Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiger 100

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Tiger 100

Finally got my 1953 Tiger 100 purchased on a whim a year ago on TM on the road.
    Lesson there is don't buy a bike that " needs re registering" unless it was imported pre 1999 as you need to jump thru
    more hoops to get it re vinned. Fortunately I'm a member of the VCC so it was easier.
    Turns out the 500 miles on the chronometric speedo is all its done since the rebuild in 1999.
    Discovered that during the 2 hour exercise taking the rear wheel off, measuring the drum/linings and fitting a new tyre to replace the unused but perished one.
    Time to catch the 7:20 into the city ....taking care of business and working overtime .....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cool. Another bike in the cheap rego club.

Bike
    77 XL250
    Next comes the mighty TS185ER. Oh how I am looking forward to navigating the path of registering an old bike where the only paperwork is an old WOF under the seat. Any suggestions - other than take up drugs?
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Finally got my 1953 Tiger 100 purchased on a whim a year ago on TM on the road.
    Lesson there is don't buy a bike that " needs re registering" unless it was imported pre 1999 as you need to jump thru
    more hoops to get it re vinned. Fortunately I'm a member of the VCC so it was easier.
    Turns out the 500 miles on the chronometric speedo is all its done since the rebuild in 1999.
    Discovered that during the 2 hour exercise taking the rear wheel off, measuring the drum/linings and fitting a new tyre to replace the unused but perished one.
    Time to catch the 7:20 into the city ....taking care of business and working overtime .....
    Pics please.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Next comes the mighty TS185ER. Oh how I am looking forward to navigating the path of registering an old bike where the only paperwork is an old WOF under the seat. Any suggestions - other than take up drugs?
    If the WOF under the seat has a rego number on it that makes life easier, but can be done without it.

The VCC chaps are generally pretty helpful sorting out the right paperwork.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    How did a chook chaser end up on my kwality Brit bike thread....
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    So...
    With almost no confidence in old bikes I had Mrs V on van collection standby.
    Rounded up every tool I could find, including recent set of Stahlwille Whitworth spanners.
    Phone, wallet, external battery for phone, charger for battery, water in case I broke down.
    Had to go via the Waitak's as no keen to take the Waterview Tunnel for obvious reasons and also the charging system is not working.
    Stopped for a pic and soon after went onto reserve, strange I thought as recall putting fuel in recently, not to worry fill up at Kumeu.
    Not long after bike stopped, so I now know how far reserve is good for.
    I rang up Santa as I'd been bloody good all year and he sent me out a helper with some fuel.
    From there it was up to Helensville for coffee, the preferred tipple of the modern age biker.

Want to see some pics of my recent under a house pre unit find?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	343885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	741.4 KB 
ID:	343886  

Bike
    Sold
    Just glorious - thanks for posting

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Turns out you can upload pics on your phone even on the train.
    first glimpse of bike covered in a 50 year collection of ‘ stuff’.Owner of recently sold house on 2000 Auckland sq ms is about 80 and used to work for VW here in the early 60’S and then Air New Zealand in the 70’s/80’s. Amongst all the junk was a Honda cop bike, DH Moth Minor, fiat bambinas, 850 sport, VW’s, 80’s Cadilac( not viewed as under cover) and lots of other stuff/junk. He is one of those who kept all his vehicles but left most outside to rust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13A767AC-8316-412F-9546-04E01C4240E6.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	781.6 KB 
ID:	343887  

Bike
    77 XL250
    'Tigger' looks great Volty. You forget how spartan they are by later standards.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Oh I Dunno, gee they were ahead of their time. I'm guessing that the momoshock I'd hidden under the tank, and well Skidmark would be impressed; USD forks, with some sort of black coating pre DLC.

Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Yep, they are pretty basic.
    With the rebuilt and remagnetised mag it starts and runs a lot better.
    I'm running a monobloc carb off a T100 project, as the early one floods.
    50 MPH is fast but I did end up on the motorway due to a detour and it kept pace with the traffic but with a large braking distance allowed for.
    The rear suspension is a sprung hub and offers some movement but not a lot.
    Front end is telescopic but the similarity with later forks pretty much ends there.
    It is however very engaging to ride, sounds great and transports you to another era.
    I've got my eye on this but even more impractical for Auckland riding...
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2432005527

Bike
    1997 Honda VFR750
    I thought 3 speed Sturmey-Archer gears were only on pushbikes! They were the standard on pushbikes in the 70s, I'm sure you must have had one Volty!

Bike
    husaberg
    Find yourself a friendly JP, one who knows you and is still friendly. if you can get a declaration of the previous owners that it was sold to you hand was not solen it will need a police check as well if its that far back i think the database was manual.
    I did one years ago i was pretty painless although time consuming.
    I have an TS185ER frame here with a vin on it, no idea re its history i only wanted the swing arm for the RD. you can have it if you can sort the frieght i can get it to CHCH or Nelson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    77 XL250
    Thanks for that Husaberg. I thought the police thing was a thing of the past as they won't run the checks for you any more. Someone I know is going through the process in Wgtn, so I will use the same path myself. The most difficult part seems to be finding the right people for each step.

Bike
    husaberg
    Thanks for that Husaberg. I thought the police thing was a thing of the past as they won't run the checks for you any more. Someone I know is going through the process in Wgtn, so I will use the same path myself. The most difficult part seems to be finding the right people for each step.
    Mine was years ago. last i heard it was pretty much the same though. post the process on here when you have done it.
    I remember having to tell the WOF guy what the laws were for older bikes with indicators etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information