Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being seen. Why is black the favoured colour for motorcyclists?

Bike
    Several old ones

Being seen. Why is black the favoured colour for motorcyclists?

Black jackets, pants, helmets, is it fashion, or is it cool to be in black and be hard to see.
    Most motorcycle stores have majority black clothing for sale
    Hey I have black jackets , pants and boots, I wear this colour only because, it is the main colour the shops sell.
    BUT, I have a silver helmet, and I ride often with guys that have mainly white and silver helmets. (yeah we are not cool)

The point I want to make if anyone is interested is that when following these bikes the riders with white, silver and light
    coloured helmets are far more visible at distance than those with dark helmets that just blend them into the countryside.

I am an older rider, so I dont give a hoot whether my light coloured helmet is cool or not.

If it was fashionable to have light coloured helmets I think riders would be more visible and hopefully be seen more by the one eyed cagers.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Black jackets, pants, helmets, is it fashion, or is it cool to be in black and be hard to see.
    Hey I have black jackets , pants and boots, I wear this colour only because, it is the main colour the shops sell.
    BUT, I have a silver helmet, and I ride often with guys that have mainly white and silver helmets. (yeah we are not cool)

The point I want to make if anyone is interested is that when following these bikes the riders with white, silver and light
    coloured helmets are far more visible at distance than those with dark helmets that just blend them into the countryside.

I am an older rider, so I dont give a hoot whether my light coloured helmet is cool or not.

If it was fashionable to have light coloured helmets I think riders would be more visible and hopefully be seen more by the one eyed cagers.
    the majority of stuff on the shelf is usually black / dark colour.

I dont think many riders see it as a fashion choice.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

It's so we can run away and disappear into the darkness after a chase we escaped from (just before we crashed the bike...)
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Sold

I was 62 when the attached photo was taken 10 years ago so I must have been a trend setter . Still got the silver and black leathers and they still fit me. I have a light multi-coloured helmet and mostly wear a hi-viz vest but it's debatable how much they contribute to our visibility if other road users miss a decent headlight shining towards them. You're right about the availability of coloured clothing though. Just bought a Rev'it mesh jacket for summer. Three different colours available overseas, only black in NZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackbird, March 2009.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	788.9 KB 
ID:	343530  

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    About ten months ago I bought a Helite Turtle airbag vest, high vis yellow primary colour and broad retroreflective silver striping. Never thought I'd be in the high vis brigade... the primary purpose of the vest was some level of protection in the event of a crash.

Thing is, though - it works. Definite improvement in drivers spotting the biker, particularly twilight / after dark.

Agree with comments re white / yellow helmets - by far the best choice for visibility, probably better than a vest.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    have aways had light coloured helmets i would never get a dark colour I always try to get white with some graphics

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I saw someone riding a bike with a white helmet and I thought "wow, that really stands out". My next helmet was white and so was the one after that. When I need to replace my current helmet it will be with a white helmet again.

In some ways the black gear is helpful, the white helmet really stands out against the black gear, high contrast is not a bad thing if you want to be visible!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Must admit my next hemlet will be hi viz yellow. They stand out like mutts nuts.

When I started riding, before I started shaving daily, my Dad made me wear a hi viz helmet and the logic has stuck with me.

I'm still looking for a good self adhesive hi viz product to brighten up my existing helmets.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Bikes don't get seen because people DONT LOOK, plenty of hi vis cyclists and transport and logistics workers who will also agree.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Bikes don't get seen because people DONT LOOK, plenty of hi vis cyclists and transport and logistics workers who will also agree.
    but you may as well try to stack the deck in your favour.esp at little or minimal cost/inconvenience( ie order a helmet instead of take one of the shelf)

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    but you may as well try to stack the deck in your favour.esp at little or minimal cost/inconvenience( ie order a helmet instead of take one of the shelf)
    True, some people don't look and many don't see.

But as above, every little helps.

I've never considered "the look" of bike gear. Does it fit? Does it work? Is the price right? Sold.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    bandit

Didn't see no hi-viz in The Wild One ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Pani
    The main reason is that as soon as you don a high vis vest you become a total cock.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    The main reason is that as soon as you don a high vis vest you become a total cock.
    Or just another rebel against the system of conformation?

Taking responsibility for ones own safety no matter how little it may seem, is worth it.

Being different is hard.

Black is slimming dont you know.

why is it those same black clothes always seem to shrink the fastest....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Hmm, seems some don’t even need a vest.

Surely the real question is, if you don a piece of motorcycle clothing that isn’t black, what does that make you?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information