Thread: Power “discounts”

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Power “discounts”

One for the maths teachers and scientists on here.... re the power price discount debacle... using 2017 numbers

NZ generated 42911 Gigawatt hours for the year, 31% consumed by the residential market at average of 30c kilowatt hour. GST is charged at 13% (for some tetchy reason instead of 15). 60% of NZ pays their power bill on time and typically get close to 20% prompt payment/online/email bill discount.... if we lose that the govt gets about roughly $60 million extra in GST revenue.... follow the money always

No word about late payment penalties for property rates or income tax....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I never considered that a discount. It was always a built in late payment penalty.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    motocompo
    I understand rather than removing the prompt payment discount, everyone will be getting it, even if they are tardy payers.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I never considered that a discount. It was always a built in late payment penalty.
    Same, it was all in the wording.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    “In what may prove one of the most controversial changes directly affecting consumers, the Government plans to phase out the requirement for electricity companies to sell plans that offer a low fixed daily charge and a higher variable charge for power used.

Industry sources said about 60 per cent of consumers were on such low-fixed charge tariffs, but the Government has ordered officials to develop proposals to phase them out.

Households that consume less than about 8000 kilowatt-hours of electricity a year can expect to lose out to varying degrees from that particular change, depending on how little power they consume.”

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Current contract is bill is x amount but if you pay on time it’s less than x. They will not lower everyone’s bills. In fact some in the 60% bracket who pay on time might start paying later and those who already pay late have no incentive to pay bill at all.
    Power companies will not wear a loss in revenue as they are a private profit making business. Prices will creep up to cover this social engineering

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Well, we accepted that it was cool for bulk users to pay less for their electricity. Quite insane, but completely understandable
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    So now instead of prompt payment discount, there will be a late payment charge, is this a win for the power companies? Or is it just Tomato/Tomatoe

My thinking is that if the rate per unit remains the same (and in many cases this is agreed for a set term), but the prompt payment discount is removed, it has just increased the majority of people's power bill by 20%. Those who don't pay by the due date will now pay an additional x% above what they are currently paying.

And as above, all of this with extra 15% GST for the government as a bonus for them.

Be careful what you wish for people, there will always be a way to turn what you think you want into a win for them......
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Thread Information