Thread: Moto TT Track days at Manfield- whos' dome one lately?

Bike
    Indian Scout

Moto TT Track days at Manfield- whos' dome one lately?

WHO HAS DONE ONE LATELY?
    Been several years since I did a track day and some friends want to give it ago and it has tweated my interest to give the new 765 Street a serious nudge. One thing that stopped me going was they insisted one day that my jacket and pants must be zipped together . My jacket and pants at that time were mis-matched and wouldn't join so I walked away. Rather pissed off at the Organisers by the way after years of supporting their events.

There's no mention on Moto TT website about one-piece suits being required or that jacket and pants must be joined. Anyone done one lately who can confirm they don't insist on supporting the zip repair business anymore. On principle I am not buying new gear just to appease politically correct wokesters.
    edit- yeah I spotted my typo in the title.

Oh yeah and they threatened to ban me for doing wheelies. FFS it's a track day where we can supposedly push our riding limits!!!
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2022 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK
    They are not trying to support a zip business, they are trying to keep you safe. If you arse off and hurt yourself, it becomes harder for them to run the event again or they need to create more rules to protect the next idiot who thinks they know more.
    The wheelie lecture is the same at every have-a-go day. It's not a stunt day, its an opportunity to ride hard and fast without fucking up the other riders around you.
    Its always funny to listen to newbies like yourself at the riders briefing talking it up, and then you watch them on the track and wonder what all the noise was about.
    The people at these events are volunteers who have given up their day to ensure you can have the most fun you can with your pants on, why don't you show them some respect and just follow instructions?

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairymcsweary View Post
    Its always funny to listen to newbies like yourself at the riders briefing talking it up, and then you watch them on the track and wonder what all the noise was about.
    You obviously don't know me. Have you done a few hundred track days over decades and racing? I have and I am quite familiar with the need to wear protection thank you and haven't been called a newbie or considered slow or inexperienced since the 1970s.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    You obviously don't know me. Have you done a few hundred track days over decades and racing? I have and I am quite familiar with the need to wear protection thank you and haven't been called a newbie or considered slow or inexperienced since the 1970s.
    If you're that old and familiar with the need to wear protective clothing why are you moaning about having to wear joined-up jacket and pants ?

I'm probably at least as old or older and before that reg was brought in I remember seeing some bloody horrible damage caused by gear coming apart at the waist.
    Last thing you need is exposed skin when sliding along the ground.

Calling it woke or politically correct is misguided at best. Ignorant at worst.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairymcsweary View Post
    They are not trying to support a zip business, they are trying to keep you safe. If you arse off and hurt yourself, it becomes harder for them to run the event again or they need to create more rules to protect the next idiot who thinks they know more.
    The wheelie lecture is the same at every have-a-go day. It's not a stunt day, its an opportunity to ride hard and fast without fucking up the other riders around you.
    The people at these events are volunteers who have given up their day to ensure you can have the most fun you can with your pants on, why don't you show them some respect and just follow instructions?
    Couple of points:

1. MotoTT is a private, for-profit business which runs trackdays. No volunteers. Everyone there is on some sort of quid pro quo.

2. Because of that, it follows they are a PCBU and that the racetrack is a workplace. Any death or injury to a staff member will be investigated by a child employed by "Worksafe". If prosecuted the results would be dire. I am not sure what would happen if a participant killed themselves or was killed on track. Or for example died while participating. That happened in Leeston, just out of Christchurch, earlier this year: a man (who I was related to) suffered an accident at high speed while participating in a motorsport event. There was much interest from the authorities, and much scrutiny of process and procedure. I believe the consensus is that he suffered a medical event causing the accident but that he died from head trauma from hitting a wall at speed. (in a speedway car, not a motorcycle).

3. HSWA compliance is about risk management and risk mitigation. So it is entirely reasonable that a riders briefing be held, that rules are in place AND ENFORCED and unnecessary and pointless behaviour be discouraged by way of black flag. You are there to go roundy roundy not up and downy. It is also reasonable that proper rider safety protocols be insisted upon, and enforced.

4. I did look at the MotoTT website and it doesnt mention their requirements for leathers to be "zip together or one piece" just, in effect, proper motorbike riding kit. I know that when you enrol in one of their trackdays they send you some stuff (including the all important waiver and acknowledgment) but I can't find any of that stuff now.

5. MotoTT ran the best organised trackday I have ever been on. I also won a spot prize of a set of tyres which is the first time I have ever won anything.

6. I dont have a lot of sympathy for OP either - if you want to play in their sandpit then you have to play by their rules. Maybe OP has some legitemate grievance if the requirement was not made clear, which I think is the source of the whinge above, but meh. Who rides on track without proper kit?

