is this pillock Minister Genter?

https://www.transport.govt.nz/land/abs-for-motorcycles/

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    We need someone from NZTA to demonstrate steering while the abs is operating, on damp grass would be the easiest way to get the wheels locked at a moderate speed. For comparison the effect should be demonstrated with a non abs bike as well. I'm picking that there would be little difference in how long it took the rider to fall off.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    so Meany of the duel sports will be gone...
    IE... DR650..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've seen quite a few examples of people saying "I came off coz my brakes locked up".

Which is actually fudging the real cause, being a lack of proper brake application.

I can't see any adverse outcome to this move. Manufacturers chase rules. By then a lot more bikes will have ABS as standard anyway. And if you have a bike with no ABS, its exempted.

Still, gives the moaners another topic to moan about.

Bike
    I was just stating one example, have a look at the sales records for yourself. ALL the big sellers have no ABS and can't see them all of a sudden getting ABS before this so called law comes into effect, it just aint gonna happen. Its yet another law thought up by some pencil pushing pillock that has never even seen, let alone ridden a bike
    That's how it happened in Europe. When the law changed, bikes grew ABS overnight. It's actually cheaper for the manufacturers to offer the same spec bike around the world than do market specific items. Both my last bikes came with ABS standard (around the world).

Thread Information