Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being seen. Why is black the favoured colour for motorcyclists?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Hmm, seems some don’t even need a vest.

Surely the real question is, if you don a piece of motorcycle clothing that isn’t black, what does that make you?

A minority?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    ...Surely the real question is, if you don a piece of motorcycle clothing that isn’t black, what does that make you?
    Get seen better ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Pani
    Wear what you like, its to us to be aware and drive with lights and whatever clothing we deem appropriate, including black. The other end of the spectrum are the "Polite " vests, white helmets and bikes so beloved by the cocks.

Bike
    Pani
    Mind you the cocks have a point as cars do slow and get out the way when they see one.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    The other end of the spectrum are the "Polite " vests, white helmets and bikes so beloved by the cocks.
    Get fucked. I have a white helmet because when I was in the market everyone and his dog had a matt black one and I don't really want to blend in with all you cocksuckers. I then read some research that said it did not matter what colour helmet I wore because it was me riding the bike and my risk wouldn't change so when trying a new one on for size last month I went matt black to match the bike. I'm just thankful I don't have a red bike, imagine how embarrassing that must be. Might as well dress in hi-viz with a fucking strobe light on your head.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I started wearing a high vis after riding in a group where one person wore one. I was surprised how much more visible he was than the rest of us.

It does help on the motorway, probably because drivers are more likely to notice the colour in their peripheral vision.

But it doesn't help if people don't look before pulling out in front of you...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Pani
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Get fucked. I have a white helmet because when I was in the market everyone and his dog had a matt black one and I don't really want to blend in with all you cocksuckers. I then read some research that said it did not matter what colour helmet I wore because it was me riding the bike and my risk wouldn't change so when trying a new one on for size last month I went matt black to match the bike. I'm just thankful I don't have a red bike, imagine how embarrassing that must be. Might as well dress in hi-viz with a fucking strobe light on your head.
    you fearsome fucker you..

Bike
    It was on the good
    I want one of them now.

Bike
    77 XL250
    And I used to wear this - and had the bike to match. The traffic used to part like the Red Sea when I steamed up from behind.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I started wearing a high vis after riding in a group where one person wore one. I was surprised how much more visible he was than the rest of us.

It does help on the motorway, probably because drivers are more likely to notice the colour in their peripheral vision.

But it doesn't help if people don't look before pulling out in front of you...
    ....Like the lady driving a sporty saloon near EIT today. I was following an arborist truck that turned left on a risky junction off the 70 kph road, heading towards the Napier/Hastings expressway. Knowing that the truck blocked sight of me (and my newly-washed high viz!) from anyone at the junction, I passed him cautiously peering left to the junction ... and sure enough a car pulled out of the junction right across my path. The driver mouthed 'Sorry' at me. Hopefully the near-miss made her a bit wiser and a bit more careful next time (as it did for me). I'm just relieved to have avoided t-boning her to complete her lesson.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Hopefully the near-miss made her a bit wiser and a bit more careful next time (as it did for me). I'm just relieved to have avoided t-boning her to complete her lesson.
    Too many of those crashes. You can blame the car driver for pulling out when they couldn't see that the way was clear, and rightly should, but too many riders don't do what you do and just bimble along in the massive blind spot and wonder why they end up sprawled on the bonnet.

Positioning is way more important than the colour of clothes if you ask me.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....Like the lady driving a sporty saloon near EIT today. I was following an arborist truck that turned left on a risky junction off the 70 kph road, heading towards the Napier/Hastings expressway. Knowing that the truck blocked sight of me (and my newly-washed high viz!) from anyone at the junction, I passed him cautiously peering left to the junction ... and sure enough a car pulled out of the junction right across my path. The driver mouthed 'Sorry' at me. Hopefully the near-miss made her a bit wiser and a bit more careful next time (as it did for me). I'm just relieved to have avoided t-boning her to complete her lesson.
    ...no sighs needed...you should have known that could happen...you avoided a near death...well done...another KB thinker...you're odd...

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    The Ride Forever silver training I enjoyed on Sunday more than paid for itself already!

Bike
    Pani
    The Ride Forever silver training I enjoyed on Sunday more than paid for itself already!
    funny thing is if you get squashed while out riding you have ridden forever

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)
    I wear black leathers (and a white helmet).
    I prefer the black as I want to assume that I am invisible. There is the risk that wearing a Hi-Viz vest will lure you into assuming that drivers will see you. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. Better to assume that they can't/won't/don't see you, and ride accordingly.
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Thread Information