Thread: useless traffic lights

Bike
    dr650, 636 ninja

useless traffic lights

Please anybody with knowledge on this enlighten me. What's with needing a tent to camp out at certain traffic lights if its late and there are no cars around. I've had to double back multiple times ( as I'm perfect and never run a red) even if its 4am no one's around and the traffic lights are in a different dimension completely unaware of you're existence.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i have resorted to pushing the ped x buttons to stop the other traffic(or try to get the lights to cycle my way)

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Quote Originally Posted by pommy bastard View Post
    Please anybody with knowledge on this enlighten me. What's with needing a tent to camp out at certain traffic lights if its late and there are no cars around. I've had to double back multiple times ( as I'm perfect and never run a red) even if its 4am no one's around and the traffic lights are in a different dimension completely unaware of you're existence.

The lights go to on demand. The magnetic loop sensors in the road dont often pick up a bike due to the reduced amount of metal. Shoot the red, applying give way rules.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    The lights go to on demand. The magnetic loop sensors in the road dont often pick up a bike due to the reduced amount of metal. Shoot the red, applying give way rules.
    find the cut on the seal where the loop is, pop you sidestand out and onto that often works

Bike
    suzuki
    ask the motorcycle safety action council to investigate it for you, not safe sitting in the middle of the road for a period of time .

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    or better, report it to the council, and they will send someone out to recalibrate.. they do it for motorbikes and bicycles..there are LOTs of red light cameras in auckland these days...
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Upgraded to 765!
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    or better, report it to the council, and they will send someone out to recalibrate.. they do it for motorbikes and bicycles..there are LOTs of red light cameras in auckland these days...
    Didn't know that. Have you done it previously?

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    sure have, bike auckland (for cyclists) asked the council because they had a lot of complaints about them not detecting bicycles. Were told they should detect bicycles as well, and to go here to report it:
    https://at.govt.nz/about-us/asset-ma...t-maintenance/

(apparently now the green cycle boxes at the front of traffic queues are bicycle specific detectors)
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    NC30s

(apparently now the green cycle boxes at the front of traffic queues are bicycle specific detectors)
    Was not aware of this. Good to know.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    sure have, bike auckland (for cyclists) asked the council because they had a lot of complaints about them not detecting bicycles. Were told they should detect bicycles as well, and to go here to report it:
    https://at.govt.nz/about-us/asset-ma...t-maintenance/

Since when did cyclists stop at red lights?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    When they are sure the morons in cars behind them arent going to run them off the road?
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    find the cut on the seal where the loop is, pop you sidestand out and onto that often works
    Better to stop with your wheel rim over (parallel with) the sensor lines.

Sensored traffic signals around here are mostly the double-loop type. The middle line is the most sensitive bit ... and stopping there works for me.

YMMV

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Since when did cyclists stop at red lights?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Yeah - I've never seen one stop...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Yeah - I've never seen one stop...
    I always used to stop for a red. Didn't always wait for a green though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I always used to stop for a red. Didn't always wait for a green though.
    ^ exactly.
    ZRXOA #9170

Thread Information