Thread: Nevis road 2-up on a R1100GS

Bike
    1997 BMW R1100GS

Nevis road 2-up on a R1100GS

Haven't done a whole lot of riding so this was quite the mission. Only other time I was facing proper river crossings was Macetown last year when I had to turn around halfway in because the river was too high and was gonna scoop water in the air intake..
    Went from Garston side up north to Bannockburn.
    Definitely built up some good confidence on the bike tackling all the terrain, but now I really understand the value of a lighter bike..
    We're actually looking for a dual-purpose bike for the MRS at the moment (has to be LAMS) - just in case any good deals are out there. Have been keeping a close eye on Trademe, but since we got a new car recently the budget isn't what we'd want it to be.

A quick video on how we went through the Nevis:

Open to any and all tips you can spot from the video - keen to learn and be more confident at this whole endeavor.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by krastinrobis View Post

Open to any and all tips you can spot from the video - keen to learn and be more confident at this whole endeavor.
    Great day, and well-edited video.

My advice - Stand up. It's always better when you do for balance, for visibility, and bike control. Feels odd on a big bike, I know, but it's definitely the correct technique. You can still foot when necessary, just as easily as when seated, but the benefits of riding standing by far outweigh any perceived negatives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commisioners Creek.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	847.2 KB 
ID:	343597  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The Nevis valley road is not open all year round, this is due to rapid and radical changes in local weather. High rainfall in short periods (with snow) can change river water levels and flow rates drastically. In summer front wheel drive cars go through there with no issues (usually) but a walk through prior to crossing is seldom a waste of time. When they open the Nevis for summer, the grader goes through. So around this time, the road is in pretty good shape and river crossings are (usually) predicable. Snow in summer is not unheard of, so the Nevis cannot be treated lightly,

The 650 BMW's are popular for these areas (but I know of a guy taking a 1200 Goldwing through there), and I think learner legal.

There are also plenty of side trails and tracks, and other exits from the Nevis valley. Some require permission and keys for locked gates.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Great day, and well-edited video.

My advice - Stand up. It's always better when you do for balance, for visibility, and bike control. Feels odd on a big bike, I know, but it's definitely the correct technique. You can still foot when necessary, just as easily as when seated, but the benefits of riding standing by far outweigh any perceived negatives.
    Plus one for standing up. Handling is much easier. You have to adjust your controls (brake and clutch lever) to suit to the standing position though, possibly rise the handlebar if you are a taller person. One more thing, momentum is your friend on this bike... I learned it on the hard way... keep i moving. By the way, very nice video, I wish I would have patience to do the editing...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Have you seen this bloke's videos on youtube?

Mototrek, based in the Pacific North-West.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWh...eOmEU065h-8kUw

Might have something that may be of help.

Bike
    1997 BMW R1100GS
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    Plus one for standing up. Handling is much easier. You have to adjust your controls (brake and clutch lever) to suit to the standing position though, possibly rise the handlebar if you are a taller person. One more thing, momentum is your friend on this bike... I learned it on the hard way... keep i moving. By the way, very nice video, I wish I would have patience to do the editing...
    Thanks arpa and Racing Dave! Gotta admit after watching a few of the gravel road standing up videos I've spent a couple rides trying to see if it would work for me, but being 6'6" (198cm) a.k.a "a taller person" even the massive R1100GS seems too small somehow. As Racing Dave already said: it feels really odd.
    I'll need to try again after adjusting the handlebars likely. Looking of going up Skippers road this weekend and take a peek up Branches rd so maybe there if there are any more open sections where I can see if a Unimog is coming at me covering 110% of the road area.

And I can definitely agree about the momentum thing - have learnt it the hard way a couple times (you can see at least one of them in the video too).

Thanks for the good words about the video - they all go directly to the MRS who managed to stay on the back of the bike for the most part, but also crossed quite a few of those fords on foot.

Bike
    1997 BMW R1100GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Have you seen this bloke's videos on youtube?

Mototrek, based in the Pacific North-West.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWh...eOmEU065h-8kUw

Might have something that may be of help.
    Thanks Moi! Yeah I've watched a lot of Brets videos along with others on YouTube - A LOT of great info there! Especially for riding the heavyer ADV bikes.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Thanks arpa and Racing Dave! Gotta admit after watching a few of the gravel road standing up videos I've spent a couple rides trying to see if it would work for me, but being 6'6" (198cm) a.k.a "a taller person" even the massive R1100GS seems too small somehow. As Racing Dave already said: it feels really odd.
    I'll need to try again after adjusting the handlebars likely. Looking of going up Skippers road this weekend and take a peek up Branches rd so maybe there if there are any more open sections where I can see if a Unimog is coming at me covering 110% of the road area.

And I can definitely agree about the momentum thing - have learnt it the hard way a couple times (you can see at least one of them in the video too).

Thanks for the good words about the video - they all go directly to the MRS who managed to stay on the back of the bike for the most part, but also crossed quite a few of those fords on foot.
    Hi, how did the ride go? Wasn't too wet? Regarding to being toll, I was considering to install bar risers (I'm 190 cm) however gripping the tank with my knees takes a bit away from my height so I leave it for now. I still learning to ride offroad as well, and agree with the odd feeling about handling this size of bike, which is not consequently bad feeling, just doesn't feel natural just yet. I tried a few things from the the internet (such a wonderful source) with ignoring what I thought is correct and yes worked well (low speed tight turn is the best example) so the rest is just a matter of time (lot less than otherwise).
    I looking forward to see the next video.

Bike
    1997 BMW R1100GS
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    Hi, how did the ride go? Wasn't too wet?
    It wasn't bad at all! Hit a bit of rain on my way out, but nothing to scare me off. The river was quite high so couldn't quite make it all the way in to Branches - a great reason to return! Spent most of the time riding standing up so got a lot more confidence in that bit.

The bars were definitely too low - I adjusted them after the ride and on my little test ride to Wanaka the next day the standing position felt a lot more natural. Ready for the next mission in to Macetown when the rivers drop or maybe go up Old Man/Woman range...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Ready for the next mission ... maybe go up Old Man/Woman range...
    Plenty of riding there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	248.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	343663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	298.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	343664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	435.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	343665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1086.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	343668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1094.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	343667  

Thread Information