7. I have no sympathy for the whinge about not being allowed to do wheelies. Again - their sandpit, their rules. And if you read the above there might be compelling business reasons (and thus financial reasons) for said rules.

8. The best place to do wheelies is up Colombo Street, butt naked on your Hayabusa. Anything less is pointless.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

Ignorant, definitely ignorant

Even 25 + years ago at Have a go days down here it was zip together as a minimum
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Couple of points:

4. I did look at the MotoTT website and it doesnt mention their requirements for leathers to be "zip together or one piece" just, in effect, proper motorbike riding kit. I know that when you enrol in one of their trackdays they send you some stuff (including the all important waiver and acknowledgment) but I can't find any of that stuff now.

6. I dont have a lot of sympathy for OP either - if you want to play in their sandpit then you have to play by their rules. Maybe OP has some legitemate grievance if the requirement was not made clear, which I think is the source of the whinge above, but meh. Who rides on track without proper kit?

7. I have no sympathy for the whinge about not being allowed to do wheelies. Again - their sandpit, their rules. And if you read the above there might be compelling business reasons (and thus financial reasons) for said rules.

Pt 4- That's why I asked the question. It is not specified and I simply wanted clarification, not crucifixion in which case I would have taken the second door on the right.
    Pt 6 & 7 Get stuffed dickhead I don't want your sympathy, reinsert it up your arse. And yeah that's just what I did. I obeyed the 'their sandpit, their rules' and stopped attending track days. Wonder why track days are suffering low attendance these days? Fun police poofters won.
    If you're that old and familiar with the need to wear protective clothing why are you moaning about having to wear joined-up jacket and pants ?

I'm probably at least as old or older and before that reg was brought in I remember seeing some bloody horrible damage caused by gear coming apart at the waist.

Where did I say I wear unsafe gear? I won't ride to the letterbox without ATGATT. FFS I would have ridden 20,000-25,000km ever year recreationally since the 70s. I do have some bloody good idea of what safe clothing on road and track is.

Who let the poofters out anyway. No wonder this site is going down the gurgler. I'm out of here and thanks for the fish.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Pt 4- That's why I asked the question. It is not specified and I simply wanted clarification, not crucifixion in which case I would have taken the second door on the right.
    Pt 6 & 7 Get stuffed dickhead I don't want your sympathy, reinsert it up your arse. And yeah that's just what I did. I obeyed the 'their sandpit, their rules' and stopped attending track days. Wonder why track days are suffering low attendance these days? Fun police poofters won.

Where did I say I wear unsafe gear? I won't ride to the letterbox without ATGATT. FFS I would have ridden 20,000-25,000km ever year recreationally since the 70s. I do have some bloody good idea of what safe clothing on road and track is.

Who let the poofters out anyway. No wonder this site is going down the gurgler. I'm out of here and thanks for the fish.
    ............and welcome to my ignore list.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    husaberg

I was watching a podcast from ian lougher today he was explaining how great the newer leathers were compared to the old thin unpadded ones . He specifically mentioned getting gangrene from gravel rash.

Yes he does mention the nz trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    BSA A10
    Pt 4- That's why I asked the question. It is not specified and I simply wanted clarification
    If you wanted clarification you would have used the contact form on their website and asked, instead of coming here and whining about how you stopped going to them because of the requirement for zip together two piece

Wonder why track days are suffering low attendance these days?
    Except the ones down here are packed

Where did I say I wear unsafe gear?
    Where did he say you wore unsafe gear ? yeah, that's right, he didn't

Seeya later snowflake
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki

Oh yeah and they threatened to ban me for doing wheelies. FFS it's a track day where we can supposedly push our riding limits!!!
    I ran entire track days in the 1990's, the last thing we needed was wheelies as while there's people who know how to do them others try to mimic them and it always turns bad, take a look at some of the motorway mayhem videos on you tube, you get the idea. Grab a farm bike and head to porirua and make a name for yourself if you're that good, you'll be their new hero.

Bike
    husaberg

I remember Kenny Roberts not being so happy with Randy crashing whilst trying to impress the crowd with wheelies....
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I remember Kenny Roberts not being so happy with Randy crashing whilst trying to impress the crowd with wheelies....
    We got one idiot here that thinks that's ok, massive cloud of smoke so you can't even see the bike sometimes, and they let him keep on doing it.....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Yup that fucked Bubba's career. A lot of people still hate Magee for that act.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I'm out of here
    Nobody cares.

Zip up 2 piece has been a thing as long as I can remember. Guess you didnt really want to do it then.
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information