Thread: Wiring in a "normally open" tether kill switch

Bike
    Me Bucket, MT01, Commando 850

Wiring in a "normally open" tether kill switch

In preparation for Greymouth, I have a tether kill switch that's designed to close the switch to ground (normally open circuit). Much trawling on the web seems to indicate connecting this to the coil feed wire from the CDI to kill the engine is a bad idea (although all the pit bike boys and gals seem to do it this way). My old XR200 grounded one of the stator wires, but on an FXR, which one? Anybody wired one of these in to an FXR running standard electrics minus the battery? Might be easier to get hold of a "normally closed" tether switch and wire it in series to the kill switch I already have........
    Thanks muchly - Nick

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I've always used normally closed versions. Old school dirt bikes used normally open, I doubt they do any more.

Bike
    GPR150
    one way is earthing the coil wire or the other type of switch is braking the - or+ if total loss
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    Me Bucket, MT01, Commando 850
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    one way is earthing the coil wire or the other type of switch is braking the - or+ if total loss
    Thanks All - picked up a good quality "normally closed" full switch kit yesterday from TSS in the Hutt. They have both types on the shelf if anybody down here near Welly needs one.
    Cheers
    Nick

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Normally closed kill switches tend to fail-safe: if the wiring to the switch fails open, or the switch corrodes or falls apart, the bike cuts out and that is usually safe ... but switch contacts can get welded shut by passing excess current or high voltage spikes (such as on an ignition system/coil's output, obviously, but also possibly on the input side), and the wiring can short out (so make sure the connections are secure e.g. soldered or properly crimped, and well insulated).

Normally open kill switches tend to fail unsafe: broken switches or wires, loose contacts, corrosion or dirt in the switch may prevent it cutting the bike when it is needed ... but shorts in the wiring are likely to cut the bike and that is usually safe. Annoying but safe. Usually.

Thread Information