Thread: Newbie

Bike
    R1200RT LC

I'm a motorcycle instructor. But I've only done road and track stuff. BMW only for some some years now, primarily road but had an 1150GS a while back.

I've gone back that way, a 1200GS. I fancy some gravel roads, just to build some confidence on loose surfaces.

Where does one start? Just jump in the deep end?

Bike
    motocompo
    Start by turning the abs off unless you want to go slowly off the road.
    If you want to steer it a bit on the throttle turn the traction off too, it also allows you to make the front light if you find the front ploughing in deep gravel.
    Also, don't start two up or with panniers or top box, use a tank bag if you have one & sit comfortably at the front of the seat. Steer it when needed in slower deep gravel sections by weighting the inside foot peg while standing up, they have quite a washy front & that overcomes it somewhat, you can practice how much/little weight is required on the pegs to achieve turning by trying it out on a deserted tar seal road first. Stand up, relax your arms & start alternating weight from one foot peg to the other allowing the steering free movement to follow the lean angle, increasing weight & time on each peg as you go. I would mix that with seated riding in smoother faster bits, as standing up comes with its own challenges, and you can't do that all day.
    Remember, It's nothing like a CRF450 on gravel.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've gone back that way, a 1200GS.

you'll need to get a tweed jacket with some suede elbow pads on it first, and a vaping kit, although we call those douche flutes.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you'll need to get a tweed jacket with some suede elbow pads on it first, and a vaping kit, although we call those douche flutes.
    Got those with the bike. Sorted.

Bike
    KTM
    It will take ages to unlearn your natural road instincts, so just take it easy on some nice flat gravel that you can loop up and work at slowly increasing your corner speed.

I'd leave ABS on, just don't go fast and practice using engine braking to manage speed.

You can sit or stand, if sitting at least lean WAY forward so your guts are right over the tank and your weight is as far forward as you can. Or stand / squat up and do the same thing (weight forward)

You're down south so you've got all options open, stick with public graded roads and build up some confidence.

good times ahead!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I wouldn't go more than nipple deep to begin with..

Good observational planning keeps gravel riding fun without the pucker.

Try to get all your braking done in a straight line, pick a clean(ish) line.

Watch the cambers, they can be friend or enemy.

If the bike gets a little squirrely in deeper gravel the throttle is your friend but it's the back wheel which points in the direction you're going.

To help control that back wheel, as said, use peg weighting. Inside peg will allow it to slide, outside peg and a corresponding body shift will help to gain traction or control a slide. It's much smoother compensating with your body weight rather than being on and off the throttle.

The bike will move around, stay relaxed and trust the engineering. They don't throw themselves down on the road, nor do they on gravel. All the principles are the same but loose surfaces are more dynamic and you can't muscle the mass.

Stopping in the distance you can see to be clear still applies.....

I would suggest practising some basic handling on different surfaces to give yourself some good parameters.

The bikes don't care and are still remarkably competent on the loose.

Keep your weight forward and let that rear wheel do it's thing.

Enjoy and do big slidey slides when no one is looking.

Oh, don't worry about tyres. Much guff is preached but a big bike will spin up an ice racing tyre on gravel. Being smooth and good lines is the go.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    F800GS
    Just jump in and go for a ride, there's heaps of options down your way. You'll figure out what works and what doesnt.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've gone back that way, a 1200GS. I fancy some gravel roads, just to build some confidence on loose surfaces.

Depending on river flow I'm looking at doing Lees Valley loop this weekend if you want to come along, most of it isn't that difficult and I'll be on a 1956 BSA 650 so you might even keep up
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Depending on river flow I'm looking at doing Lees Valley loop this weekend if you want to come along, most of it isn't that difficult and I'll be on a 1956 BSA 650 so you might even keep up
    Cheers, but I'm not picking the new GS up until 31 Oct.

Just want to gain some confidence letting the back wheel move around under me before taking on such challenges. For sure I'l take you up on the offer at some stage though.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Road.... weight inside peg... keep body weight below bikes centre line...
    lose surfaces..... Weight the out side peg..... keep body weight above the bikes centre line..

So it is the opposite to what you have been doing...

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Road.... weight inside peg... keep body weight below bikes centre line...
    lose surfaces..... Weight the out side peg..... keep body weight above the bikes centre line..

So it is the opposite to what you have been doing...

Can't wait to try this stuff. Thanks. So much to learn.

Thread Information